Alien - Theatrical cut or Directors Cut?

Started by Space_Dementia, Dec 25, 2011, 09:06:30 PM

Which cut do you prefer and why?

Theatrical
22 (56.4%)
Directors Cut
17 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author
Alien - Theatrical cut or Directors Cut? (Read 33,650 times)

Space_Dementia

I personally prefer the Directors cut, but then I always tend to, as I feel it gives the story more depth and feeling, fleshes out little details. The reason why I thought id ask was because I read a interview a while back that indicated Scott preferred the Original cut, even though he released the Directors cut version, his favourite version is actually the one all you first seen in the cinema. I cant remember where I read this interview, may have been Empire...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I very personally prefer the Theatrical cut. Like the 'What are my chances?' sequence and the lack of eggmorphing. Otherwise I like the DC as well, but I'm just more affectioned to the TC.

EEV-2501

Interesting question. For Aliens and Alien3 I say DC for both but for Alien, I honestly don't know. The Director's Cut give us more details and more rythm in some scenes but the Theatrical Cut is really representive of a period in cinema. Probably the Theatrical Cut.

aliennaire

I would prefer initial Theatrical version with included Ripley's face slap and eggmorphing scenes to make it as long as it would be possible  :)
(have chosen DC for the poll)

SM

Theatrical.  As creepy as the egg morph scene is - it wrecks the pacing something chronic.

StrangeShape

theatrical, primarily for the Jockeys signal and the 'what are my chances" scene

The_Silencer

Most of the times, Director's Cut here.

Valaquen

Theatrical. I like some of the additions in the DC (like Lambert bitch slapping Ripley and the Alien swatting the cat cage) but the TC is the ALIEN, and its reveal of the creature is better handled than in the DC version, and the DC's Jockey transmission was butchered from the original clip. We also lose Dallas' 'what are my chances?' scene, which was a brilliant realisation of impending doom. Like Ridley, I say Theatrical Cut!

MrSpaceJockey

Theatrical cut.  For most of the reasons stated above.  And I think the movie is simply better in the shorter cut.

Snowdog

Can't really deside because i do love the eggmorphing scene ::)

Valaquen

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 27, 2011, 05:37:53 PM
Theatrical cut.  For most of the reasons stated above.  And I think the movie is simply better in the shorter cut.
The shorter cut is actually the DC, by about a minute  :P

MrSpaceJockey

Well then, I guess I do prefer the longer cut!

Bat Chain Puller

I go back and forth.

The restored shot of the adult alien hanging from the ceiling before Brett gets his head ventilated ... while cool ... is just showing too much too early in the film. BAM. There it is. Tough to say if it would stand out so much to someone who sees the directors cut first.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 27, 2011, 05:16:09 PM
(like Lambert bitch slapping Ripley and the Alien swatting the cat cage)
Ay, forgot about those. The latter is my favourite thing about the DC.
Someone should make a fancut.

Spidey3121

If anyone makes a fan cut they best include a scene that appears neither in the theatrical or directors cut, but 1 in which i have a very vivid memory of seeing somewhere along the way. That being after Brett gets pulled up into the vents where Parker runs in only to have blood be rained down upon him. I don't remember where i saw it, perhaps a documentary or behind the scenes look, but i've always felt it needed to be in the film. As is, it's quite a drastic cut from Brett's death to Parker slamming down the makeshift flamethrower. As for which version i prefer, i err on the side of the theatrical cut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed