Alien3: How did the egg get onboard the Sulaco?

Started by StayFrosty, Oct 30, 2011, 01:19:51 AM

Author
Alien3: How did the egg get onboard the Sulaco? (Read 75,193 times)

The Xenoborg

QuoteI'm entirely surprised there are no EU theories about how the egg got on board. Doesn't the EU have anything to say about this?
Let's wait for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Xenomrph

QuoteWell from what I've read all over the net, on IMDB, forums, and in that 26-page thread, this all is just more reason for me to disregard Alien3 (and thus, Resurrection) as canon.
Your call to make, I guess. :)

The IMDb forums are a cesspit of idiocy and unmitigated garbage, though. Just sayin'. In the grand scheme of internet forums, they're barely one step above the GameFAQs forums.

QuoteLikewise, I don't know why it was so hard to come up with a good Alien3 script.
The thing is that the 'Alien3' script we got isn't "bad", especially if the only problem you're finding with it is "where did the egg come from?". It's a problem, but it's certainly not unsolvable - as mentioned, the blu-ray menu fixes it with pretty much no effort at all. :P

QuoteAlien3 is really quite boring and not really entertaining. I don't really need it.
Diff'rent squids for diff'rent kids, I guess. 'Alien3' is my favorite Alien film.

QuoteI'm entirely surprised there are no EU theories about how the egg got on board. Doesn't the EU have anything to say about this?
Nope, mostly since the EU doesn't follow Ripley's story (other than the initial trilogy of comics that got retconned after 'Alien3' came out. Really there wasn't any reason for the EU to touch on it.
With the upcoming Colonial Marines game promising to take us back to the Sulaco, though, we might see it addressed somehow. Maybe the characters will board the Sulaco and find an egg on the inside of the dropship's landing gear, who knows?

StrangeShape

By accepting that Bishop is the reason, youre accepting that:

1) Bishop got hold of an egg somehow. He couldnt get it in the lab because the lab only had facehuggers, not eggs. He also couldnt go into the hive - we see remotely piloting the dropship and he doesnt go anywhere else. Then Ripley goes into the hive, theres no Bishop there. He didnt follow her and even of he did somehow, Ripley blasted all the eggs anyway. And he couldnt land anywhere there anyway
2) He hid it on the dropship and went to pick up Ripley
3) They return to the Sulaco, land, then Bishop gets ripped in half by the queen
4) After the survivors (including Bishop) are in stasis, he somehow wakes up (despite the fact that Ripley programmed the tubes), drags himself out of the stasis chamber and drags himself to the dropship.
5) He then hauls himself aboard the dropship, finds his hiding spot for the egg, hauls it out of the dropship and into the armory on the Sulaco (an impressive feat with no legs and just 2 arms to move himself and the egg!)
6) He then somehow sticks it upside down under the table or something, whilst still basically just being an upper torso.
7) He then drags himself back to the stasis pods and climbs back in.

Its much easier to accept that the queen simply laid an egg while on Sulaco to ensure the survival of the species. This theory is also filled with holes but its still more logical and plausible

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Also Alien eggs can use their tendrils for locomotion.
Jussayin'

The Xenoborg

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Oct 31, 2011, 05:22:40 PM
Jussayin'
Really?  :o
If not, they can also open the petal-like parts and fly off like helicopters.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Oct 31, 2011, 05:31:33 PM
Jussayin'
Really?  :o
If not, they can also open the petal-like parts and fly off like helicopters.

And lastly if the first and second fail, they can fall on their side and roll over to whatever direction, propelling the movement with both tendrils and petals!
;D

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 31, 2011, 03:06:48 PMThe thing is that the 'Alien3' script we got isn't "bad", especially if the only problem you're finding with it is "where did the egg come from?". It's a problem, but it's certainly not unsolvable - as mentioned, the blu-ray menu fixes it with pretty much no effort at all. :P

Xenomrph, was it just your implication, that opening sequence of A^3 could be Ripley's dream, or was it stated by anyone involved into its production? Nice conception anyway! :-)

Quote from: StayFrosty on Oct 31, 2011, 02:13:11 PM
My Alien3 idea is to have Ripley, Hicks, Bishop and Newt return to Earth. Perhaps they are all good friends, or even a family. Several years after they return to earth, the company arrives with some eggs they've recovered from some planet. Everything goes out of control, as usual, and the aliens begin to take over a futuristic earth.

It's exactly what I have been pondering over for years, since I first saw Alien^3 back in 92-93. I even managed to concort some story this summer, however it's not the Earth and it's not the family. If you are interested to take a look, I'll show you it (after translating) ;-)

StayFrosty

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 31, 2011, 04:43:43 PM
By accepting that Bishop is the reason, youre accepting that:

1) Bishop got hold of an egg somehow. He couldnt get it in the lab because the lab only had facehuggers, not eggs. He also couldnt go into the hive - we see remotely piloting the dropship and he doesnt go anywhere else. Then Ripley goes into the hive, theres no Bishop there. He didnt follow her and even of he did somehow, Ripley blasted all the eggs anyway. And he couldnt land anywhere there anyway
2) He hid it on the dropship and went to pick up Ripley
3) They return to the Sulaco, land, then Bishop gets ripped in half by the queen
4) After the survivors (including Bishop) are in stasis, he somehow wakes up (despite the fact that Ripley programmed the tubes), drags himself out of the stasis chamber and drags himself to the dropship.
5) He then hauls himself aboard the dropship, finds his hiding spot for the egg, hauls it out of the dropship and into the armory on the Sulaco (an impressive feat with no legs and just 2 arms to move himself and the egg!)
6) He then somehow sticks it upside down under the table or something, whilst still basically just being an upper torso.
7) He then drags himself back to the stasis pods and climbs back in.

Its much easier to accept that the queen simply laid an egg while on Sulaco to ensure the survival of the species. This theory is also filled with holes but its still more logical and plausible

Well, ANY theory is filled with plot-holes. There's just no way to explain this nonsense.

But, just for the sake of it...

No, my theory was that while Ripley was off saving Newt, Bishop grabbed an egg, took it to the Sulaco, and hid it somewhere on board. That's all. He did all this BEFORE the Queen cut him in half. Re-read what I said for further explanation.

It's also possible Bishop did all this before the original dropship flown by Ferro and Spunkmeyer crashed. How he located an egg, I don't know. In this theory, Bishop finds an egg and gets Ferro and Spunkmeyer to fly him to the Sulaco, where he plants it there and flies back with them. They don't know about it.

What we do know is that there WERE eggs in other places besides where the Queen lays them. We see a few colonists cocooned in other places in the facility, with eggs in front of them. Obviously, the Queen lays the eggs and then the Warrior aliens take them somewhere else.

Xenomrph

Jussayin'
I'd more readily believe that than I'd believe that Bishop planted any eggs. :P

QuoteXenomrph, was it just your implication, that opening sequence of A^3 could be Ripley's dream, or was it stated by anyone involved into its production? Nice conception anyway! :-)
No one has outright stated it, no. I suspect the only person who could give a definitive answer (David Fincher) will never comment on it.

stephen

The simplest theory in my opinion is:

A facehugger hitchs a ride with the queen.

The queen is able to through survival of the species kinda thing to lay one egg without her eggsac (if you wish to believe that this is a queen facehugger go right ahead).

She lays that egg in the drop ship landing gear.

She hops out and has her fisticuffs with ripley.

the face hugger that hitched the ride moves the egg (by dragging it with its tail) and does this out of instinct - "don't be where your enemy expects you to be".

Ripely puts everyone into hypersleep.

Egg hatches

We now have two facehuggers - one gets ripley and the other gets the dog.

All other theories don't really explain with any real plausibility (in my opinion) the location of the egg.  A super facehugger theory explains the two aliens but not the egg location.

StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Quote from: stephen on Nov 01, 2011, 01:08:11 AM
The simplest theory in my opinion is:

A facehugger hitchs a ride with the queen.

The queen is able to through survival of the species kinda thing to lay one egg without her eggsac (if you wish to believe that this is a queen facehugger go right ahead).

She lays that egg in the drop ship landing gear.

She hops out and has her fisticuffs with ripley.

the face hugger that hitched the ride moves the egg (by dragging it with its tail) and does this out of instinct - "don't be where your enemy expects you to be".

Ripely puts everyone into hypersleep.

Egg hatches

We now have two facehuggers - one gets ripley and the other gets the dog.

All other theories don't really explain with any real plausibility (in my opinion) the location of the egg.  A super facehugger theory explains the two aliens but not the egg location.

Actually, your theory just gave me an idea.

Like in my original theory, a chestburster hitched a ride with the Queen onto the dropship. The Queen lays an egg on the dropship. By the time everyone goes into hypersleep, the chestburster is a full-grown alien. This Alien takes the egg and moves it to where we see it on the Sulaco in Alien3. The egg hatches, and the facehugger breaks into Ripley's cryo tube. The cryo tubes are all moved into the escape shuttle, and the facehugger goes with it. But the alien that moved the egg stays behind on the Sulaco, eventually starving to death.

I do believe it's even possible for a chestburster to crawl inside the Queen and live in her temporarily. As a kid when I saw the Kenner Alien Queen figure and the small arms sticking out of her chest, I actually thought it was supposed to be a chestburster living inside her, like she was storing it there while it grows. My mom told me that's what it was.

But... I do think it's clear in Alien3 that there was only one face hugger. As I've posted already, it makes sense that a Queen face hugger can lay two embryos - first a regular alien which prepares the way for the Queen, then the Queen itself. Queen face hugger.

I still don't understand why Ripley didn't scan the ship to make sure the coast is clear from aliens, but this assumes it's actually possible to scan the ship for lifeforms.

So your theory + my theory seems to make sense to me now. I just don't like the idea of a face hugger being intelligent enough to move an egg... face huggers are just stupid little parasites with very limited reasoning. Is all they think about is impregnating someone to satisfy what it obviously a strong and intense mating (sexual) desire. I'm sure the face huggers gain a lot of pleasure while impregnating someone.... a lot of orgasms.

But, the idea of a chestburster being on board and growing up to move the egg works.

And obviously, the full-grown alien is what 'told' the egg to hatch.

stephen

Why a full grown alien or chestburster?

Why are facehuggers stupid?  they don't necessarily have to be smart - just instinctual.

StayFrosty

Quote from: stephen on Nov 01, 2011, 02:02:42 AM
Why a full grown alien or chestburster?

Why are facehuggers stupid?  they don't necessarily have to be smart - just instinctual.

Why is it hard to believe a chestburster hitched a ride onto the dropship with the Queen? The Chestburster grows and matured into a Xenomorph, and moves the egg. It doesn't make sense if the Facehugger moves the egg. The egg was hidden on a ceiling or something! Imagine how it would look if the facehugger climbed the wall with the egg. It doesn't make sense, and I think everyone will see it that way.

Your theory + my theory works. Good job. The theory works way better if a chestburster is involved. There is no reason to believe a chestburster could not have been with the Queen on the dropship. And we all know chestbursters mature into a full-grown alien.

There would be no reason for a facehugger to move the egg, either. Is all it has to do is hatch, leave the egg, and impregnante Ripley. But that raises questions like how the facehugger got out of the dropship in the first place? And what made the egg hatch? With an alien, it makes sense that an alien is able to break open the drop ship, carry the egg, and even tell the egg to open for the facehugger to hatch.

Xenomrph

I don't like it. Where did the chestburster come from? Why did it think to hitch a ride on the Queen? When did it even get the opportunity, as the whole place was exploding and on-fire? We don't see any other hosts or whatever, and all the colonists' bodies were at the hatchery where the Marines got ambushed. It couldn't have been any of the captured Marines, either.

I still prefer the "Queen cranked out an egg or two" explanation, it really is the simplest one.

StayFrosty

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 01, 2011, 03:35:07 AM
I don't like it. Where did the chestburster come from? Why did it think to hitch a ride on the Queen? When did it even get the opportunity, as the whole place was exploding and on-fire? We don't see any other hosts or whatever, and all the colonists' bodies were at the hatchery where the Marines got ambushed. It couldn't have been any of the captured Marines, either.

I still prefer the "Queen cranked out an egg or two" explanation, it really is the simplest one.

Yes, but again the question arises of how that egg got from the dropship to the Sulaco and managed to hatch itself.

I don't buy your dream theory at all. The egg on the dropship is not in the movie, just on some crappy DVD menu.

Even if the egg was on the dropship, we don't know why the egg hatched or how the facehugger managed to get from the dropship all the way to the cryo chambers.

Also, you told me elsewhere that you believe there were colonists being kept alive elsewhere, even while the Marines were on LV-426. It's possible one of the colonists outlived some of the Marines. The chestburster hatches from one of the colonists, and rides with the Queen onto the Sulaco. The Queen is supposed to be extremely smart... I read elsewhere that in the EU, a queen was given some kind of human-equivilent IQ test, and passed higher than most humans. The Queen obviously communicates with the aliens telepathically and can control what they do... even a chestburster. So, the queen orders the chestburster to come to her, knowing with her high intelligence that she can sneak it past the humans without them noticing it. Then the Queen pops out an egg as well. Problem solved. This theory solves all the problems.

"Queen cranks out an egg" is the simplest explanation, but needs something extra to compliment it. Even with my theory, questions do arise, and it's even far-fetched, but it clears up the plot-hole.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteYes, but again the question arises of how that egg got from the dropship to the Sulaco and managed to hatch itself.
It doesn't have to have moved, that assumes what we're seeing in the opening titles is meant to be taken literally. It might not be.

As for why the egg opened, ultimately I don't think it matters. I really don't have a problem with an egg opening by itself, or having other triggers we don't know. The egg near Newt opened only after she woke up, despite her being in the same proximity and not moving for quite some time. Why didn't it open the moment she was cocooned? Why did it wait until she was awake? Likewise, the egg near Ripley on her way out of the Queen's chamber opened pretty much of its own accord, when it (or any of the others Ripley snuck past) could have opened at pretty much any moment. Why did that particular one choose that particular moment? We don't know.

QuoteThis theory solves all the problems.
Well, except for the problem that we have no evidence of a chestburster (or the resultant adult Alien). :P

Quotejust on some crappy DVD menu.
You can pooh-pooh it, but it's still the official blu-ray menu. If that's how FOX is choosing to sort out the plot-hole in a way that makes perfect sense, I'm inclined to buy it. :P

QuoteAlso, you told me elsewhere that you believe there were colonists being kept alive elsewhere, even while the Marines were on LV-426.
No I didn't. :) Hudson points out that he found all the colonist PDTs in one location. Obviously the PDTs keep transmitting after death, since Hudson was able to pick them up. After scanning the whole colony, he found them all in one area.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed