Alien Isolation : Post Mortem

Started by hellrasinbrasin, Nov 16, 2014, 09:15:18 AM

Author
Alien Isolation : Post Mortem (Read 18,494 times)

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 05:47:11 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 05:24:43 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 05:02:16 PMI highly doubt even the company knew beforehand exactly that there was a life form (they would have to of been inside the derelict ship first hand  :P), if the company was suspecting anything beforehand, it was "something" of interest at the time.

Then how do you explain Special Order 937 specifically mentioning a lifeform?

What your quoting is special order 937, as far as I know it's just company procedure put in place in the event any new life form is discovered so that it can be studied.

In other words, I think MOTHER was quoting some higher up company rule book. A rule that the company can act on accordingly if a life form were ever discovered in any circumstance. There are likely hundreds of other special orders put in place with the intention of having set company plans of action for dealing with numerous situations.

Including 66. >_>

I think maybe a different cut of the movie could support your scenario, but in the theatrical cut itself, there is nothing to suggest the company isn't intensely irresponsible or possibly scheming. It's been in the subtext since Giler was brought on board. I've heard this argument made "they just didn't know" and I agree to an extent, but obviously they figured  the source of the transmission was dead. Its been repeating for so long, and if MU-TH-UR translated it so quickly someone at the company probably translated it quickly, a "warning". They put 2+2 together without knowing specifics and rerouted the Nostromo to find out what this lifeform was, at the cost of the crew. I mean its undeniable the company is malevolent. It is absolutely 100% not arguable. The intent was outlined in Giler's introduction of the robot and through production it hardly changed.

If you're going to quote someone on Alien's production, please remember so many on the production cannot agree on precise details, egg chamber under or onboard derelict etc. The drafts confirm the company knew to some degree, the cut implies this, the subtext is there, it really is fact.

razeak

razeak

Dutch Ghost,

Spoiler
1. I think it's something that hasn't happened yet since we don't know specifically how this all plays out with the cliffhanger ending. There is probably going to be a sequel.  Also, Burke knowingly sent the colonists to the derelict, didn't inform anyone of this, tried to stop Hicks from nuking the site, stole Ripley's pulse rifle, dumped facehuggers out, locked the door and turned off the camera when Ripley was trying to signal for help. He also left them to die in operations when he locked the door during the final battle. He probably was going to sabotage any survivor's cryotubes also. He's a dirtbag and doctoring a death certificate is several orders of magnitude lower than everything else he did.

2. It's not ridiculous for anyone involved in the Nostromo incident to cover it up to save their asses. WY would know they came from that sector, but how big is that sector? It could be relatively large or small, but we don't know. WY wouldn't know if it originated on a planet, or a ship floating in space. How many probes or drones does WY have in the area? What's the cost? What are their scanning capabilities? What is the composition of the vessel? There are quite a few factors and questions that lead to a suddenly conservative approach by WY. I'm sure the alien is worth millions or billions to the company, but probably not at the expense of it's long term prospects if the crew expendable order ever came to light. Then the value of the alien is worth much less if nothing at all. Burke took a big chance hoping he could get specimens back without incident(he never warned them) or maybe not knowing the reproductive cycle fully, expected maybe a few losses. He surely thought he could cover it up.
[close]

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Jan 11, 2015, 11:13:42 PM
They put 2+2 together without knowing specifics and rerouted the Nostromo to find out what this lifeform was, at the cost of the crew.
I more or less agree.

QuoteIf you're going to quote someone on Alien's production

... when did I quote anyone from the production of Alien?

razeak

razeak

I think there is a big difference between the use of the word lifeform instead of possible lifeforms as far as intent of the order goes. Then again, if they were just writing scenario based orders, it could be a typo haha.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: razeak on Jan 12, 2015, 01:36:37 AMI think there is a big difference between the use of the word lifeform instead of possible lifeforms as far as intent of the order goes.

To me that says they knew there was a creature there, they almost certainly knew it was dangerous, but they probably didn't know specifically what it was.

The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 08:54:43 PMWho says anyone will ever find it again? The Anesidora only found it by following the Nostromo's flight recorder, and the Nostromo only found it because it was specifically rerouted there in response to a probe detecting the signal (a signal that isn't broadcasting any more). The moon clearly isn't anywhere near any established transit routes, otherwise it would've been found earlier. The chances of someone stumbling upon again it are literally infinitesimal.

Let us assume that there are more sites where eggs can be found and not just the derelict.
It may take decades, it may take centuries but unless humanity gives up FTL or remain cosily in its part of the Milkyway someone is bound to come across these one of these locations and bring back a specimen/infection.
The genie is basically already out of the bottle, the only solution to prevent the contamination from reaching Earth is to make the people aware of it as it is clear that no corporation will ever be able to tame and control it.

QuoteThe colonists on LV-426 couldn't find the derelict ship even though they were on the same moon. So how were they supposed to find it from space?

QuotePerfectly conceivable for Amanda to think that if she kept schtum, nobody would ever find the derelict again. Which, like Hud said, would be the best scenario.

That's the thing.
Lets for the sake of argument maintain that Amanda never told anyone about what Marlow told her about the alien ship.
Had Ripley never shown up fifty years later the colonists would have come across the ship eventually as they expanded outwards from the colony.

By keeping quiet Amanda ensured that a very dangerous lifeform would be waiting for an unsuspecting humanity. I don't think she is that type.

Okay now I am switching from plothole to ethics but there are simply holes in the story that make it fit very difficult into the Alien canon.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 12, 2015, 11:29:28 AMLet us assume that there are more sites where eggs can be found and not just the derelict.

That's a massive assumption. The fact no one ever finds any eggs anywhere else over the course of the entire film series (finishing with Resurrection some 200 years in the future) kinda proves how likely it is people are gonna find more eggs.

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 12, 2015, 11:29:28 AMBy keeping quiet Amanda ensured that a very dangerous lifeform would be waiting for an unsuspecting humanity. I don't think she is that type.

Considering what I said before about people simply trying to exploit the Alien at every turn, it's not even slightly unrealistic that Amanda might consider silence to be the lesser of two evils.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 12, 2015, 11:36:17 AM
Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 12, 2015, 11:29:28 AMLet us assume that there are more sites where eggs can be found and not just the derelict.

That's a massive assumption. The fact no one ever finds any eggs anywhere else over the course of the entire film series (finishing with Resurrection some 200 years in the future) kinda proves how likely it is people are gonna find more eggs.

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 12, 2015, 11:29:28 AMBy keeping quiet Amanda ensured that a very dangerous lifeform would be waiting for an unsuspecting humanity. I don't think she is that type.

Considering what I said before about people simply trying to exploit the Alien at every turn, it's not even slightly unrealistic that Amanda might consider silence to be the lesser of two evils.
Depends on her motivation. Originally she came along once the news of Nostromo's blackbox popped up. After that I couldn't really tell when it went from destroying the Alien to escaping Sevastapol. It really depends on what happens in the setting. Just don't turn Ellie into a lab-rat like they did Isaac Clarke in Dead Space 2.

razeak

razeak

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 12, 2015, 11:29:28 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 08:54:43 PMWho says anyone will ever find it again? The Anesidora only found it by following the Nostromo's flight recorder, and the Nostromo only found it because it was specifically rerouted there in response to a probe detecting the signal (a signal that isn't broadcasting any more). The moon clearly isn't anywhere near any established transit routes, otherwise it would've been found earlier. The chances of someone stumbling upon again it are literally infinitesimal.

Let us assume that there are more sites where eggs can be found and not just the derelict.
It may take decades, it may take centuries but unless humanity gives up FTL or remain cosily in its part of the Milkyway someone is bound to come across these one of these locations and bring back a specimen/infection.
The genie is basically already out of the bottle, the only solution to prevent the contamination from reaching Earth is to make the people aware of it as it is clear that no corporation will ever be able to tame and control it.

QuoteThe colonists on LV-426 couldn't find the derelict ship even though they were on the same moon. So how were they supposed to find it from space?

QuotePerfectly conceivable for Amanda to think that if she kept schtum, nobody would ever find the derelict again. Which, like Hud said, would be the best scenario.

That's the thing.
Lets for the sake of argument maintain that Amanda never told anyone about what Marlow told her about the alien ship.
Had Ripley never shown up fifty years later the colonists would have come across the ship eventually as they expanded outwards from the colony.

By keeping quiet Amanda ensured that a very dangerous lifeform would be waiting for an unsuspecting humanity. I don't think she is that type.

Okay now I am switching from plothole to ethics but there are simply holes in the story that make it fit very difficult into the Alien canon.

That is assuming she sees it the same way you do(and it appears the writers are leaning toward the protecting humanity angle). If she thinks she is protecting humanity by not letting anyone get near it, then it is perfectly reasonable for her to go that way. Amanda also doesn't have any clue that LV-426 is going to host a human colony some day. That's meaningless to her decision because she doesn't know about it(if they go that route).

It's also a big assumption that we are bound to find something in this huge universe. It's only possible, not certain.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed