Alien: Covenant Soundtrack *possible spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 06, 2017, 09:19:34 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Soundtrack *possible spoilers* (Read 54,392 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Olde on Apr 12, 2017, 01:54:13 AM
Really? Not going to indicate at all that this includes spoilers?

Says it right there in the thread title, Olde.  Also in the first paragraph of the news article if you're coming in via the front page.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 11, 2017, 08:49:21 PM
The main theme is the track 'Planet 4' (2min06)

How do you know?

cliffhanger

Quote from: Olde on Apr 12, 2017, 01:54:13 AM
Really? Not going to indicate at all that this includes spoilers?

perhaps you should first read before commenting as there are plenty spoiler alerts present.

comments like this remind me of those youtube comments where they ask things that are clearly mentioned in the description
or in the video itself but don't actually take time to really look.

Bonus Situation

Hmmmm... it's just a wee bit too throwback for me. I like the opening melody as there is just a small hint of both Alien and Aliens familiarity in it but the strings section is just too on the nose throwback to Goldsmith.

That closing bass note is nice though - slightly reminiscent of Alien3.

NickisSmart

So it's OK if it's a throwback to Alien, but not Alien or Aliens? :P

Bonus Situation

Quote from: NickisSmart on Apr 12, 2017, 08:54:49 AM

Small hints = ok
On the nose = questionable
8)

Jango1201

The music really changed the whole vibe of movie for me. Not in a bad way either. I haven't felt any excitement for this movie until I heard this track. As big of a fan as I am of the alien franchise (25 years now, Holy crap!) I now feel the promising gut sensation that this will honestly be the film I've been waiting for since I was a child in 1997.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Bonus Situation on Apr 12, 2017, 08:58:25 AM

Small hints = ok
8)

You do realize that classical composers (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, early 20th century, and modern) rip each other very directly all the time. Call it a musical palimpsest.

Enoch

Nice...Quite like it except some strange electronic elements at the end... It sounded like out of place.

Very promising.

Bonus Situation

Quote from: NickisSmart on Apr 12, 2017, 09:20:14 AM
Quote from: Bonus Situation on Apr 12, 2017, 08:58:25 AM

Small hints = ok
8)

You do realize that classical composers (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, early 20th century, and modern) rip each other very directly all the time. Call it a musical palimpsest.

Whilst admittedly I'm not an expert in classical music or its history, I was referring to its use in general. They could've been more experimental and tried to give the film its own identity instead of relying on what worked previously. I'm not saying its bad, I'm just saying it feels safe.

John Doe

I created a small video tribute with the music:

:laugh:

lv_226

Quote from: John Doe on Apr 12, 2017, 09:41:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09pwFW0vGYU

How very nice of you.

That being said, do you think that Covenant's score will be just as memorable as the OSTs for Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 (arguably the most darkest of the bunch).

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: lv_226 on Apr 13, 2017, 07:44:55 PM

How very nice of you.

That being said, do you think that Covenant's score will be just as memorable as the OSTs for Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 (arguably the most darkest of the bunch).

I believe Kurzel's score needs to stand up to Goldsmith's and Goldenthal's scores. Both were menacing and melodically beautiful and neither really lets go of your ears. I have my own issues with Horner's score for Aliens. Streitenfeld's score for Prometheus, while very beautiful - I listen to it often, just didn't convey enough darkness. It was a tad too bright and uplifting and having a darker score could've complimented what was on screen much better.

I keep hoping we hear that tribal humming song in the score for Covenant that was used for the second trailer. It was primal, atmospheric, and looming.

Mr. Clemens

Non-sequitur, but that's a cool sig you've got there, Coalesced Chaos8)

OuterVeilRefinery

Quote from: Coalesced Chaos on Apr 13, 2017, 10:05:05 PM
Quote from: lv_226 on Apr 13, 2017, 07:44:55 PM

How very nice of you.

I believe Kurzel's score needs to stand up to Goldsmith's and Goldenthal's scores. Both were menacing and melodically beautiful and neither really lets go of your ears. I have my own issues with Horner's score for Aliens. Streitenfeld's score for Prometheus, while very beautiful - I listen to it often, just didn't convey enough darkness. It was a tad too bright and uplifting and having a darker score could've complimented what was on screen much better.

I keep hoping we hear that tribal humming song in the score for Covenant that was used for the second trailer. It was primal, atmospheric, and looming.

Completely agree with your last point. On seeing the trailer I immediately hoped that music would end up in the final film. Fingers crossed anyway

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed