Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 73,374 times)

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 15, 2013, 06:09:36 PM
Actually I think he should do it right and hand-deliver them.
Now that's commitment

Mr. Domino

Well, sadly, Upper Deck's booth at BGG.CON isn't run by anyone who knows much of anything about the upcoming game. They did have this hanging up on the wall, though, and one of the guys there thought that the plan was to do an early release at GenCon, with the retail rollout a couple of weeks later, which fits with the August release date.

Corporal Hicks

Here's some stuff I noticed from over at BGG from an apparent Upper Deck employee:

Quote from: Brenzor
Quote from: ijthompsonDon't forget Lambert! I admit, if I don't get the whole crew of the Nostromo, I'm gonna pout a little. Maybe they could even find a way to work Jones in there somewhere! :laugh:

Jonsey is a bad ass feline that does not dissapoint.  He will make an appearance.

Quote from: RogMcK
Quote from: senorcoo
Quote from: edkofuzzCount me in among the group of people excited for this game! I am holding back on the Marvel one just to get this one. Can never get enough stuff from the Alien universe!

Me too, but the art will be the decider.  I thought the M:L art was god-awful.
This art will probably be worse. It's a lot harder to translate movies to four colour printing style than comics.

Graphically, nothing would please me short of actual film stills (like Decipher did with Star Wars and LotR). I am guessing the chance of that is nil.

I would kill for a good aliens game of any kind, but I don't see the legendary mechanics fitting the IP well. This screams money grab.

To be clear, this is not the Marvel Legendary engine.  I have been very transparent in every interview that I get asked about this game.  I have stated several times that the ALIEN universe does not fit the ML engine and that I WILL NEVER crowbar something in where it does not belong.

That said, the ML engine was ripped apart and rebuilt so that the parts that worked with ALIEN remained and everything else(which is a Sh*t ton) was rebuilt to capture the flavor of the ALIEN universe. 

"Money Grab" is an insult to the year of development time that has been put into this game so far. 

To be clear, this is not the Marvel Legendary engine.  I have been very transparent in every interview that I get asked about this game.  I have stated several times that the ALIEN universe does not fit the ML engine and that I WILL NEVER crowbar something in where it does not belong.

That said, the ML engine was ripped apart and rebuilt so that the parts that worked with ALIEN remained and everything else(which is a Sh*t ton) was rebuilt to capture the flavor of the ALIEN universe. 

"Money Grab" is an insult to the year of development time that has been put into this game so far. 

If it's not the Legendary engine, then why name it Legendary? Besides the obvious answer.

It is Called "Legendary Encounters: An ALIEN Deck Building Game"...  It is compatible with Marvel not interchangeable.  Simply calling it "Legendary" would have been misleading.

It is Called "Legendary Encounters: An ALIEN Deck Building Game"...  It is compatible with Marvel not interchangeable.  Simply calling it "Legendary" would have been misleading.

What connection does the word Legendary have to the Aliens IP?

What does "compatible, not interchangeable" mean?

Ok, here is what has been stated prior but I will tie it all up here for you.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is a DBG based on some of the core concepts found in the Marvel version.  It is NOT the same game.

Compatible Vs. Interchangeable simply means that you can have characters guest star in either game since we took measures to allow for some crossover.  Since the game play is different, LE does not use schemes or masterminds nor does it have the same board, the components from both cannot be called interchangeable.

"What connection does the word Legendary have to the Aliens IP?" - I don't think this question has any relevance as we made the name up from scratch for Marvel. IT is relevant from a business perspective to allow people to get a grasp of what type of game this will be.

Again, I have stated publicly several times on camera as well as in magazine articles that this is a different game from Marvel and should be viewed as such.  There are similarities between the two but because the universes are so different, the game had to be redesigned to accommodate those differences.   

Mr. Domino

Sorry, I should have been cross-posting those here as they happened (although I hadn't seen the last one yet). Between this, Warhammer 40K: Conquest, Doomtown Reloaded, D&D Attack Wing, and of course the formal release of D&D Next, this is gonna be a really interesting GenCon. Wish I could go.

Mr. Clemens

That person sounds... more than a little defensive.

Also, I hate being quoted as saying 'Jones', and then being corrected with 'Jonesey'. That cat's name is Jones, dammit! Read the credits!  >:(

Corporal Hicks

Apparently all art in this game is going to be original with no screen grabs. And the first example -

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1992059/brenzor?size=large

Mr. Domino

Just saw this a couple minutes ago on bgg - really glad they're going with this style of illustration. Should look fairly naturalistic for both the characters and the aliens. Hopefully they keep it consistent across all the cards - it'd be great to have Parker, Apone, and Vriess working together and not looking out-of-place next to each other.

Corporal Hicks

Oh just imagine if they had Dan Beauvis, Dorman or Swanland doing some art?  ;D

Mr. Domino

Don't have a scanner available, but these photos should be readable - just got the new Meeple Monthly in, which has a 2 1/2 page article on the game with some info and several new images:

Corporal Hicks

Any chance you could retake the 2nd picture? It's very hard to read and I'd love to get it up on the first page.

It sounds really interesting. I'm really curious to try out this co-op engine!!!And the art looks so lovely too.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

AVP Alien in my A L I E N?

Go die in a hole.

Corporal Hicks

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104744/legendary-enccounters-rulebook

The rules have been uploaded. I haven't read them yet but will do shortly.

Mr. Clemens

I read the basic rules. It's sort of hard to get the feel for it, without being able to see the cards (the cards are where the action is, after all).

It seems that John Hurt and H. D. Stanton didn't allow their likenesses to be used - there doesn't seem to be a Kane or Brett in the game. Bummer.

Some of that art looks pretty dodgy (I'm knee-deep in Fantasy Flight games right now, so the bar is set pretty high). Still, the game could be fun. I really like the impregnation/chestbursting mechanic - you don't know when you're gonna pop! I also like that players can be eliminated from the game, though some will obviously hate that...

Mr. Domino

I don't think it's necessarily a case of anyone not allowing their likeness to be used, and more that they only wanted to have 16 character decks (the same as with the Marvel game), and with 4 different Ripleys, that leaves only 3 other slots per movie.

I had no trouble with the rules as written, but I've also played the Marvel game extensively.

The art...I feel you. It's a definite stylistic choice, though, and I like that it seems to be fairly consistent. I also like that it is actual art rather than photos. That said, though, I'd definitely rather art more in the style of Dorman/Beauvais/Bolton, or any of the other classic Alien artists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Clemens

Ah, I getcha. I have no experience with the Marvel game, so the rulebook is a little bewildering. That's not a strike against the game though, I just need to have the cards in hand to get the gyst of it.

I'd actually have been fine with screencaps from the films (like in the AvP game), but I get that that would limit them quite a bit.

Still, I'm definitely gonna buy it. I'm delighted they were able to work in all four movies!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed