Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 74,903 times)

Quarax

Corporal Hicks

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1213326/lert-dying-never-felt-so-good

Some more artwork has just been posted up on BGG. It's due out next week apparently.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteI played yesterday. It's HARD! Of course part of that was from never playing before, and part from a bad shuffle of the hive deck (we got 4 eggs in a row). In any case, we weren't able to keep the complex clear, the combat zone soon had several xenos in it, and we were taking multiple strikes per turn. The medic's power (as with all the role powers) is only one card, so she wasn't able to keep up, and we all died. Three from strikes and one from a chestburster. We weren't even close to completing the mission.

I'm itching to play it again, and will buy it today if I can fit it in my bag.

Reaction from GenCon. It's available to purchase now at GenCon, available for public next week.

Mr. Domino

Sounds like it's playing exactly as it ought to.

Corporal Hicks

Mr. Clemens

They coulda tried a little harder with that box!

Looks like fun, though. :)

Mr. Domino

Actually, most deck-building games leave lots of extra space like that. It allows you to both sleeve the cards, and put later expansions in the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Aug 16, 2014, 08:45:41 PM
Actually, most deck-building games leave lots of extra space like that. It allows you to both sleeve the cards, and put later expansions in the box.

Oh, I didn't know that - I was expecting a formed plastic tray.

So I guess some of those hard plastic card cases would fit pretty nicely in there?

Mr. Domino

Haven't tried it. Sleeved cards are reasonably snug in there, though, so I wouldn't imagine that would be the case. The game comes with a bunch of dividers, which is how I have mine set up, and you could probably use some of the thinner plastic deck boxes that Ultra Pro makes as well.

Corporal Hicks

Another quick review from BGG:

QuoteSo I played the win a box "tournament" at GenCon.

The game is quite good but it is very challenging. It reminds me of the brutality of The Lord of the Rings (lcg FFG). It's very white knuckled, skin of teeth in terms of winning.

As far as being different from Lengedary (original Marvel):
1. Scanning. The hive deck pumps out cards face down in this game. You can't fight or interact with a face down card. So you need to spend attack to scan (flip a card over). The scan cost depends on how close to the hive it is.

This adds the thematic horror of not knowing what is creeping up on you.

2. Avatars (characters). The characters really do not differ that much (they are keyed to the different symbols) as they only get one unique class card in your starting deck. The class cards are pretty useful though.

3. Strikes (replaced wounds). The strikes are quite fun as they are deadly. The aliens attack your avatar and if your collected damage equals thier health rating-- they die. Strikes stay out of your decks next to the avatar.

The cards!

The 600 cards are all mixed together in seemingly random packs. This was frustrating to seperate.
Tip: there are small mission names on the bottom of most cards- seperate according to that. If their isn't small mission text on the bottom- then seperate by title subset.

I bought 600 ultra pro premium sleeves. They are too tight and bend the cards. Be careful here. If someone knows what sleeves to use, I'd appreciate it.

Mr. Domino

Yeesh. Comparing it to the Lord of the Rings LCG is hogh praise for it's difficulty. That game has some of the most bone-crushingly difficult content I've ever played (I still have yet to put so much as a dent in the Balrog in all the times I've tried).

Really can't wait for Wednesday.

Corporal Hicks

Seems to be showing up quite a lot in the states. Really wish it was out over here.

Machiko Naguchi

Thinking about getting this sometime soon. Would love to hear any info from people that have gotten and/or played it.  ;D

[cancerblack]

It's already out? Oh shit, I just moved to the country-side. No game stores out here. Can anyone recommend where to order this from?

Quarax

Amazon will have it in a couple of days.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed