Alien - Colony War

Started by felix, Oct 09, 2021, 10:26:43 PM

Author
Alien - Colony War (Read 45,885 times)

SiL

SiL

And while those make some kind of sense (seeing as many of the family members are high ranking military or political figures and the series is about, y'know, wars), hapless truck driver's daughter who was supposed to have lived a normal life and died of cancer actually having a secret past where she also happened to run into the same Alien species that wasn't supposed to be seen for 57 years and conveniently never mentioned despite resulting in the destruction of a space station kind of feels like some bullshit.

And then to have her husband go off to find her and also run into the Alien?

Come on.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Hell, it won't be long until Amanda's experiences with the aliens surpass even her mom's.  Assuming it hasn't happened already.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Maybe it will help Alien: Isolation 2 to get made, even by a little.
I would even be happy with an Alien: Blackout 2.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I really enjoyed Alien: Blackout!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I installed that one day when it was free in the app store. Don't think I ever actually attempted to play, though.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 12, 2021, 02:20:55 PM
I installed that one day when it was free in the app store. Don't think I ever actually attempted to play, though.

I would definitely give it a shot. :)

razeak

razeak

I'll again argue, there isn't a leap to connect Amanda to the alien. Her mom came up missing. A flight recorder was discovered. Amanda was given an opportunity to examine it. Shit came unglued before they got there. Where is the leap? It's miles better than Amanda just randomly discovering the alien and never having the flight recorder link to put everyone in proximity. It's such a simple piece of glue and works very well in that sense.

I'll say post Isolation, my preference is that Amanda fades away, but preference is really what its all about. Some people like the post Isolation stuff. It's all opinion.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: razeak on Oct 12, 2021, 04:31:51 PM
I'll again argue, there isn't a leap to connect Amanda to the alien. Her mom came up missing. A flight recorder was discovered. Amanda was given an opportunity to examine it. Shit came unglued before they got there. Where is the leap?
The part where the only thing we knew about her was that none of that happened. She was just a woman whose mum went missing on a work trip, grew up, got married, got old, died of cancer. That was it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: razeak on Oct 12, 2021, 04:31:51 PM
I'll again argue, there isn't a leap to connect Amanda to the alien. Her mom came up missing. A flight recorder was discovered. Amanda was given an opportunity to examine it. Shit came unglued before they got there. Where is the leap? It's miles better than Amanda just randomly discovering the alien and never having the flight recorder link to put everyone in proximity. It's such a simple piece of glue and works very well in that sense.

I'll say post Isolation, my preference is that Amanda fades away, but preference is really what its all about. Some people like the post Isolation stuff. It's all opinion.

Yeah, I'm fine with it too, even though in my world the director's cut of Aliens doesn't exist. ;D

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 12, 2021, 05:29:17 AM
And while those make some kind of sense (seeing as many of the family members are high ranking military or political figures and the series is about, y'know, wars), hapless truck driver's daughter who was supposed to have lived a normal life and died of cancer actually having a secret past where she also happened to run into the same Alien species that wasn't supposed to be seen for 57 years and conveniently never mentioned despite resulting in the destruction of a space station kind of feels like some bullshit.

And then to have her husband go off to find her and also run into the Alien?

Come on.

I have long sense separated movie canon from eu canon, so I no longer give any fuks. 

Ripley could be resurrected space jesus riding a tame natural born alien for all I care. 

It would seem that the current EU has also abandoned the movie canon as there are infestations that are known about by many people all across the timeline. 

SiL

SiL

I'm the same insofar as canon is concerned, but I still hate that so much new media across multiple franchises is sort of banking heavily, if not entirely, on cheap nostalgia and trite connections to previous stories instead of progressing. So many franchises are becoming a cannibalistic circle jerk wherever you turn.

That was sort of the fun of eu; to explore whacky boundaries, not navel gaze.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 12, 2021, 11:15:15 PM
Ripley could be resurrected space jesus riding a tame natural born alien for all I care.

There's this little movie that came out in 1997...

Quote from: SiL on Oct 12, 2021, 11:36:16 PM
I'm the same insofar as canon is concerned, but I still hate that so much new media across multiple franchises is sort of banking heavily, if not entirely, on cheap nostalgia and trite connections to previous stories instead of progressing. So many franchises are becoming a cannibalistic circle jerk wherever you turn.

Yep, this. When I'm peeking into the EU, which I mostly do with Alien but occasionally with other franchises as well, I usually go there to see stuff that the core media can't/won't do, not to see explanations/backstories for ancillary things in the films like, say, Amanda Ripley's adventures with Aliens.

That's why, in theory, I didn't take inherent issue with the Sil-esque creature in the first arc current Marvel run. It's something that feels very in the spirit of the franchise and its recent evolutions via the prequels, but also something very at home in the realm of comic books much more so than in a film. It was a neat gimmick that I was willing to go along for the ride with. Unfortunately the "art" there was shit, and the writing was wonky, but conceptually it's in the vein of what I'm looking for in EU stories. Same with other oddball entries like Music of the Spears or Inhuman Condition, or books that really delve into the actual behind-the-scenes machinations of the political/corporate structure in ways that can't really be done on screen with as much technical detail, like Alex White's novels.

ChigurhCookies

ChigurhCookies

With all these stories following characters that are loosely tied in with the original films, I can't believe nobody has told the story of how Hudson lived by escaping the cocoon (after Ripley's grenades in the egg chamber knocked him loose) and driving a colony vehicle to a safety bunker just before the reactor exploded. Oh, and he freed Dietrich and Apone on the way. What a boss!  ;D 

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 12, 2021, 11:36:16 PM

The films had this problem as well.  Resurrection was the first film that couldn't let the Ripley character go, and Prometheus was the first that tried to half ass explain everything that didn't need an explanation. 

When daddy is doing wrong, all the kids follow.

The franchise has been spinning wheels for many a year.  There is nothing at stake happening within its media because everyone is explaining away every minor detail and not progressing anything forward. 

SiL

SiL

No arguing Resurrection. I give Prometheus credit for not trying to answer anything specific about Alien, although it would've been nice to leave Weyland himself out of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed