Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 279,121 times)

Voodoo Magic

63 thread pages before the first issue hit has to be a record...

426Buddy

Yeah I'm sure this is going sell like hotcakes when it gets released. Marvel will have no reason to change their practices.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah and each and every one of the Dark Horse "xeno hybrids" also sucked.

It's absolutely beyond me why anyone might want this to be real, in terms of being within the Alien fiction, not outside that obviously.

Like it's fanfiction tier garbage on a conceptual level alone.

Whether the art's just perfect or entirely plagarism makes no difference in this regard.

SuperiorIronman

The thing is Hybrids can be cool. I mean they're all hybrids but being a bit more on the nose about it like the Runner and Predalien have proved to endure so they're not all terrible. I think the problem here though is that beyond bad art it's just here to be artsy. A bug women who exists in dreams with bad art can't convey the proper unease and horror our character and audience needs to feel, and without it being real it can't serve a narrative function beyond it being a dream. It can inform our character but that's banking on who or what this is paying off.

It's very indicative of the early script for Requiem and the FX people wondering why you'd have this hybrid to do next to nothing with it. Like if it's not here to be anything more than inconsequential in the grand scheme of things it makes you wonder why they'd bother.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 23, 2021, 04:01:41 PM
Yeah I'm sure this is going sell like hotcakes when it gets released. Marvel will have no reason to change their practices.

Well this thread is more indicative of how heated we get about bendy inner jaws, bad artwork, and tracing and art reference controversies...

...but with that said I do feel issue #1 will sell very well regardless of the quality. Just Alien's first comic with Marvel makes it a collector's target!

BlueMarsalis79

I agree the Drone's what you get with an Alien and human, the Runner's what you get with an Alien and animal, the PredAlien's what you get with an Alien and Predator, they all have an obvious trajectory, even if we do not quite understand every aspect.

I also do not see in any way that this comes across as something the Engineers or humanity might create.

We know Ridley Scott's understanding on it's influenced by our real world, and in that respect as he often likes to say, The Pathogen's got a logic to it of clearing out the meat as fast as possible and then die out so things can start again in a way the Alien does not.

I believe David's the one that instituted the Alien having black skin and something evocative of biomechanical beginnings, The Pathogen's always produces the opposite, white skin and nothing biomechanical present.

But even if that's revealed not to be the case, the fact the Alien's a rapist's part of the focal point of it's identity with or without a creator's influence, able to spread farther through longer incubation periods, self sustain, and then stay dormant waiting for anything that's not itself to find it again in essence farming anywhere it's able to take over completely.

The Alien and The Pathogen exist as fundamentally unique from each other in this way, related in that one comes from the other, but the latter does not carry all the features of the former that much's clear.

So just applying the features of the Alien to anything you want, arbitrarily through the Pathogen's just lazy at best, and a total misunderstanding of the core at each's function. 

[cancerblack]

Respectfully disagree. I'm fine with rule-of-cool nonsense.

With the caveat that it actually is cool.

Which in this case would require much more creative art.

judge death

Bravo and well said queeny :D The more we write the more I realise we share same thinking of the lore and how we see the xenomorph and the franchise work.

One could in theory say all xenomorphs are hybrids but I would rather say: they are xenomorphs that take traits and adapt by taking the best from the host they come from, but its still a xenomorph and they all have: the dome/long ehad, inenr jaw, tail, xeno look/biomechanical one, no eyes, acid for blood etc. While the royal line: queens and preatorians dont take traits and is pure, this is where I disagree with marvels idea of if you breed xenos with the same host they will change and become more human and develop into a new species.....So after a while the xenomorphs cease to exist, okay? While like trash queen said and most games and books and anchorpointessays(who remembers that site?) the queens dotn evolve and remains the same, same for any drone/warrior that grows to become a queen: loses all host traits and becomes a pure xenomorph queen, making sure the xenomorph line keeps going.

If we wasnt so hardcore fans and ask any movie watcher they would struggle to tell which xenomorph version these are(if we ignore the titles):

same for predalien, its basicly a xenomorph thats slightly bigger and have the mandibles but else its built and behaves and have same features as a normal xenomorph.
(ignoring the avp movies)

But I see why some love the idea of hybrids, it opens the door to new and exciting things and can go in new directions, funny thing is most xenomorph fans who make furry charachters make their xenomorphs more human than xenomorph and add genitals etc, kinda goes against the idea of xenomorphs but I see why some like going towards a more human aproach :P

I gotta say alien marines fireteam game and heck even colonial marines got the aliens designs right, coming from other hosts and being new types, they still have the xenomorph look and design to them and dont stand out like the sil creature.

But we might see later how she fits into the marvel story.
If this marvel run is expanded universe and not canon then I can easily look past any new stuff marvel does but from what In read this is canon material and then I will be nippicking as Im someone who cares deeply of previous lore and knowledge from all sources. :P

Immortan jones:Im bad at sarcasm but okay.

426buddy: reread the comic and youre right and now I remember why I didnt remember it too well and that I disliked it when I read it in the past, okay these hybrids didnt look much like xenomorphs but more insect like and was thinking and acting like humans, and the xenos obeying them and even mind controlled by one of these hybrids, dark horse screwed up there in my eyes and dislike it to this day, makes the xenomorphs look weaker when hybrids and humanoids are superiour to the xeno, but I say like thrash queen: it sucks. But it seems its not canon and more expanded universe thing. But you were right, glad we didnt get more of it.
I alos dislike the royal jelly and how its a plotdevice to make whatever a writer wants to in the story: make a new xeno type: royal jelly. Makes it too simple and dumb for my taste, but it has its fans :P

Also reread purge: this one made more sense as she is a android and was silicon based like xenos and the scientist managed to make her by altering an egg but she is still an android and not so much a hybrid, and the xenomorphs dont obey her but see her more like a part of the colony, not until the marines killed their queen they helped her to get revenge but not commanded by her.

Well time will tell, will keep my eyes open and see, like I said: if this comic series is canon then I will be very hard toward it and not like changes to what is established already, if its not canon and its own thing: then I wont mind it too much, might dislike making xenomorphs to develop and becoming into these humanoid xenos or whereever the story might go but as its its own thing I can let it slide :P

SM

SM

Aliens aren't silicon based.

judge death

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2021, 09:13:07 PM
Was going after what they said in purge when I wrote it, the scientist said: silicon polymid based, but it might very well be wrong. :)

Nightmare Asylum

The way I see things, any comic (or book, for that matter) can be overwritten by the next movie anyways (and while we're at it, any movie can be overwritten by the next movie to some extent or another).

I have no problem with the comics playing fast and loose with the rules and the lore, so long as what's done is interesting.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

People see what they want to see, sometimes even in poetic and elegant ways. But it's an interesting concept, with potential, poorly executed in the past.

Quote from: judge death on Mar 23, 2021, 08:37:27 PM
Immortan jones:Im bad at sarcasm but okay.

Sabres21768

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 22, 2021, 01:07:24 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 19, 2021, 08:22:43 PM
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/preview-marvel-comics-alien-1

5 page preview.
I really dislike that artwork. It looks... Not cheap, but lacklustre? As if there's no heart in it.
I've seen MUCH worse from some Dark Horse artists drawing Aliens.

Russ840

Ok. So I quiet enjoyed this. Anyone worried about it not being adult enough should be appeased.

I am really interested now and am looking forward to finding out what's going on.

Ignoring the fact that there is tracing going on, the art really works. It feels cinematic.

Spoiler
Little light on the Alien though.
[close]

Beyond that I have no criticism, yet. I need to re read it.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2021, 09:13:07 PM

I noticed recently regarding the Xenomorphs and silicone that the Weyland Yutani Archives of the AVPR blu-ray touches on this: (not that this should be taken as canon)

"A silicon-based shell, similar to the exoskeletons of many insect species combined with a mammal-like endoskeleton, researches have dubbed this outer structure a mesoskeleton"

Another entry in the archives section just says "silicon-based life form."

So perhaps their outer body is, this would be in line with what Ash says in the novelization about the facehugger being both carbon and silicone and replacing its outer layer with silicone.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed