Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 133,426 times)

predxeno

Nah, the writers were smart enough to know better than to make such an EPIC fight completely biased to one specific party.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 29, 2015, 03:10:56 AM
So the fight between Ahab and the Engineer wasn't one sided?

It is somewhat one-sided as
Spoiler
the Engineer is insanely durable. It takes a pointblank wristbomb explosion to kill him. Ahab does manage to hurt the Engineer rather badly but Galgo's help is definitely crucial. I don't think ol' Ahab would've pulled it off by himself.

That said...Ahab still limits his tactics to a semblance of honour. He doesn't spam his shoulder cannon, and he is uncloaked for most of the fight. It could be argued that he would've done a lot better had he not initiated the fight by attempting to brawl the Engineer with his fists.

He takes a serious beating because he literally attempts to box with the Engineer. Physically, Ahab is past his prime I believe...so I thought it was a tad foolhardy of him to trade punches with the Engineer. I suppose that's part of Ahab's personality
[close]

RakaiThwei

Well keep in mind that Ahab is old and far past his prime.. Which raises a question.

Spoiler
Could a Predator in his prime and with ample experience and skill, comparable to either Ahab or Dachande take on an Engineer more so than an older Predator who is well out of his prime?
[close]

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 29, 2015, 05:59:19 AM
Well keep in mind that Ahab is old and far past his prime.. Which raises a question.
Spoiler
Could a Predator in his prime and with ample experience and skill, comparable to either Ahab or Dachande take on an Engineer more so than an older Predator who is well out of his prime?
[close]

Probably not...I don't think a predator could beat an Engineer in a brawl.  The Engineer would simply be too durable.

Spoiler
However, a predator might win if he employs "cheap" tactics (i.e. shoulder cannon spam). It would probably be wise to aim for the Engineer's head if it's exposed as I think the Engineer's bodysuit might function as armour. Also, Engineer weapons are obviously powerful enough to wreck Engineers. A predator armed with an Engineer gun could easily snipe an Engineer. If Ahab had kept the Engineer gun instead of returning it to Galgo, Ahab could've easily blasted the Engineer...but in light of his personality, I doubt Ahab would've done that. Ahab seems to be intent on testing himself against the Engineer physically, which doesn't end well for him.
[close]

predxeno

The Predators often have an honor code when it comes to fighting worthy prey, recall how Dutch and Chet faced their respective Predator foes who disarmed themselves to make a fair fight?  Also, Ahab isn't the first Predator to ever kill an Engineer; if we take the Space Jockey skull in AVPR literally then it appears that a Predator has killed one of their kind before, albeit they may not have realized the elephant-head was just a helmet and may have mistakened it as part of the being's skull (something everyone appears to have done until Prometheus was released ;)).

happypred

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 29, 2015, 06:26:46 AM
The Predators often have an honor code when it comes to fighting worthy prey

Ahab does cheat a bit though...when it's going badly he's not above using shoulder cannon or cloaking to give himself a moment's respite

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 29, 2015, 06:26:46 AM
The Predators often have an honor code when it comes to fighting worthy prey, recall how Dutch and Chet faced their respective Predator foes who disarmed themselves to make a fair fight?  Also, Ahab isn't the first Predator to ever kill an Engineer; if we take the Space Jockey skull in AVPR literally then it appears that a Predator has killed one of their kind before, albeit they may not have realized the elephant-head was just a helmet and may have mistakened it as part of the being's skull (something everyone appears to have done until Prometheus was released ;)).

You know that is something which has bothered me about the fandom is the adamant claim that Predators take only the skulls. There is nothing in any of the official material, canon or non-canon and this includes crossovers which suggests that Predators don't take trophies of other varieties aside from skulls. If anything, from my understanding they take many things as trophies, more than just skulls-- although skull claiming would be an orthodox means of acquiring a trophy but there is nothing suggesting that they don't take other things.

Greyback took Raphael Adolini's flintlock, and then there was another Elder who had claimed Subotai's sword. So there is some evidence that Predators sometimes do take other objects as trophies aside from skulls. So I don't see it being out of the realm for a Predator to claim a helmet as a means of taking a trophy. I mean as cringeworthy as Deadliest of the Species is.. and I know they are just easter eggs but we do see Batman's skull and cowl, as well as Magneto's skull and helmet, and Cyclops' skull and visor. So I don't see it as unreasonable for a Predator to take an Engineer helmet.

And that is assuming of course, Prometheus and the AvP films are set in the same universe. I say assume because I don't believe they are and instead follow different continuity paths.. Of course, that goes with this theory I have anyways.

happypred

Smiley takes a Queen's tail-blade as a trophy...her massive noggin would probably be too cumbersome for him to carry

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Jan 29, 2015, 07:45:51 AM
Smiley takes a Queen's tail-blade as a trophy.

So did the Predators in Capcom's AvP Arcade!

happypred

RakaiThwei

If you ask me, and this is my opinion and perhaps mine only.. Those were the better days. That was when AvP was sort of in it's hey-day, when we had the Kenner toys and everything.

happypred

Fire & Stone isn't bad. I just have really high expectations and a strong sense of nostalgia. I view the past through rose-tinted glasses, I can't help it. 

I'd give the 2009 series a 3 or 4 out of 10. I'd say Fire and Stone deserves a 7.5
If Omega is good, I think the aggregate score might be boosted to 8 or higher. Omega's art looks absolutely spectacular. I have high hopes for it.   

Corporal Hicks

That's a pretty big swing around for you.

I'm pretty excited to pick up my issues this Saturday.

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2015, 08:56:50 AM
That's a pretty big swing around for you.

I'm pretty excited to pick up my issues this Saturday.

Not really...AvP Fire and Stone is bad. Elden is a bad character. That doesn't mean the entire Fire and Stone series is rubbish. 7.5 isn't a great score in my book. It's just "OK". Academically, 75% is like what...a C? 

Corporal Hicks

Which is good. Anything above a 6 is good. 6 is okay.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed