Finally got ALIENS VS PREDATOR (2010) working PC. General Lotz review link also

Started by AVP-CAPCOM, Oct 01, 2019, 11:59:09 AM

Author
Finally got ALIENS VS PREDATOR (2010) working PC. General Lotz review link also (Read 15,909 times)

AVP-CAPCOM

Well this is embarrassing.

Here is my AVP games list in chronological order,

Had AVP (1999) working on my very old DELL PC, but AVP 2 wouldn't work in 2003.

Got AVP 2 working on a basic ASUS, but AVP 2010 wouldn't work in early 2010.

Long story short got a Business PC with maxed out processor and wacked in a GPU upgrade from Ebay.

I now have AVP 2010 working and..................I am a little disappointed to say the least.

I reloaded this general lotz video review (gaining him a 336 likes against 175 dislikes).

I agree that AVP 2010 is graphically spectacular and is the ALIENS VS PREDATOR future war movie we never got. The production values and nods are absolutely out there.

BUT the gameplay is, as he said, been "COD-ified" (Call of Duty does ALIENS). Rather than interact you wait, wait, wait for someone to open a door and you just shoot whatevers there.
Works for COD doesn't work for ALIENS.

Where is the exploration, where is the skill?

I've heard the ALIEN specimen campagn is good but yet to play that arc.

Samhain13

I thought the Alien campaign was the worse of the 3. Short, rushed, not much of a plot. Marine had the best first levels. Predator was overall fun for me all the way.

The game's development was rushed and they tried to appeal to the "mainstream gaming", so the COD-ified thing. ACM did that even more though, AVP2010 got more appreciated after that.

I think the game's graphics still look good, at the time it was incredible seeing a new AVP game looking like that. But I'm still bothered by the choices in the designs of creatures, copying the AVP(2004) Predator designs, short aliens that are always on fours... not the most pleasant sight.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 01, 2019, 03:43:12 PMI think the game's graphics still look good, at the time it was incredible seeing a new AVP game looking like that. But I'm still bothered by the choices in the designs of creatures, copying the AVP(2004) Predator designs, short aliens that are always on fours... not the most pleasant sight.

Ah yes I forgot the game also, purposefully, merged a lot of references from AVP and Alien Resurrection* (*the shotgun and beat up Pulse Rifles for example).

The AVP pyramid, Lance Henriksen (unsure if human or robot or descendant), the stylised red hologram HUD of the PREDATOR and the xenomorph designs including long tail, growling noise and quadripedal movements.

Yes the Xenomorphs are meant to be 8 feet tall but the films (starting with ALIENS) have struggled to find suit actors with that imposing height.
Bolaji Badejo (original ALIEN suit actor) was 7 foot 2 in real life. Tom Woodruff Jnr is 6 foot 2 playing predalien (AVPR).

I think a "forced perspective" or other visual effect techniques could've been used, but instead the height was retconned for practicality.

Going back I actually like the inclusion of AVP (2004 film) references and thought the Paul W S Anderson film would be more akin to the AVP 2010 game if the budget were larger, the certificate, violence and future setting remained.

Katanu

Katanu

It's been a few years since I've played this one. I'll replay the campaing to see how it holds up. I remember enjoying it at the time, but not at the same level as AvP 2.
After I finish with it, I'll play the first one that I sadly never played. Thankfully Steam has it for sale.

UPDATE:
So I've started playing as the Alien, and so far there isn't much to the campaing story...
You scape, kill a bunch of guys, help save the Queen, kill more guys... it's kind of boring after some time. Here's hoping the Alien campaing gets better as I play it. The last level I played was the forest. I'm playing it on my Ps3.

UPDATE 2:
Just finished the Alien campaing, I didn't remember it was this short and flat. It's as if they didn't know what to do with the Alien. Next I'll play as Marine.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed