The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms)

Started by RagingDragon, Apr 30, 2014, 05:24:22 AM

What is your favorite type of strategy game?

Real-Time Strategy/Tactics (Starcraft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer)
13 (54.2%)
Turn-Based Strategy/Tactics (Age of Wonders, X-COM, Heros of Might and Magic)
3 (12.5%)
4X (Civilzation, Master of Orion)
1 (4.2%)
Tactical Roleplaying (Final Fantasy Tactics)
1 (4.2%)
City Building, Economics, Management (SimCity, Ceasar, Anno, Tropico, Rollercoaster Tycoon)
0 (0%)
Real-Time/Turn-Based Hybrid (Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire)
3 (12.5%)
Wargames/Grand Strategy (Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis)
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author
The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms) (Read 16,901 times)

RagingDragon

So I figured since strategy games don't seem too popular on here, and we don't already have a thread like this, I'd start one. The amount of strategy game neglect on this forum is a hell-no :P.

I'm a strategy game nut and I know I'm not alone. They're some of the first games I ever played on the pc and are partially responsible for why I love pc gaming so much.

So please, all you strategy fans, let's discuss new and old, your favorites and not-so-favorites, and keep this thread going for a long time to come. All formats are welcome: RTS, Turn-based, 4x, economy sims, city-builders, grand strategy, wargames, you name it, let's discuss!

I'll start. I'm regularly playing Medieval: Total War 2, Third Age Mod, Star Wars: Empire at War, and just bought the Cossacks collection.

Medieval 2 is such a great game, a true classic, and I'm very happy sticking with it since from what I've seen it remains about the best the series has to offer overall. Third Age is epic but could use some work; still worth it for those tactical battles though.

I really enjoy SW: Empire at War, but I find myself really wanting more out of the game. I can deal with the funky ground combat, but the building and planet map seem just too basic for what a Star Wars strategy game should be.

I'm about to reinstall Alpha Centauri since that's been one of my favorite games for years now and I often get a wicked itch to replay it. The best of the Civ series, I think, but I haven't played the new ones proper so there's that. I have more games on the roster, but I'll stop there for now.

Cal427eb

I like playing them, but damn am I bad at them.

SM

I really dug Age Of Empires 2 (and its Star Wars equivalent).  I dug Empire At War, but suck at it something fierce, so only dig it until I get the shit kicked out of me by the Empire...

Could never get into Medievel - Total War.

Kimarhi

The original StarCraft is the only RTS I truly loved.  None of the rest I could enjoy as much as the first one.  When I was in highschool I was taking a bunch of computer networking/cisco classes and PC repair classes at our tradeschool and we used to finish our assignments early, disconnect the computers from the internet connect the Ethernet cables to our computers instead and have LAN battles against each other in SC.  It was amaze.  Some of the battles were pretty epic though.  We played each other so much we knew each others moves and it would take some crazy stroke of luck to change the fortunes of our battles.  I remember having a ghost calling in a nuke on one of my buddies bases, his cloak ran out whilst a herd of hydraulisk were coming toward him.  He took damage from the nearest hydraulisk but the nuke wiped them all out and most of the dudes primary defenses as well (he was a protoss player but the his teammate let him use hydraulisk while he built defenses and siege weapons).  I started calling in another nuke when the actual protoss player sent a motherf**king probe out that killed my ghost with one hit.  Eventually they rebuilt their siege units and a mass of protoss and zerg killed me.  Crazy stuff like that.  You haven't lived until you've repelled or pulled off a zergling rush in the first minutes of play. 

Then the principle would find us and make us stop. 

Predator Queen

I really liked age of mythology.  That's all I got.

SM

I thought I'd like that even more AoE2.  Found it a bit meh, sadly.

RagingDragon

A great first page!

Empire at War is fun, but yes, the Empire just hands you your ass, both in space and on land. :-\ Star Destroyers are truly awesome.

I played the hell out of Starcraft and play Starcraft 2 actively, but those games are so mechanically intensive that it's hard to play them without giving 100%. Not like a relaxing strategy game where you can sit back and plan and make your moves. Oh hell no, your APM (actions per minute) are being measured against your opponent, and the faster you do things, the higher your chance of winning.

That's why the Koreans are so bloody good at it, lol. Their reflexes and mechanical skills are just incredible. Of course it comes from lots of practice and very hard work, but I blame their wonderful diets too. Murica has too much sugar and Mountain Dew, hard to keep that flawless consistency at a rapid pace.

Age of Mythology I also played for years. Love that game very much; it's truly wonderful. :)

Etimos. Prostagma?

Cal427eb

The only way I know how to win in Empire at War is to create the Death Star and destroy all the planets.  :laugh:

SM

Ah, so if I get stuck into the kim chi and bul gogi, I'll be better on Empire At War?

RagingDragon

It is kim chi secret. Ancient oriental wisdom.

Kimarhi

Their actually was an old Playstation Game called Unholy War that was pretty simple back in the day for original Playstation.  It was half RTS and half third person shooter.  It was all about utilizing the map to get the best matchup with your opponent back in the day when you did meet in the third person battles.

It wasn't really intensive at all, but I did play it quite a bit way back when.

Rong

Ill play you c**ts at Empire at war...

Played Medieval total war 2

Loved Rome total war, haven't played the new one.

Fav is Sins of a Solar Empire.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0aMApQCfU

RagingDragon

Quote from: Rong on Apr 30, 2014, 01:35:38 PM
Ill play you c**ts at Empire at war...

Played Medieval total war 2

Loved Rome total war, haven't played the new one.

Fav is Sins of a Solar Empire.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0aMApQCfU
Ah, Rong, that's sweet! I never imagined you the type lol, but Sins is supposed to be one of the best.

I have Galactic Civilizations 2, but I haven't been able to get into it yet. Love 4x space games, just trying to pick a great one to settle on since they usually have a bit of a learning curve.

Was trying to decide between Sins, GalCiv, or Masters of Orion 2. Different qualities to all of them.

Rong

plz dragon plz call me Lord Baeylish.

OG sins is an awesomely balanced game.

also love Civ played them all was obsessed with Civ 2 as a kid, civ 5 was pretty decent aswell looking forward to this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtYWqE55s24

RagingDragon

Quote from: Rong on Apr 30, 2014, 09:42:26 PM
plz dragon plz call me Lord Baeylish.

OG sins is an awesomely balanced game.

also love Civ played them all was obsessed with Civ 2 as a kid, civ 5 was pretty decent aswell looking forward to this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtYWqE55s24
Littlefinger. ;)

Man that looks interesting, just around the corner too.

Did you ever play Alpha Centauri? Drop what you're doing and start playing it now if you never have. It's the best Civ game ever made. 8)

http://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed