Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 306,262 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Oct 12, 2021, 03:11:55 PM
I'm positive there's a way of incorporating dialogue without it sounding so cartoonish, Voodoo!  :laugh:

Okay, I'll try!

"Great one, there's life on the third planet from the sun!"
"Yes, I see Cha-Tuck! Much hunting to be had!"
"Aye, much Skulls to collect. More trophies for our wall!"
"We will have many kills this day!"
"We go at once! Land the Ship on that mountain Cha-tuck!"

"Leader, there is life detected on the third planet in orbit around that star!"
"Yes, I see Cha-Tuck. Life signs. Warm climate. The varying species are robust. This planet is an optimal environment for our hunting rituals."
"Many of these species will be quite a challenge to hunt and result in spectacular additions to our trophy collections."
"Let us be the first of our kind to hunt this green planet!"
"I concur! Let's depart immediately. Land on the large mass in the northern quadrant location, Cha-tuck"

Now the question is... did I just make it worse, or better?  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

John Shirley did great job with Predator dialogue IRC

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 12, 2021, 04:16:24 PM
Quote from: Wysps on Oct 12, 2021, 03:11:55 PM
I'm positive there's a way of incorporating dialogue without it sounding so cartoonish, Voodoo!  :laugh:

Okay, I'll try!

"Great one, there's life on the third planet from the sun!"
"Yes, I see Cha-Tuck! Much hunting to be had!"
"Aye, much Skulls to collect. More trophies for our wall!"
"We will have many kills this day!"
"We go at once! Land the Ship on that mountain Cha-tuck!"

"Leader, there is life detected on the third planet in orbit around that star!"
"Yes, I see Cha-Tuck. Life signs. Warm climate. The varying species are robust. This planet is an optimal environment for our hunting rituals."
"Many of these species will be quite a challenge to hunt and result in spectacular additions to our trophy collections."
"Let us be the first of our kind to hunt this green planet!"
"I concur! Let's depart immediately. Land on the large mass in the northern quadrant location, Cha-tuck"

Now the question is... did I just make it worse, or better?  :laugh:

I think there may be a relation -

https://youtu.be/m-qT8tjS000?t=72

:D :D

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Oct 12, 2021, 04:44:51 PM
I think there may be a relation -

https://youtu.be/m-qT8and a good sixty years!tjS000?t=72

:D :D

lol, I missed my calling... and about 60 years! :laugh:

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

The Predator has been around since 1987. With several movies, novels, and comics, canon or not. There is no mystifying them anymore. They're hunters, they have tribes, codes of honor, they look different, and we've seen females. And they're home planet, and their subspecies rivals. Two members of the same species talking to one another takes absolutely nothing away.

Infact I would actually LOVE to see two Predators communicating and coordinating during a hunt. Like actually see it as it's happening, not off screen.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Honestly, the only one I can see write Predator dialogue well is Steve Perry. Its not too clean that it breaks apart from how they act, but also not too savage "ugha bunga" type of tone that would make them dumb brutes. I can't dismiss the idea of Predator dialogue but just that idk if anyone can do it justice.

skhellter

skhellter

if the predators have dialogue in anything it better be some conan / mad max / man with no name
"WARRIOR way of life" bullshit (and keep it to a minimum) or the whole tone of the character (and what little we know of their culture) will be off.

Stitch

Stitch

Predator mimicking/mocking humans = great. Predator casually chatting about how the trip is going = sucky.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 12, 2021, 11:30:26 PM
if the predators have dialogue in anything it better be some conan / mad max / man with no name
"WARRIOR way of life" bullshit (and keep it to a minimum) or the whole tone of the character (and what little we know of their culture) will be off.

Predator with assless chaps plz

Some Old Dude

Some Old Dude

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 11, 2021, 11:29:12 AM
the predator is going to turn to the camera and go

"you know.. this is the first time any of us has ever been here. :) Now let's collect some Skulls!"

So that's it huh.... We're some kind of Predator"

Kradan

Kradan

"Why Predator ?"

"We've put it to a vote"

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Shuriken on Oct 12, 2021, 05:22:31 PM
The Predator has been around since 1987. With several movies, novels, and comics, canon or not. There is no mystifying them anymore. They're hunters, they have tribes, codes of honor, they look different, and we've seen females. And they're home planet, and their subspecies rivals. Two members of the same species talking to one another takes absolutely nothing away.

Infact I would actually LOVE to see two Predators communicating and coordinating during a hunt. Like actually see it as it's happening, not off screen.

I hear ya, but I would counter many of the aspects in the EU wouldn't translate well on screen to general audiences. That's one of the reasons why I was so personally thrilled with the Hunter's series. With both Hunters I and II, my feelings were those scripts could be translated on screen verbatim!

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 12, 2021, 11:26:16 PM
Honestly, the only one I can see write Predator dialogue well is Steve Perry. Its not too clean that it breaks apart from how they act, but also not too savage "ugha bunga" type of tone that would make them dumb brutes. I can't dismiss the idea of Predator dialogue but just that idk if anyone can do it justice.

The last thing I would want is Predators coming off as Klingons though arguing about honor etc., and that's the risk. Predators can be seen in the prism of mysterious, mythical "demon"-like scary monsters that fit well in a slasher movie mold, while Klingons do not. At the very least, I think there's definitely a balance needed here to maintain that, which leans more to the audience-not-fully-understanding-what-the-Predators-are-saying side imo.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 13, 2021, 03:38:44 AM

https://upgifs.com//img/gifs/FrzWzdiI14pSo.gif

they already wear fishnets. It's the logical step.

Kradan

Kradan

Pls no

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 13, 2021, 06:04:45 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 13, 2021, 03:38:44 AM

https://upgifs.com//img/gifs/FrzWzdiI14pSo.gif

they already wear fishnets. It's the logical step.

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed