Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 306,357 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 11, 2021, 11:29:12 AM
the predator is going to turn to the camera and go

"you know.. this is the first time any of us has ever been here. :) Now let's collect some Skulls!"

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

"Captain, we've detected traces of tasty DNA, and even a hint of autism." "Set a course, Number One. Make it so."

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 11, 2021, 11:29:12 AM
the predator is going to turn to the camera and go

"you know.. this is the first time any of us has ever been here. :) Now let's collect some Skulls!"

I will buy 100 tickets. I will buy 20 more if it calls one of the side characters a chud or a cuck, and another 20 if it tells the audience to like and subscribe before an action scene.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 11, 2021, 09:46:06 PM
Because it f**king sucks.

But how? How is showing two members of an intelligent species talk so bad? The Predator committed many sins. But that wasn't one of them.

Doomofman

Doomofman

Quote from: The Shuriken on Oct 12, 2021, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 11, 2021, 09:46:06 PM
Because it f**king sucks.

But how? How does showing two members of an intelligent species talk so bad? The Predator committed many sins. But that wasn't one of them.

For me it just demystifies them too much. But I'm on the "don't show me their homeworld" side of the table. Yes they are clearly intelligent and would speak to each other somehow but I don't really want to see it, they're already human enough being essentially a dude in a suit, watching them have a chat about their trip to Earth is just something I don't want to see. But each to their own, different people want different things from this series and who am I to say one way is right or wrong

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Doomofman on Oct 12, 2021, 12:15:33 PM
For me it just demystifies them too much.

BAM!!! You took the very response right out of my mouth as I was reading this debate. It demystifies the Predators too much! 100% Agreed.

I can roll with it to some degree in the EU, but demystifying your monster in film is the wrong direction to take in my opinion, as does explaining the Space Jockey or the origin of the Alien (looking at you Ridley). Don't eliminate the unknown and all the mystery, wonder and fear that comes with it!

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Hearing them speak broken English with a close up of chucke cheese mouth is fine, but hearing them speak their own language isn't? What a weird hill to die on.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Oct 12, 2021, 12:36:16 PM
Hearing them speak broken English with a close up of chucke cheese mouth is fine, but hearing them speak their own language isn't? What a weird hill to die on.

Chuck E Cheese mouth?  ::)

Subtitles. Hearing their own language and noises is fine to me. The audience extrapolating what's going on is fine to me. Having it translated for us in English just demystifies the creature (to me).

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Doomofman on Oct 12, 2021, 12:15:33 PMFor me it just demystifies them too much.

Just as much as also knowing if they are male or female IMO.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 12, 2021, 01:24:55 PM
Quote from: Doomofman on Oct 12, 2021, 12:15:33 PMFor me it just demystifies them too much.

Just as much as also knowing if they are male or female IMO.

Well, with the cod piece, pectoral muscles, etc. etc., I'd say most general audiences view and refer to the Predators they've seen as "hes" versus "it" (like with Alien) so I believe those same audiences already believe there are female Predators out there... so I wouldn't see any demystifying going on there, if what we saw in the below pic was hunting Comanche.

So to me, seeing a female Predator doesn't come close in regards to demystifying the creature, as reading dialogue like this would...

"Great one, there's life on the third planet from the sun!"
"Yes, I see Cha-Tuck! Much hunting to be had!"
"Aye, much Skulls to collect. More trophies for our wall!"
"We will have many kills this day!"
"We go at once! Land the Ship on that mountain Cha-tuck!"

To me, the more of this dialogue occurs in a film, the more it demystifies, the worse it gets. I say to some degree, treat the Predator like Michael Myers in a slasher movie, and I'll be smiling ear-to-ear. :)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The Predator's a mythic being, a force of nature, with the only words to speak being mockeries of our own.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 12, 2021, 02:55:09 PM
The Predator's a mythic being a force of nature with the only words to speak being mockeries of our own.

Well said!

Wysps

Wysps

I'm positive there's a way of incorporating dialogue without it sounding so cartoonish, Voodoo!  :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It's not about how it sounds- it is the absence of it completely that gives it a spirit like quality- and the importance of body language, and wondering what it might be thinking on a rewatch, when you give it a voice to articulate itself through you diminish all that.

Wysps

Wysps

So I do get where the idea comes from, that not having that "understanding" through dialogue is vital to keeping the Predator's mystery - and keeping them at an affective arm's length.  Idk, to me that facet of mystery is not integral to the Predator character, or keeping it's integrity.  That's just not my individual benchmark.  I'd say that the sexual dimorphism was more important to me, but alas...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed