Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 306,163 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Any bets when the first teaser/trailer arrives?

goose_3387

goose_3387

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 09, 2021, 07:06:17 PM
Any bets when the first teaser/trailer arrives?

Not even a release date yet. Can't see anything happening anytime soon.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Oct 09, 2021, 12:54:58 PM
AVP isn't so much my concern as I can take or leave it, but the comics go back almost as far as the first film itself, the first comic was released in 1989 just a year and a half after Predator was released in theaters and a good portion of the comics are very good stories, that I think are fathoms better than any Predator movie after Predator and Predator 2, completely ignoring the comics hurts the continuity and is not good for the story or franchise in my personal opinion.

As a hardcore fan, this is an issue for you. The average moviegoer likely doesn't even know there are comics to contradict, and they're where the $$$ is - there just aren't enough fanatics to pay the bills on a studio film, and so keeping them happy is secondary at absolute best.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Objectively, having the Predator visit Earth in the 17th century simply limits the potential universe building of the Predator series. Profit wise, means less means to rake in that cash and creative wise it confines the series into a corner. I mean if there was a film of a Predator hunting during the Mongol Invasion of Japan during the 12th century, people will line up to see it. Sure, someone can say samurai still existed in the 17th century too, but with the Mongols in a interesting time period of high conflict? Don't cork that bottle if ya know whats good for ya, but hey its the suits, they usually don't know good shit if it bit them in the ass

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Thank you, that's what I meant by my earlier comment, I'm not a Predator zealot haha I've only read 7 comics, I just think from a story standpoint it puts limitations on it.

Clubroot

Clubroot

@Wweyland

If we don't see a trailer or teaser by Christmas of this year, then I believe they are going to release a trailer near or close to release.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 09, 2021, 09:18:23 PM
Don't cork that bottle if ya know whats good for ya, but hey its the suits, they usually don't know good shit if it bit them in the ass

This is what it boils down to. At least there's no more Rothman.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 09, 2021, 11:07:06 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 09, 2021, 09:18:23 PM
Don't cork that bottle if ya know whats good for ya, but hey its the suits, they usually don't know good shit if it bit them in the ass
This is what it boils down to. At least there's no more Rothman.
I agree

SiL

SiL

I feel it's not really as much of an issue as it's being made out. Has that much of the franchise, EU or otherwise, actually done much with them hunting here for thousands of years over the last two and a bit decades?

I know there are a few stories, but I never got the impression it was a particularly important aspect. Most stories are contemporary or near future and don't necessarily lean on a millennia-spanning relationship.

I'm not advocating the idea of this film being first contact, but I don't feel it's really throttling anything meaningfully.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It isn't really, which is why the suits don't know or care.

Master

Master

Is it really possible to show it on screen?

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

I suppose it doesn't really matter that much, i just got used to the idea that they had been a large part of human history in AVP and other media, now that doesn't mean I'm not open to change, there are just a few stories i don't want to be erased (like they seem to do all the time these days, looking at you Star Wars) because there are a few outstanding ones, now they will probably remain unaffected though, even if they make this their first visit to earth.

skhellter

skhellter

Nothing's really "erased".

You're still free to enjoy those old stories and their different continuities.

Something being "canon" doesn't automatically raise it up to a level of sainthood.

It's only relevant when you want to see how story X relates to stories Y and Z.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Good point, so then it truly is of no concern then. Thank you haha.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 10, 2021, 07:57:01 PM
Nothing's really "erased".

You're still free to enjoy those old stories and their different continuities.

Something being "canon" doesn't automatically raise it up to a level of sainthood.

It's only relevant when you want to see how story X relates to stories Y and Z.

THIS!  100% THIS!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed