Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 314,976 times)

SiL

SiL

We're talking preferences - what you like, or what I like, really doesn't have anything to do with what a fictional organism might like.

It's also not a great comparison. Actual hunters won't hunt in certain seasons or certain weather conditions because they aren't favourable. That's closer to the mark than safely watching a game.

Hell, those sports players sometimes won't play if the conditions are wrong. It's very different comparing an activity you're active in, vs passively watching from the sidelines.

EDIT

For what it's worth, beef is stored in lockers around 1 degree Celsius, or 34f. That's much, much cooler than the stated 105f preference.

Yet City Hunter doesn't seem particularly bothered by it.

So either P2 shows they already have means of compensating, such as if the netting is heated, or cooler temperatures don't incapacitate them.

Humans also don't do great for too long at such low temperatures, but obviously you can walk into a freezer and not immediately keel over. Just like Harrigan does.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 11:13:10 PM
We're talking preferences - what you like, or what I like, really doesn't have anything to do with what a fictional organism might like.

It's also not a great comparison. Actual hunters won't hunt in certain seasons or certain weather conditions because they aren't favourable. That's closer to the mark than safely watching a game.

Hell, those sports players sometimes won't play if the conditions are wrong. It's very different comparing an activity you're active in, vs passively watching from the sidelines.

No, hunting seasons are pretty much based on population control. There's plenty of hunters right here in Pennsylvania that would go all year long if they could!

Maybe not conveyed as well, but my comparison was more in regard to the vast degree difference we'll sit through not generating additional activity body heat to keep us warm, compared to the smaller degree difference they will / will not hunt in. Jungles are still damn hot!

But yes, go ahead and compare that to the American football players that are playing. They'll play in sweltering heat to below freezing temperatures, while it's snowing. (Lightning storm though - they're off the field. Too dangerous. )

So the original point still stands, if humid 100°F / 37 Celcius is no longer ideal to go have some fun hunting in a still sweltering (to us) jungle... that it affects Predators too much physiologically to run around and throw smart discs and shoot plasma casters, then the -35 °F/C average of Antarctica should be an outright death dealer for Scar, the Elder, any Predator that stands in it and doesn't compensate.

All I personally wanted to see was some extra effort put forth to show the audience Predators compensating for the cold in some way - via technology, medicine or apparel. A syringe shot resulting in their veins illuminating with a momentarily red glow. A breather mask of some sort (which would looked so cool). Then I would have been good-to-go based on the previous films internal logic. But staying consistent to lore for both creatures did not seem to be a priority to Anderson. What can ya do. I know it used to bother others in this community, maybe it was just the old timers, and me an Briggs are the only ones left complaining. Oh well

One more from you if ya want, then let's get back to Skulls!   :)

SiL

SiL

I think at this point we're just shooting the shit, so let's return to Skulls!

Edit

... Although I'm still very curious how you explain the meat locker >_>

Master

Master

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2021, 01:05:47 AM

VOODO MAGIC! Fokin Voodo Magic Man, hahaha!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

:laugh:

Sorry. I missed your edit when I replied. I wanted to give you the last word so we can get back on topic, so in the briefest way possible, meat lockers are not freezers and never below freezing. It can poorly affect hanging meat. That's where the City Hunter grabs his food. My assumption is he doesn't hang around in there, he kicks back on the roof or in his hot steamy ship. He wasn't prepared to have a battle in there. There was no opportunity for preparedness. One can even suggest the rebreather mask was used to help him overcome the cold - the Jungle Hunter didn't use it for his wounds or air quality after fighting Dutch while breathing Earth's oxygen.

Antarctica is far below freezing however, in subzero temperatures. That's a whole new level of ballgame. All the Predators knew the climate they were entering before hand, and I would have liked to see some visual preparedness. Small touches like the rebreather mask no one seems to spend time on these days. I miss the medkits. Those little details. 10 seconds spent showing your glowing netting idea in AvP I would have loved - making this discussion non-existent. :)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 13, 2021, 12:48:32 PM

Those little details. 10 seconds spent showing your glowing netting idea in AvP I would have loved - making this discussion non-existent. :)

Not sure why but I'm now picturing perfect diamond sear marks, that are so hard to get right on a steak  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 13, 2021, 02:07:34 PM

Those little details. 10 seconds spent showing your glowing netting idea in AvP I would have loved - making this discussion non-existent. :)

Not sure why but I'm now picturing perfect diamond sear marks, that are so hard to get right on a steak  :laugh:

MmmmMmmm. Yum! Yum!

Immortan Jonesy

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

SiL

[so in the briefest way possible, meat lockers are not freezers and never below freezing. It can poorly affect hanging meat. That's where the City Hunter grabs his food. My assumption is he doesn't hang around in there, he kicks back on the roof or in his hot steamy ship.
Thanks, but I actually mentioned the temperatures and wasn't implying the place was freezing. What I was really asking about is you repeatedly seemed to imply that even 90 degrees would put them out of commission vs 105, yet he's running around at 34 degrees without a care in the world.

Bringing it all back to Skulls - seeing a Predator hunt in a cold, miserable, foggy forest would be beautiful, and so long as they have a reason for it to be there in those conditions I'm all for it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2021, 10:05:28 PM
Thanks, but I actually mentioned the temperatures and wasn't implying the place was freezing. What I was really asking about is you repeatedly seemed to imply that even 90 degrees would put them out of commission vs 105, yet he's running around at 34 degrees without a care in the world.

Putting them out a commission is a bit severe, but as I started this conversation a few pages back I suspected Predators may be cold blooded like lizards, which puts them at a disadvantage compared to warm-blooded animals because their metabolism slows, hence cold-blooded animals aren't active in the winter. It wouldn't happen with an instantaneous snap of a finger (or retrieving food from a meat warehouse), but rather a snowball effect. It fits the Thomas Brothers logic that is presented to us - of only in the hottest climates they hunt. And that's why I wanted to see an effort to upgrade the Predators' apparel and tech to compensate for the sub-zero temperatures in AvP, because they knew the climate they were entering. Common lizards can be found on every continent except Antartica ya know. :)

Master

Master

Here comes your AvP Galaxy full-time MD. Predators can't be cold blooded. They are to big for that. Even earth based lizards of certains size (like crocodiles) have constant body temperature. TBH AvP Preds do look quite different to all other Preds we've seen before. I bet this extra armor around chest has special warming unit. There problem solved!

ace3g

ace3g

Saw this rig from another angle in DD's IG story like a week ago.  Should be an interesting "there's something in those trees..." scene

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master on Aug 14, 2021, 03:24:29 PM
Here comes your AvP Galaxy full-time MD. Predators can't be cold blooded. They are to big for that. Even earth based lizards of certains size (like crocodiles) have constant body temperature. TBH AvP Preds do look quite different to all other Preds we've seen before. I bet this extra armor around chest has special warming unit. There problem solved!

Err, the biggest anaconda, the green anaconda is around 20 feet in length and they're cold blooded, but who am I to question our AVPG FT MD!  ;D

But, yeah, who knows. The dream is getting the Thomas Brothers on a podcast to definitively answer all these things. Hopefully one day!   Until then, we'll go with your armor idea. :)

Quote from: ace3g on Aug 14, 2021, 04:15:27 PM
Saw this rig from another angle in DD's IG story like a week ago.  Should be an interesting "there's something in those trees..." scene

I hope we get a lot of the Predator jumping tree to tree to tree in "Predator5/ Skulls/ Skull/ Hunter/ Whatever". The Predator has seemed to lose its limberness as of late and I'd love to see it return!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed