Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 315,270 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The pyramid could be what netted O'Bannon and Shusett a story credit on the movie.

SiL

SiL

From memory it was.

Yet Shane Salerno, despite actively rewriting the script, didn't get an on-screen credit. How bizarre.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Writer's Guild bizarrely and inconsistently applies its own rules. The weirdest one I've come across by far is for the first Tomb Raider movie, where something like four writers are credited, and their drafts have little in common with the film, which Simon West basically made up from scratch.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 11, 2021, 07:35:17 PM
Yeah, geared up to fight Aliens. Again, as far as the Thomas Brothers goes, the netting was for camouflage  - hence drawn by heat and conflict. If the netting is designed for warmth, Predators only need to be drawn to conflict, not heat - who cares about the climate.

But the camouflage reasoning is barely more valid than the heating thing. If anything, the novelisation is more accessible than the script (is intended to be.) Neither were on-screen explainations.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 05:00:49 AM
From memory it was.

Yet Shane Salerno, despite actively rewriting the script, didn't get an on-screen credit. How bizarre.

It was. Anderson had admitted it in an interview, and it was brought up in the arbitration.

SiL

SiL

I always took the "drawn to heat" as more akin to finding most big game hunters going to Africa rather than freezing their nuts off for polar bears and tigers in Siberia.

It's not that they can't freeze their nuts off for polar bears and tigers -- they just don't want to.

I mean, City Hunter didn't seem to be particularly bothered by being in the meat locker until he had holes blown into him by Harrigan.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Just jumping into this one here.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 11, 2021, 09:55:06 AM
Except Lex and crew wore a jacket through their entire duration inside the pyramid. So it certainly can't be deemed as hot, or even warm, or they would have stripped their jackets off - especially with all that running and surviving.

They actually did remove a layer:

Also given there was a room in the pyramid with a good bit of water dripping, the energy of the structure being activated (described by the heat bloom) was likely melting some of the ice. Goes to reason it would be a bit warmer.

I've never had a problem with it myself, we saw them hunting in cold environments in the comics too, regardless if they were stranded or not, they seemed to handle it alright.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 11, 2021, 01:36:18 PM
IIRC SiL means the AvP novelization?

Ah... so that's where I got the idea of heated netting: the AVP novelization.

Kradan

Kradan

I always took it as Predators liking an additional challenge in a form of an extreme heat (or cold) - not them being such a warm-loving pussies

That's the element of The Predator I actually DON"T LIKE - "Their planet is cooling down, oh no, so they decided to invade ours or whatever"

SiL

SiL

I thought the point was they wanted to hunt us as quickly as possible because we were killing ourselves with climate change?

... Or was that an earlier version? That film was a mess.

The most ludicrous take on Predators liking the heat comes from Concrete Jungle, the comic, where the Predators all leave in the middle of a massive fight because it starts to rain  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Oh yeah, they wanted to harvest our genes. Maybe Earth invasion was in earlier script ? I honestly don't remember

I actually liked Concrete Jungle ending 'cause it showcased how powerless Schaefer was against Predators - he would've been killed if not for nature's interference. And it's not Preds loving heat so much - it was end of a hunting season for them

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 06:34:26 AM
I always took the "drawn to heat" as more akin to finding most big game hunters going to Africa rather than freezing their nuts off for polar bears and tigers in Siberia.

I was grew up understanding this was steam, with a thankful validation that came when Stephen Hopkins said "We put dry ice in, just to make it feel like a hot environment they came from."

Combing that knowlege with the Predators only coming to hunt during the hottest times, it always implied to me that they need the heat... otherwise Predators would hunt every year, versus only some years. Because why give up their favorite thing to do on Earth... hunt... if the temperature has only dropped 15 degrees Fahrenheit? Unless, there's some level of discomfort in the colder temperature that prevents them from comfortably doing so, at the very least.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Aug 12, 2021, 06:36:01 AM
I've never had a problem with it myself, we saw them hunting in cold environments in the comics too, regardless if they were stranded or not, they seemed to handle it alright.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of them in challenging environments too, I just personally wanted care for the existing lore from Anderson, just a quick in-movie compensation for the cold, something that doesn't make me *and Peter Briggs at least :laugh:*  pause and say, but Anna said...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 12, 2021, 08:23:23 PM
I was grew up understanding this was steam, with a thankful validation that came when Stephen Hopkins said "We put dry ice in, just to make it feel like a hot environment they came from."

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/lost-predator-ship-10.jpg

Combing that knowlege with the Predators only coming to hunt during the hottest times, it always implied to me that they need the heat... otherwise Predators would hunt every year, versus only some years. Because why give up their favorite thing to do on Earth... hunt... if the temperature has only dropped 20 degrees Fahrenheit? Unless, there's some level of discomfort in the colder temperature that prevents them from comfortably doing so, at the very least.
But this can just as easily justify a reading of preferring a hot environment rather than needing it. It shows us what temperatures they're most comfortable in.

As I said before, they're hunts of opportunity. They wait for it to be hot with lots of conflict and then go in and find the best of the best to hunt down because those are the best conditions to find good sport.

But in AvP they're on a specific mission, not opportunistically looking for game.

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly where you're coming from. I just think the on screen evidence allows sufficient room for interpretation.

Master

Master

To be honest,  the Bovotoya hunt wasn't your regular trip. As SiL or Hicks rightly pointed out, it's probably the last such Pyramid on earth and this is probably last such hunt. It was used because all other were destroyed by the time of 2004. Also most of the hunt was conducted underground where conditions weren't as extreme as oustside. Also the heat spike came from inside of the Pyramid was potent enough to be registered be the satellite all through the ice cape. It must have been quite big. The Queen chamber, outside of freezing sarcophagus filled with some unknown cooling agent, was very hot, with visible streams of molten lava. I'd say Pyramid is quite warm inside and good place for hunt.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 08:38:19 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 12, 2021, 08:23:23 PM

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/lost-predator-ship-10.jpg

Combing that knowlege with the Predators only coming to hunt during the hottest times, it always implied to me that they need the heat... otherwise Predators would hunt every year, versus only some years. Because why give up their favorite thing to do on Earth... hunt... if the temperature has only dropped 20 degrees Fahrenheit? Unless, there's some level of discomfort in the colder temperature that prevents them from comfortably doing so, at the very least.
But this can just as easily justify a reading of preferring a hot environment rather than needing it. It shows us what temperatures they're most comfortable in.

Yeah, that's what I was saying, at the very least there must be some level of discomfort in the "colder" hot jungle temperature.

QuoteAs I said before, they're hunts of opportunity. They wait for it to be hot with lots of conflict and then go in and find the best of the best to hunt down because those are the best conditions to find good sport.

This I'll never buy into to be honest. The conditions of war and bloodshed will be equally good or possibly better at 90 degrees Fahrenheit versus 105. But the Predators aren't coming.

QuoteBut in AvP they're on a specific mission, not opportunistically looking for game.

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly where you're coming from. I just think the on screen evidence allows sufficient room for interpretation.

Yeah, definitely, made extremely evident by me currently standing alone on an island with all this.  :laugh:

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 12, 2021, 08:58:02 PM
This I'll never buy into to be honest. The conditions of war and bloodshed will be equally good or possibly better at 90 degrees Fahrenheit versus 105. But the Predators aren't coming.
Because they don't want to hunt in 90 degree temperature. That's what I'm saying. It's not just ideal situation to find the game, it's ideal situations for them for hunting.

I think there's ample proof throughout the movies that Predators, like humans, like stacking the deck in their favour as much as possible when they go on a hunt. Hunting in temperatures they're most comfortable in is part of that. Sure, they could go some other time when it's colder but just as bloody, but they'd be uncomfortable the whole time and their hands would get numb and it's just such a miserable affair.

Search your feelings, VooDoo. You know you disagree, but you also know you can't prove me wrong :P

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Aug 12, 2021, 09:51:10 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 12, 2021, 08:58:02 PM
Because they don't want to hunt in 90 degree temperature. That's what I'm saying. It's not just ideal situation to find the game, it's ideal situations for them for hunting.

I think there's ample proof throughout the movies that Predators, like humans, like stacking the deck in their favour as much as possible when they go on a hunt. Hunting in temperatures they're most comfortable in is part of that. Sure, they could go some other time when it's colder but just as bloody, but they'd be uncomfortable the whole time and their hands would get numb and it's just such a miserable affair.

Search your feelings, VooDoo. You know you disagree, but you also know you can't prove me wrong :P

Nah. We can't prove either wrong in this fictional universe, but I do believe your logic is faulty.

I'm a fan of the American Football team Philadelphia Eagles, so much so I go to outdoor games in September 70-85 °F, all the way to December in 10-35 °F and watch in the freezing cold with 70,000 other sold-out seats.

So if these Predators are a fan of hunting, they would certainly go in the tiny less hotter years (where we would still be sweating like hell in) to hunt. I don't think a little bit warmer stacks the deck for them, unless it really effects them physiologically... hence my point.

Now apply that to Antarctica.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed