Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 316,717 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 01:57:30 PM
Quote from: nanison on Aug 01, 2021, 07:19:48 PM
What about the old gun Glover gets from one of the preds in predator 2, isn't it older then this film or is it from the same time period of the new film? Maybe we will get to see how a predator gets hold of this gun in the upcoming film. Would be a nice reference to predator 2 imo.

So Raphael Adolini's flintlock in Predator 2 was a Spanish gun, dated 1715. The name Raphael was also found/used in Spain. (But Adolini I believe is primarily an Italian name.)

Now in the 1700s, the Comanche in the southern part of America were not fighting colonists from England, but from Spain, so the time periods definitely sync if writer Patrick Aison decided to go there.  :)
OK VM, I know you're a font of Predator knowledge, but where did you get the info that the gun was Spanish?
Raphael is not usually a Spanish name, it's Italian, just like Adolini. In Spain, as far as I know, the spelling is usually Rafael, as is evidenced by various Spanish footballers, and the tennis player Rafael Nadal.
Since guns of this type were found all over Europe, this implies to me that the flintlock is Italian, not Spanish.

With regards to the film, though, Italians aren't known for invading pre-colonial America, so it more than likely has nothing to do with Skulls.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 02, 2021, 03:13:15 PM
where did you get the info that the gun was Spanish?

This Catalonian Flintlock was the replica used in the film (made by Denix.) It's a Spanish pistol.

https://www.iloveswords.com/REV_Flint_Catalonian.html

QuoteRaphael is not usually a Spanish name, it's Italian, just like Adolini. In Spain, as far as I know, the spelling is usually Rafael, as is evidenced by various Spanish footballers, and the tennis player Rafael Nadal.

Yes, I never said Raphael was a Spanish name. I said "Raphael was also found/used in Spain." With any name with origins in Hebrew B.C., names got around by time the 18th century (even if you don't factor in the time of Spanish Italy.)

I'm not saying Raphael with the "ph" was incredibly popular there. It's ranked #536 right now in Spain.

https://charlies-names.com/en/raphael/

But in the context of writer Patrick Aison somewhere making it work, he has some connections to do so. People even argue the Italian Christopher Columbus was originally charged to claim lands for Spain. So you have places to go with it. :)

Master

Master

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 01:57:30 PM
I think some of Predators' lower budget could have been masked or less exposed if it was shot better - I was not impressed at all with the cinematography work - but I agree, as it stands Predators often looks low budget.

Quote from: Clubroot on Aug 01, 2021, 04:58:14 PM
@Master

I feel the same way lol well Dane Diliegro being attached to the project might be the only shimmer of hope for (Bear, Bigfoot, etc)to appear in the film in some form. Unless he is playing someone from the American infantry, but his height is better suited for a creature or a Pred.

As much as I love imagining the encounter above, and the Predator's original intent for coming to Earth being to hunt something bigger than than the Comanche Natives, Dane is roughly the same build and same height as Kyle Strauts, so perhaps it's as simple as they're both sharing Predator costume duties. Or just perhaps, there are two Predators featured in Skulls.

One can dream about the actual plot twist right?

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 04:16:07 PM

This Catalonian Flintlock was the replica used in the film (made by Denix.) It's a Spanish pistol.

QuoteRaphael is not usually a Spanish name, it's Italian, just like Adolini. In Spain, as far as I know, the spelling is usually Rafael, as is evidenced by various Spanish footballers, and the tennis player Rafael Nadal.

Yes, I never said Raphael was a Spanish name. I said "Raphael was also found/used in Spain." With any name with origins in Hebrew B.C., names got around by time the 18th century (even if you don't factor in the time of Spanish Italy.)

I'm not saying Raphael with the "ph" was incredibly popular there. It's ranked #536 right now in Spain.

But in the context of writer Patrick Aison somewhere making it work, he has some connections to do so. People even argue the Italian Christopher Columbus was originally charged to claim lands for Spain. :)

We can easily assume Raphael Adolini was of Italian origin working for Spanish or Pirate from some mixed crew. In my head canon he's form Sicily and great grandfather of one Vito Andolini  ;)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

The "ph" Raphael is even closer to french actually  ;D

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Master on Aug 02, 2021, 04:25:37 PM
We can easily assume Raphael Adolini was of Italian origin working for Spanish or Pirate from some mixed crew. In my head canon he's form Sicily and great grandfather of one Vito Andolini  ;)

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 02, 2021, 04:48:15 PM
The "ph" Raphael is even closer to french actually  ;D

:laugh:

Master

Master

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 05:03:18 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/YeLsS65XBEk7e/giphy.gif

Kradan

Kradan

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 04:16:07 PM

But in the context of writer Patrick Aison somewhere making it work, he has some connections to do so. People even argue the Italian Christopher Columbus was originally charged to claim lands for Spain. :)

Raphael Adolini being an Italian sailor/pirate who picked up the flintlock whilst trading/plundering Spanish ports makes sense to me.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 02, 2021, 06:33:59 PM
Raphael Adolini being an Italian sailor/pirate who picked up the flintlock whilst trading/plundering Spanish ports makes sense to me.

I like that too.

This was all just an exercise in relation to Nanison's hope to tie in Predator 2's flintlock to Skull(s). I think the Spanish lost their rule over much of Italy somewhere before the year 1715, so rather than involving the Comanche and their fights with colonists for Spain, Patrick Aison could have easily writen Italian pirates washing up on America's shores. (I believe a lot of Italian pirates at that time would have been in the service of Spain at one point anyway - to explain the guns.) Anywho... the flintlock AND the Elder Predator being worked in Skull(s) would be pretty wild!  :)

nanison

nanison

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 07:12:32 PM

I like that too.

This was all just an exercise in relation to Nanison's hope to tie in Predator 2's flintlock to Skull(s).

It should be related for continuity's sake! If skulls is the first time a predator hunts on earth and the gun is from an earlier period then we already have a first plot hole months before we have seen the actual film lol

Doomofman

Doomofman

In relation to the whole 'first time predator visited earth' thing. I don't really know how they would get that across on screen without the predator communicating it somehow which I really don't want to see.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: nanison on Aug 02, 2021, 10:28:40 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 02, 2021, 07:12:32 PM

I like that too.

This was all just an exercise in relation to Nanison's hope to tie in Predator 2's flintlock to Skull(s).

It should be related for continuity's sake! If skulls is the first time a predator hunts on earth and the gun is from an earlier period then we already have a first plot hole months before we have seen the actual film lol

:laugh:

Hopefully John "Predator versus Alien" Davis is just confused and he meant the Elder Predator's first hunt.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Wouldn't that be an interesting film trilogy centered around Greyback if Skulls would be his first Hunt on Earth? Then you have 1718 as his second Hunt and then the last Hunt would be during the Korean War. Although I think the events in the comic was short and fine enough to be combined as one film with the Korean War film. Like the Prelude similar to the one in AVP with the Whaling Station during the early 1900s but a much more longer version.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

That would be something!!

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

All I ask is the predator actually survives.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed