Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 22, 2012, 08:37:08 PM

Author
The Reptile Thread (Read 43,693 times)

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

From my zoo.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Come on, little one! Very good--push! Push!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jVaAiCymo#ws

*squee*

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 22, 2012, 08:56:35 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 22, 2012, 08:48:41 PM
I want pictures! Piiiicccttuuurresss.

You got it. ;)
;D

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Apr 22, 2012, 08:55:40 PM
One of my ex bf's drug dealers had a legit baby crocodile. I was like errmmm what you gonna do with it when its 10 feet long and a voracious appetite for anything it can fit into its stomach?
Sick him on rival drug lords, duh. :P

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 22, 2012, 08:58:59 PM

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Apr 22, 2012, 08:55:40 PM
One of my ex bf's drug dealers had a legit baby crocodile. I was like errmmm what you gonna do with it when its 10 feet long and a voracious appetite for anything it can fit into its stomach?
Sick him on rival drug lords, duh. :P

Nah, give it growth hormones and hide it in the sewers for unsuspecting people to find. ;D

Spoiler
10 awesome points for those who get it.
[close]

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Eva on Apr 22, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
Is it true that crocodiles/gators have very weak muscle power when opening their jaws? I think I saw on tv that you could essentially wrap an elastic band or string around their jaws and it wouldn't be able to snap at you.
Yeah, a strong enough rope, or a man, can block a Crocodile's jaws when they are closed. As you rightfully say, the muscles that open the jaws are not that strong. What is the real deal with Crocodiles is the muscles that close their jaws -- they're incredibly powerful. Crocodile jaws are all about holding and crushing.

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 22, 2012, 08:58:59 PM
Come on, little one! Very good--push! Push!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_jVaAiCymo#ws

*squee*
Absolutely lovely.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: coolbreeze on Apr 22, 2012, 08:54:34 PM
Quote from: Eva on Apr 22, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
Is it true that crocodiles/gators have very weak muscle power when opening their jaws? I think I saw on tv that you could essentially wrap an elastic band or string around their jaws and it wouldn't be able to snap at you.

Yes, more or less. All there power comes in closing.

Well, that's a bit reassuring because of them... you know, flying crocodiles  :D

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Cvalda

Cvalda

I love snakes. They may be dumb as dirt and completely lacking in affection or personality, but they are beautiful animals. These are all the snake species I've owned at one time or another:

Eastern Kingsnake

Mud Snake

Ball Python

Rough Green Snake

Copperhead

Black Racer

Eastern Rat Snake

Corn Snake

Eastern Hognose Snake

If the deal with the tegu falls through, I might get a new Eastern King. They're gorgeous. :)

Hudson

Hudson

I'm kind of indifferent honestly. I'd never kill a snake or lizard or turtle on sight like some people, but I don't flip out. I grew up with reptiles. My dad is a herpetologist (not professional) and kept snakes for most of my life. We've got a box turtle (not sure exactly what kind) that's older than me. Had a leopard gecko, some tokei (sp?) geckos which were very angry all the time. A large bearded dragon. I know we had some kind of frog when I was young...I can't remember exactly what kind, something very basic. Also had a "budget's frog," not sure of the spelling of that. It was very large and fat and actually had two large bottom teeth that drew blood on my dad's hand one time.

As far as snakes when I was younger my dad had some california king snakes that I remember, black and white colored. He had some corn snakes, reddish brownish. Some andes mountain milk snakes, one of which was very large. Some prairie king snakes. Some other milk or king snakes which looked like the andes mountains but were colored a little more vibrantly, somewhere between the andes and a coral snake. And I'm sure he had many others that I'm leaving out.

I'm from Illinois, so many of the things I've seen are native to the state. In the wild I've seen countless cotton mouths and copperheads. Countless garter snakes. I've seen some very small snakes too, forget the names. In southern Illinois. I've seen several salamanders also, I think a marbled salamander? It was white and black. Also a yellow/orange one with black spots, forget the name.

So yeah...reptiles really don't phase me at all, but they're a shit ton of work really if you really want to take care of them. Snakes require constant cleaning of their cages. They're always shitting and shedding skin. The food is also kind of a pain too. Feeding them mice. My dad actually bred his own mice and I think purchases frozen "pinkys" as well. Basically, if I saw a snake in the wild and knew it wasn't venomous (except for water snakes cuz they're pretty mean), I'd pick it up and show off to whoever I was with...but I have no desire to keep any reptiles. 

First Blood

First Blood

Snakes are great. Some of my favorites are:

Reticulated Python
King Cobra
Black Mamba
And the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake

Basically ones that can kill you. :laugh:

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 22, 2012, 09:23:19 PM
So yeah...reptiles really don't phase me at all, but they're a shit ton of work really if you really want to take care of them. Snakes require constant cleaning of their cages. They're always shitting and shedding skin. The food is also kind of a pain too. Feeding them mice. My dad actually bred his own mice and I think purchases frozen "pinkys" as well.
If you have lots of snakes, yeah, it can be a pain. But having one or two is fairly easy. Just make sure they're kept warm and cages clean, fresh water, and have some frozen mice in the fridge. Depending on the species, they're usually low maintenance--especially because they prefer to be left alone, anyway. It's just the initial investment in the expensive crap you need to care for them that is off-putting.

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 22, 2012, 09:30:10 PM
Basically ones that can kill you. :laugh:
:D I took care of a clutch of baby copperheads once for a couple weeks. They were very beautiful and very calm. Held a few in my hand once or twice.

Eva

Eva

Snakes? Why'd it have to be snakes...?
Spoiler

Yes, I'm scared of snakes...  :-\
[close]

Hudson

Hudson

Everytime I've seen copperheads they've been pretty docile. Don't really get all that pissed off at being discovered unlike cotton mouths.

When I was maybe 14/15 I asked my dad if I could keep a snake in my room, I forget what kind it was. Even that just didn't seem worth it to me. Something that didn't give a shit if I was around other than if there was a mouse in my hand and I had to clean his shit up a couple times a week.

Just give me a dog.

I actually used to keep a couple scorpions, and talk about low maintenance animals...

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Eva on Apr 22, 2012, 09:37:39 PM
Why? Have you ever seen one in actuality? They're very beautiful, and the vast majority are completely harmless.

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 22, 2012, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: Eva on Apr 22, 2012, 09:37:39 PM
Why? Have you ever seen one in actuality? They're very beautiful, and the vast majority are completely harmless.

Agreed! And they are not slimy like some people seem to think.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 22, 2012, 09:40:00 PM
Even that just didn't seem worth it to me. Something that didn't give a shit if I was around other than if there was a mouse in my hand and I had to clean his shit up a couple times a week.
Sounds like you're talking about a cat. ;D

Yeah, snakes aren't very intelligent or fun--but they're beautiful. Like tropical fish, etc. Except they are something you can actually handle and interact with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed