Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!)

Started by Cvalda, Feb 14, 2012, 10:33:29 AM

Author
Official ALIEN Literature 2012 Reissues List (UPDATED w/ New Details!) (Read 55,035 times)

SM

SM - When the original book was printed, all of the lettering was done on a separate pieces of drafting vellum for each page, as some of the dialogue was to be printed in blue, and it was easier to have the lettering done that way for printing. Well, fast forward 30 years, printing is done somewhat differently and it's easier to have all the artwork setup and finalized going into the print process. So, I had to re-composite the lettering digitally back onto the artwork for the B&W and color editions. Also, the coloring in the original printing ended up being kinda muddy and the blacks were a little washed out in places. We have scanned in all the color artwork fresh and will adjust things so that it will be printed in the manner that was supposed to be originally released back in '79 but for some reason, did not turn out that way.

Ta.  One more question - Can I have your job?

shoveke

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 13, 2012, 04:54:25 AM
Just wanted to express that you and those involved did a beautiful job on the Walter Simonson Thor Omnibus. Well done. :)

First Blood - Thanks so much, glad you liked it. It was truly a one of a kind situation, having access to all (or at least 90%) the original artwork to be able to rescan at high-res and have re-colored by the amazing team Steve Oliff put together.

Quote from: SM on Mar 13, 2012, 05:00:16 AM
Ta.  One more question - Can I have your job?

SM - No.  ;)

SM

RagingDragon

Ask good questions, get good answers.  Thanks a lot!  I'm very excited for this, might have to cash in the old change jar. :laugh:

SM wins the interesting question award.

predxeno

I think I just might get the Artist's Edition.  I'll think further about it. :)

Nostromo70

I doubt if I'll get the Artist's Edition, as £39.99 is a bit steep and I can't justify it, but I'll probably get the 'ordinary' version which is only £7.47, to replace my battered old copy which is about to fall apart. :-[
I like the old cover design with the Nostromo caught in vines or tentacles, although I am not sure where vines or tentacles come in in the story, but the new design with the Alien creature is pretty eye-catching.

predxeno

predxeno

Is it just me or did the price for the Artist's Edition just go up?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien--Illustrated-Story-Original-Edition/dp/1781161305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332106057&sr=1-1

£32.99

EDIT: I was just now going to buy the book for like $37, but there is no way I'm spending $50 on it.  Why does the price for things tend to go up on amazon the longer you wait?

Corporal Hicks

predxeno

predxeno

Well that plan failed; I was going to buy them, but now I can't/won't.

Hudson

Damn, I suddenly don't feel so cool for having the CMTM anymore.  :P

predxeno

SM

These Johnny-come-lately reprints don't have coolness.

Xenomrph

At least we'll have copies that don't have the shitty version of the cover.

Although if the reprint has actual new content I wouldn't mind dealing with the shitty cover.

predxeno

Hudson

I did an email interview with Lee Brimmicombe-Wood a few years back and he said he did some designs and specs for things like the EEV from Alien 3, but then said the files were lost on a computer somewhere.

How cool would it be to get him to find that and put it in this new version? It's not gonna happen, but that'd be the only way I'd consider buying the book again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed