Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,735 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 13, 2015, 08:12:03 AM
Prometheus is not a standalone, it's a spin-off.

Aren't the AvP films also considered a spin-off or something?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2015, 08:32:12 AM
You can get the grace of the Alien slinking out of the vents with a guy in a suit on a wire -- So long as you get the right guy, a good suit, and a good team performing the stunt.
And perform the scene in proper lighting and angles.

Nothing wrong with CG Aliens as long as there's practical to go with it too; it needs to be visually consistent. AvP is a good example of how well practical and digital effects for the Aliens (and the Queen) can blend together very well.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 13, 2015, 04:34:26 AMWho in his sane mind wants a CGI Alien?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a CGI Alien. So long as it's blended well with practical work, I don't see the issue.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2015, 08:32:12 AM
You can get the grace of the Alien slinking out of the vents with a guy in a suit on a wire -- So long as you get the right guy, a good suit, and a good team performing the stunt.

And Blomkamp favours practical over digital where possible.

True enough but I'm thinking back to the difficulty they had in movement in the original suit. I'm sure that creature effects have evolved since then, of course, but considering how gorgeous the CG in all of his previous films are, I'd have no problem with them being used. 

Vrastal

Id be ok with a blend of cg and practical,avp was done really well in that department, inconsistencies, like alien tail length and stuff like that wasnt their fault, they were merely doing their.

I think both can serve equal purpose, some movement shots would be hard and probably wouldnt feel as natural in a suit as it could with  cg. I just dont wantw to start seeing completely cgi scenes and green screens like the hobbit and avatar

JPredator

Dont like the idea of cloning Hicks....why? what for? that would just be a lazy way to incorporate him into the story just for the sake of having Hicks.

Dont like the idea of continuing from ALien 4. The main reason for this is that Alien 4 never seemed like an ALien film to me. It just never fit in with the first 3 so the prospect of continuing that story line doesnt excite me.

Its obvious that NB's pitch involves Ripley and Hicks as the key draw which is the reason why its gaining so much traction. Therefore this would have to be a direct sequel to Aliens.
in my opinion, the only way to make this work (if they have to use these characters) is for this to be a what if story. an alternate Alien 3 showing what could of happend if different choices were made. this would work as it would not negate ALien 3 or ALien4. It would be like a choose your own adventure story. after finishing aliens, do you go on to witness Ripleys heroic act of saving the human race from the aliens or do you go on to find out wether the aliens wipe us out?

T Dog

Just had a brainwave that would allow to bipass retconning and doing an alternative "what if" in a real way.
It might seem nuts at first but here it goes:

What if NB's story follows Ripley 8.
She learns about the Engineers and gets her hands on their technology, let's just say a ship.
She learns that the technology contains the ability to time travel (I know this is sounding fan fictiony, but it's plausible I think, also will link The ENgineers tech more into the "Alien" universe).
She travels back to a point between ALIENS and A3 and intercepts herself, Hicks and Newt - (it's the point where everything got irretrievably out of hand for both her and the franchise? She can save Newt now I suppose!)
This then changes the events leading to A3 so that never happens.
Now the company somehow now intercept and capture the 4 of them!
They take the Queen from original Ripley, return Newt to family on Earth and imprison original Ripley and Hicks (this will account for the aging of both actors).
Time passes - the company set up an ALIEN weapons installation (seen in the concept art).
Older Newt, traumatised by the events of Aliens but also infinitely enraged by the actions of the company is involved in an anti company guerrilla group (hey this keeps with Blomkamp's previous work).
This group rescues original Ripley and Hicks from prison (who have by now aged appropriately)
They try to take down the companies weapon installation.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 13, 2015, 01:45:45 PMtime travel

No no no no no no no no.

Please no time travel. No dreams. No pointless cloning of Hicks. No ACM-style "it was another guy in the tube" bullshit.

Just make a new movie with new people. It's by far the least disruptive and controversial course of action, and also the most creative.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Part of the charm of the Alien films is that its grounded in reality. We don't see the Nostromo going to warp, we don't see the crew teleporting, etc. Everything looks as realistic as possible. Now as much as I'd like to see the Engineer's doing fantastical things...I'm not sure it'd jive. I just dunno.

vikingr

^ that!

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 13, 2015, 01:45:45 PM
Just had a brainwave that would allow to bipass retconning and doing an alternative "what if" in a real way.
It might seem nuts at first but here it goes:

What if NB's story follows Ripley 8.
She learns about the Engineers and gets her hands on their technology, let's just say a ship.
She learns that the technology contains the ability to time travel (I know this is sounding fan fictiony, but it's plausible I think, also will link The ENgineers tech more into the "Alien" universe).
She travels back to a point between ALIENS and A3 and intercepts herself, Hicks and Newt - (it's the point where everything got irretrievably out of hand for both her and the franchise? She can save Newt now I suppose!)
This then changes the events leading to A3 so that never happens.
Now the company somehow now intercept and capture the 4 of them!
They take the Queen from original Ripley, return Newt to family on Earth and imprison original Ripley and Hicks (this will account for the aging of both actors).
Time passes - the company set up an ALIEN weapons installation (seen in the concept art).
Older Newt, traumatised by the events of Aliens but also infinitely enraged by the actions of the company is involved in an anti company guerrilla group (hey this keeps with Blomkamp's previous work).
This group rescues original Ripley and Hicks from prison (who have by now aged appropriately)
They try to take down the companies weapon installation.

If the engineers could time travel and they wanted to get rid of humans, they would have just traveled back to the time the engineer was about to fall apart and be like "Dude, stop. We changed our minds, Humans suck in the future."

Or they could go back before the black goo became a problem.

The problem is, the ability to time travel opens up too many "why didn't they just do this?" scenarios.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Visceral_Mass on Feb 13, 2015, 02:45:27 PM
If the engineers could time travel and they wanted to get rid of humans, they would have just traveled back to the time the engineer was about to fall apart and be like "Dude, stop. We changed our minds, Humans suck in the future."

xD Thank you so much for this. You have given me a right good chuckle.  ;D :D

T Dog

T Dog

True That!
For the record:
I don't actually want them to bring back Hicks. I actually like A3 despite it being flawed. One of the original scripts with Hicks and Bishop leading a rebellion may have given us a more satisfying movie but I'm all for the looking forward and not trying to rewrite the past.
I was just throwing out a possibility on how they might bring him back if they are going in that direction.
Man I'd love another great Alien movie. I'm on team Blomkamp!

marrerom

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 13, 2015, 04:12:21 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Feb 13, 2015, 01:11:58 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 12, 2015, 11:07:51 PM
you must not have played stasis inturupted

I haven't played it but i know all about it.  The way they shoe horned Hicks into that game was contrived and senseless.  It didn't further the plot or serve the story, it was just done for the sake of it.  Just so people could go "ohhh hicks is back, yeah!".  If they could come up with a novel way to reintroduce him to the series that's actually integral to the plot and not a blatant attempt to appeal to butt hurt fanboys I'd be all for it.

Blomkamp loves the metaphor of using an 'IMMIGRANT' as an 'ALIEN' and stressing that feeling of alienation... This makes me think he will certainly go with the Ripley 8 clone. A:R largely ended on that note when Ripley 8 states 'I'm a stranger here myself' she is stating that she has literally become an Alien to her own humanity and from her home 'Earth.'

I am thinking Blomkamp loves that idea.

Considering this^^^  and then taking into account that some time would have passed b/w A:R and Blomkamp's ALIEN: XENO, I can only assume that we will find Ripley as an alienated loner, at complete odds with the human race and possibly in existential crisis.

That said, if I had to guess, I'd  maybe go with Ripley 8 having something to do with Hick's cloning, in an attempt to find some kinship/test her attachment to another human?.. And of course, go all kamikaze and blow up Weyland Yutani headquarters together.

That's a really interesting take on Ripely's character, being the outsider, not being able to enter society anymore and being rejected.  Neil Blompkamp loves to explore themes of inequality and oppression in his films and this concept falls in line with that. I like it.

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 13, 2015, 04:45:00 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 13, 2015, 03:42:29 AM
I think I get what you mean, you're referring to Alien stories that take place in the universe but look at the world at a different angle, right?

What do you mean by looking at it from a different angle?

From a different character's perspective.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed