Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 149,258 times)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

The egg thing was Prometheus fanart by Doug Williams.  Who knew that Neill Blomkamp actually looked at Doug's blog, "pleaselookatmeneillblomkamp"!  :D 

But I agree, the Ripley ALIEN suit comes off to me as lame.  But with Blomkamp's take on science fiction, I would have loved to see this.  If I can accept the existence of the first AVP movie as a totally non-canon, just fun fan wank of a film, I would have at least enjoyed this, though I doubt I would replace Alien 3 with Blomkamp's take on the canon so late after the fact. 

Ultramorph

If that March 2014 date is correct, this lines up well with what James Moore said on the subject; namely, that Fox was interested in Alien 5 and that they were toying with the idea of getting rid of Alien 3, hence living, scarred Hicks.

I wonder if the project is still alive in any capacity with someone else attached?

MrSpaceJockey

If any film gets made I doubt it would resemble the concept art exactly.  Maybe the alien suit would be dropped or change, because honestly I do not like how it looks right now (or how it looked as of March 2014).

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 02, 2015, 07:56:37 PM
If that March 2014 date is correct, this lines up well with what James Moore said on the subject; namely, that Fox was interested in Alien 5 and that they were toying with the idea of getting rid of Alien 3, hence living, scarred Hicks.

Not to mention the whole idea of acid proof armor which was made out of Xenomorphs and the suit being depicted here in the concept art. Coincidence? I don't know.

Still not too keen on them getting rid of Alien 3 and Resurrection though.. Especially Alien 3 since I liked that one.

Local Trouble

Quote from: tmjhur on Jan 02, 2015, 06:33:51 PM
Couldn't they just use the Ripley Clone and say that Hicks was cryogenically frozen?

He was a mutilated corpse.  What good would it do to freeze him?

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 02, 2015, 08:04:45 PM
He was a mutilated corpse.  What good would it do to freeze him?

I just don't understand why you guys don't freeze him.

Gilfryd

Elysium was about as disappointing as Prometheus for me so this can remain a 'what if.'

BlazinBlueReview

Seen these art last night. And have to say that it'd be fantastic to see Blomkamp being able to direct this. Really intrigued to see what would be developed from this. But honestly who knows if we'll get to see this actually come to fruition one day. It'd be sad if we weren't able to. He definitely has some vision for this.

MrSpaceJockey

If there was ever a remake of ALIEN, I'd trust Blomkamp's visual style at the least.

I have a feeling if they got rid of A3 and AR they would pass it off as a bad dream and have her wake up 30 something years later.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: 85 on Jan 02, 2015, 08:24:20 PM
I have a feeling if they got rid of A3 and AR they would pass it off as a bad dream and have her wake up 30 something years later.

Which if you ask me.. is a big and stupid cop-out.

Just like that one whole season in Dallas which turned out to be nothing more than a dream was one major cop out. Or how when the final season of Roseanne turned out to be nothing but Roseanne day dreaming how things could've been different but Dan Connors died from the heart attack was a sour way to end the series..

The whole "Ripley's Nightmare" angle is just a cop out to get fans to stop whining. Thankfully, they didn't get rid of Alien 3 and Resurrection... YET.

Nightmare Asylum

I doubt any official media would ever opt to refer to the other films as a dream/nightmare.

If Alien 3/Resurrection were ever officially retconned by Fox, the film just wouldn't acknowledge them.

Ultramorph

I do hope that the bottom line of all this winds up being confirmation that someone is doing an Alien 5.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 02, 2015, 08:39:04 PM
If Alien 3/Resurrection were ever officially retconned by Fox, the film just wouldn't acknowledge them.

You mean hand waving them away? Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. If a retcon is to be done, then it has to be done properly and right. Otherwise we go in different directions like Godzilla and Halloween.

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 02, 2015, 08:18:06 PM
If there was ever a remake of ALIEN, I'd trust Blomkamp's visual style at the least.

I wouldn't really say ALIEN warrants a remake, but perhaps.. a reboot which has enough differences from the original film. That or create a whole new stand alone and independent continuity.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2015, 08:51:20 PM
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 02, 2015, 08:18:06 PM

I wouldn't really say ALIEN warrants a remake, but perhaps.. a reboot which has enough differences from the original film. That or create a whole new stand alone and independent continuity.

Hell no, it does NOT need a remake.  But the if scenario still exists.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed