Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:08 PM

Author
Alien: River of Pain (Book 3) - Reviews (Read 41,983 times)

Corporal Hicks

So question...

Spoiler
Who forgot about the PDTs? Honestly, please.
[close]

Xenoscream

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 10, 2014, 10:29:41 AM
So question...

Spoiler
Who forgot about the PDTs? Honestly, please.
[close]

Spoiler
All of them apparently, they could have come up with a better explanation, I think Anne even mentions them at some point earlier in the story. One aspect I did like of the story was that if they could have just got a handle on things a bit earlier then they would have been able to contain the Xenos, it seemed it was just their overwhelming number in the end which they were unable to cope with.

Also Anne was thinking my go-to escape plan (get in a crawler and drive away) all the time, should have done it!
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I meant when reading. Who forgot.

Xenoscream

Well not me then :-) Like I say I'm pretty sure there was a reminder right near the beginning.

Perfect-Organism

The first thing that came to my mind when colonists started to disappear was, check the damn PDTs!  It was kind of frustrating that a whole colony didn't clue in until later.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 11, 2014, 06:12:59 AMThe first thing that came to my mind when colonists started to disappear was, check the damn PDTs!  It was kind of frustrating that a whole colony didn't clue in until later.

I guess it would depend on how regularly they have to use them on a day-to-day basis. If they frequently have to locate people by their PDTs, yeah, forgetting about them in this situation is pretty dumb. If they literally never use them and they're just some over-the-top health and safety thing, it's not so far-fetched that everyone forgot about them.

Xenoscream

It's mentioned fairly early on that they are used to track "Wildcatters" who go off and explore. Tbh I can get in the stress of an Alien attack which mainly takes place over 12 hours they could be forgotten, for some time, or at least being able to get to the right place, set up whatever they need etc could be impractical.

If they had used them sooner it wouldn't have made a difference.

Corporal Hicks

It caused a facepalm on my behalf. It was just the blasé way it was handled.

R Lar

Thought about picking this up today because I was looking for a science fiction book to read now that I'm on break from school. Is there some action in this novel? The whole background of LV-426 interest me a lot, and I did read a small section of Newt and her father with the whole

Spoiler
Chestburster exploding out of him
[close]

The three books I had in mind were Halo: Fall of Reach, Star Wars The Old Republic: Revan, and this.  Aliens: No exit seems to have a cool plot.

Ultramorph

Alien: No Exit really becomes a let-down in the final third.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: R Lar on Dec 11, 2014, 11:56:46 PMIs there some action in this novel?

The second half is pretty action packed, but there isn't much prior to this.

Vrastal

I would recommend picking it up, its a decent book , no exit was.. alright if i remember correctly, i read it once years ago and never re read it, its in my collection somewhere. In comparison ive reread earth hive, nightmare assylum and female war loads of times

Ultramorph

My copy finally came in the mail today. I'm looking forward to diving in!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nazrel on Dec 12, 2014, 07:36:07 PM
I would recommend picking it up, its a decent book , no exit was.. alright if i remember correctly, i read it once years ago and never re read it, its in my collection somewhere. In comparison ive reread earth hive, nightmare assylum and female war loads of times

No Exit started really well. It was this story of a psychologically damaged detective hunting down Aliens. It started so well and was really interesting but then the second half descended into an over-blown Aliens-esque book in which a dude beats up an Alien. Really disappointed me.

Anyway! I've just uploaded my own review of the book onto the website.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/alien-river-of-pain/

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2014, 07:49:39 PM
a dude beats up an Alien.

As in.. hand to hand or.. with a blunt weapon?  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed