Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 547,913 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 27, 2022, 10:52:09 AMGiger might've not been happy with the end result but honestly out of the four originals Resurrection is the one I associate the most with word "psychosexual"
you kidding, the entire movie is about sexuality, sexual identity, and sexual liberation, all told through jeunet's lens of abstraction. It's an incredible movie, with the only 'fault' - if we can call it that - that its style is different from the other ones. Where Alien whispers, Resurrection yells. So depending on your point of view and interpretation you may or may not feel comfortable with it being a part of the series, or a movie in its own right, or a Jeunet opus.

Most certainly, the opening scene of the EE tells you right away that this movie has a certain personality to it, and you may or may not hear what it has to say - but there's LOTS of things it says!

I like to see it as a 'what if movie', as in, 'what if the Alien IP was done with this kind of sensibility and style', so I tend to see it detached from Alien and Aliens, but god do I f**king love Resurrection

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 27, 2022, 10:52:09 AMGiger might've not been happy with the end result but honestly out of the four originals Resurrection is the one I associate the most with word "psychosexual"
Oh I think it's the most overt definitely. But I can't disagree with him on the Alien designs.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 27, 2022, 08:20:45 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2022, 05:00:04 AMResurrection has more replay value
Easily

mmm yes gimme some of that queer-coded psychosexuality and Jeunet surrealism
It is the one me and CB always talk about having on in the background while we do stuff together. It and Prometheus actually.

But when it comes to inspiration, it's Alien³ and Alien Covenant, Alien and then Aliens that I gravitate towards in that particular order. But I always save the first three for special occasions.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

The last time I saw Alien 3 and Resurrection was in 2007. To be honest I never thought much of either film, but all this discussion is making me think I should give them another go.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 27, 2022, 11:50:07 AMThe last time I saw Alien 3 and Resurrection was in 2007. To be honest I never thought much of either film, but all this discussion is making me think I should give them another go.
once you get that it's ALL about sex (and so the tone is that of a Heavy Metal or Weird Sex comic) and that the main characters are queers going against stereotypical corp / military guys, with the sex monster in the middle, the movie comes to life. It's pure and unedulcorated cyberpunk surrealism

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 27, 2022, 11:37:41 AM
you kidding, the entire movie is about sexuality, sexual identity, and sexual liberation, all told through jeunet's lens of abstraction. It's an incredible movie, with the only 'fault' - if we can call it that - that its style is different from the other ones. Where Alien whispers, Resurrection yells. So depending on your point of view and interpretation you may or may not feel comfortable with it being a part of the series, or a movie in its own right, or a Jeunet opus.

Most certainly, the opening scene of the EE tells you right away that this movie has a certain personality to it, and you may or may not hear what it has to say - but there's LOTS of things it says!

I like to see it as a 'what if movie', as in, 'what if the Alien IP was done with this kind of sensibility and style', so I tend to see it detached from Alien and Aliens, but god do I f**king love Resurrection

I mean, WOW, good for you, glad you enjoyed it so much ! IMHO movie could've done with a less comedic tone, less Whedon and mote Jeunet if you know what I'm talking about

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 27, 2022, 11:40:28 AM
Oh I think it's the most overt definitely. But I can't disagree with him on the Alien designs.

Yes, "overt", that's the word I was looking for

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 27, 2022, 06:51:24 AM:'(  :'(  :'(

I love every moment of that forty five minutes (even the opening that's mostly detrimental), especially some of the Assembly Cut, I just find spending time in the atmosphere of the film infinitely entertaining that's why the beach stuff I adore so much.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/e8e181c1607459a05878953d7a3ee4a3/tumblr_nkh4w8mjG61qd479ro1_r1_640.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/0aecef64b44642610be314cba3b20393/tumblr_nk3sii8GTn1qd479ro2_500.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/d288584e10322fad987cd57981236935/tumblr_nk3sii8GTn1qd479ro1_500.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/7d01225ba7896d0e57782e4ad0f7209a/tumblr_nxb57hHMoF1qd479ro1_640.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/9acb84ad763e77d3753f7f815685bc36/tumblr_nqepofIW321s5dlrdo1_1280.jpg

Honestly I could watch this part alone for hours on end myself, it's probably one of the main reasons I like Alien™ as much as I do and, why I gravitate towards the films I do.

But if I sit down and watch it, best be the version with this stuff tbh.

This intro always fascinated me. It almost feels like I'm watching a Tarkovski movie.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 27, 2022, 12:13:25 PMI mean, WOW, good for you, glad you enjoyed it so much ! IMHO movie could've done with a less comedic tone, less Whedon and mote Jeunet if you know what I'm talking about
I do know and I used to clash with that too. It's up to taste. When I see it I think pulp comics (Heavy Metal, 2000 AD and the likes) and the movie is speaking with that same language. I think it's what is 'off' with it for a lot of people and it's totally fine not to be fine with it because it cranks things up

and the Alien stuff, all the designs and effects, is part of this in its entirety. It is no case that the Resurrection Aliens resonated with the comic books and Anderson's AvP

there ARE ways to make it fit with the other movies, but they're not necessarily ways that other people can or should agree with

judge death

judge death

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 27, 2022, 06:51:24 AMI just find spending time in the atmosphere of the film infinitely entertaining that's why the beach stuff I adore so much.
Agree, something I love with the beach scene and also the slow intro of Alien of nostromo and partly Aliens is the moody atmosphere, maybe scary to some but I would enjoy just be there.
BTW: something cool I found in alien3 to game boy is that you can walk on the beach and see a lot from the ebach scene plus the EEV on the beach, this was back in 1992 so seems the GB developer had inside photos/videos of the beach scenes we fans only first saw in 2003 with the release of the assembly cut. :D

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 27, 2022, 11:40:28 AMIt is the one me and CB always talk about having on in the background while we do stuff together. It and Prometheus actually.

But when it comes to inspiration, it's Alien³ and Alien Covenant, Alien and then Aliens that I gravitate towards in that particular order. But I always save the first three for special occasions.
Interesting choice to have alien resurrection running in the background, myself dread that movie so much especielly at the end that it would just irritate me. xD But nothing wrong and fun others enjoy it. Hmm what have I missed, you two do streams together or job or art work together? Can pm me if that is better, or can ignore this part, just curious.

The list there does sound nice, Covenant is a good movie and I almost place it as high as the other movies in the original trilogy. :)

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 27, 2022, 11:37:41 AMyou kidding, the entire movie is about sexuality, sexual identity, and sexual liberation, all told through jeunet's lens of abstraction. It's an incredible movie, with the only 'fault' - if we can call it that - that its style is different from the other ones. Where Alien whispers, Resurrection yells. So depending on your point of view and interpretation you may or may not feel comfortable with it being a part of the series, or a movie in its own right, or a Jeunet opus.
Would love to hear your explanation of the movie is all about sexuality? Find some between charachters, especielly between ripley and call, and johner doing sexual jokes and harrasment but not full movie. But can agree fully on the comic book atmosphere, it fit nicely with 2000AD and some european unique comics style, especielly the bizare designs and atmosphere and the dark comedy and all dark irony put into the movie.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: judge death on Jun 27, 2022, 10:18:10 PMWould love to hear your explanation of the movie is all about sexuality?
ripley and call are lesbian-coded

ripley is bonded with the aliens - the sex monsters - and the viper pit scene where she sinks into the alien world - the weird sex world - speaks by itself (weaver herself wanted to "have sex with an alien onscreen" and... they did just that, only it's the visual side of it and isn't necessarily literal)

the betty crew is all extravagant and queer-coded (except for maybe Elgyn who spews macho stuff and is the first to go), the bad guys are soulless scientists and military ops and in particular gediman is curious about pervert sexuality gets abducted into it and gets hellraisered

call's conversation with Ripley (see: the EE) in the chapel is ALL about sexual identity and struggle with it, ripley defends call whenever hate speech towards her is involved (a queer standing up for another queer)

so on and so forth

judge death

judge death

Ah thank you, yeah some of that I knew but some of it was new to me, well spotted. :)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jun 27, 2022, 10:37:19 PM
Quote from: judge death on Jun 27, 2022, 10:18:10 PMWould love to hear your explanation of the movie is all about sexuality?
ripley and call are lesbian-coded

ripley is bonded with the aliens - the sex monsters - and the viper pit scene where she sinks into the alien world - the weird sex world - speaks by itself (weaver herself wanted to "have sex with an alien onscreen" and... they did just that, only it's the visual side of it and isn't necessarily literal)

the betty crew is all extravagant and queer-coded (except for maybe Elgyn who spews macho stuff and is the first to go), the bad guys are soulless scientists and military ops and in particular gediman is curious about pervert sexuality gets abducted into it and gets hellraisered

call's conversation with Ripley (see: the EE) in the chapel is ALL about sexual identity and struggle with it, ripley defends call whenever hate speech towards her is involved (a queer standing up for another queer)

so on and so forth

Gediman wanting to make out with an alien is also something  :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: judge death on Jun 27, 2022, 10:18:10 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 27, 2022, 11:40:28 AMIt is the one me and CB always talk about having on in the background while we do stuff together. It and Prometheus actually.

Interesting choice to have alien resurrection running in the background, myself dread that movie so much especielly at the end that it would just irritate me. xD But nothing wrong and fun others enjoy it. Hmm what have I missed, you two do streams together or job or art work together? Can pm me if that is better, or can ignore this part, just curious.

The list there does sound nice, Covenant is a good movie and I almost place it as high as the other movies in the original trilogy. :)

We'd love to do more art together but usually just casually's what I mean, being that we're in a relationship, and we both just find Alien Resurrection comfortable white noise.

Also just when you think you know everything.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Not that some shitposty stream is out of the question once I escape this developing-nation-tier tech infrastructure.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Introduced someone to Alien³ via the Special Edition earlier tonight, apart from the compositing, she had no complaints and it is now her favourite of the three films. Loved it. Absolutely glowing with praise.

SiL

SiL

The last time I tried to introduce people to the film they said it was boring then asked if the Alien was humping the prisoner in the tunnels.

Suffice to say I don't try to introduce people to the films personally these days.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed