The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 232,040 times)

Corporal Hicks

QuoteThe Rage War is done... Alien v Predator: Armageddon is edited and delivered. It hits the shelves in September.

Tim on Facebook.

j0w

Now the agonising wait intensifies

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

EJA

Quote from: SM on May 22, 2016, 10:31:11 AM
There won't be any major Prometheus stuff while they're in the middle of making a movie.  All the Engineer activity has been confined to LV-223.

Hasn't Life and Death had at least one Engineer turning up on another planet?

Not sure I can really accept these novels as "true", considering they spin out of the previous trilogy from Titan, which I've heard got a lot of details from the original movies wrong.

SM

When I posted that, the final issue of Predator L&D hadn't been published, so I couldn't go spoiling stuff.

The comics aren't linked to the Titan novels (besides some links between River of Pain and Aliens: Fire & Stone).  They largely take place in 2219-2220, which is decades after two books and centuries before the third.

EJA

I understand the Rage War saga takes place in the late 27th century, a little over three hundred years since A: R. But how has technology progressed in those centuries? I know Weyland-Yutani and the Colonial Marines are still around, but how different are they from Aliens?

Ultramorph

Technology has advanced considerably, especially in terms of travelling long distances through space.
Spoiler
We now have what are called drop-holes, which are basically artificial wormholes that allow us to travel great distances, but even with those, we've only been able to explore a small fraction of the galaxy. FTL has also advanced quite a bit, but has serious limits because it requires a rare ore called trimonite. The Marines also have advanced combat suits with integrated weapons (plasma weapons, nano-bomb guns, lasers, personal drones, etc.) And that's to say nothing of the Rage, the villains in the books...
[close]

EJA

What about the technology in Sea of Sorrows which, as I understand it, occurs in the 2490s, about two hundred years before the Rage Wars? Any significant advancements by that time?

Corporal Hicks

I remember mention of plasma rifles - the power of a sun in a rifle. I know they were mentioned in Aliens so perhaps not quite an advancement.

EJA

What's the status of androids in the new books? If I remember correctly, by the time of Resurrection there weren't many of them and they were distrusted and persecuted by humans. Has that changed at all?

HuDaFuK

Well Rollins was an android in Sea of Sorrows. The book never outright states as much but I suspected as much and the author confirmed it for me.

Ultramorph

Quote from: EJA on Jun 30, 2016, 03:49:02 PM
What's the status of androids in the new books? If I remember correctly, by the time of Resurrection there weren't many of them and they were distrusted and persecuted by humans. Has that changed at all?

Sea of Sorrows and the Weyland-Yutani report establish that androids get citizenship rights in the 24th century, but after Weyland-Yutani comes back into prominence, that gets overturned.

j0w

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 30, 2016, 02:28:02 PM
I remember mention of plasma rifles - the power of a sun in a rifle. I know they were mentioned in Aliens so perhaps not quite an advancement.
Also those rifles could pack a punch as the book eventually showed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Corporal Hicks

Not much can withstand a blast of sun!

EJA

Is there anything about encounters humanity has with xenos and Preds in the centuries between Sea of Sorrows and Rage War?

Ultramorph

Quote from: EJA on Jun 30, 2016, 07:03:33 PM
Is there anything about encounters humanity has with xenos and Preds in the centuries between Sea of Sorrows and Rage War?

The Rage War books go into that.
Spoiler
They basically establish that sometime after Sea of Sorrows, encounters between the Marines and Predators become increasingly common as humans expand their reach. By the 27th century, the Predators are common knowledge, and WY/Marines consdier themselves to be in a sort of Cold War with them. That being said, the Preds are still basically a mystery to humans, since only one has ever been taken alive and it killed itself.

As far as the xenos, those too are common knowledge by the time Rage War rolls around. One of the Marines in Predator: Incursion recognizes them just by the sounds they make, and there are references to some of them knowing guys who got maimed fighting xenos. That being said, W-Y has still yet to successfully weaponize them, and before the Rage rekindles their interest, it seems they had largely given up trying.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed