The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 232,046 times)

Perfect-Organism

I've got two chapters to go on incursion.  It actually picked up quite a bit towards the end, with some pretty good action and build-up payoff.  Looks like I'll be ready just in time for the Alien story.

I do wish the character development was a bit deeper here and there.  The characters blend into each other and are difficult to remember which is which.  They just need to have some specific details and traits that make them distinguishable.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 19, 2016, 07:11:02 PMHappy reading, Mistah Fuk.

;D I'm sure I'll enjoy them when I get round to them.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 19, 2016, 07:20:25 PM
I've got two chapters to go on incursion.  It actually picked up quite a bit towards the end, with some pretty good action and build-up payoff.  Looks like I'll be ready just in time for the Alien story.

I do wish the character development was a bit deeper here and there.  The characters blend into each other and are difficult to remember which is which.  They just need to have some specific details and traits that make them distinguishable.

I'm glad you gave this another shot.

To be honest, I have this habit with some books as well. I start them, the story feels like it's going for a slow ride and I get bored. But then I give it a shot months later and find myself unable to stop.

I see what you mean about characters blending in too much so it's hard to tell. I haven't had that problem, but I did miss out on the dates. The book sometimes jumps back and forth like it will be on September and then go back to August and then September again. I tended to not notice until this reviewer pointed it out and I was like "oh, it actually does that!"  :laugh:

I'll be paying attention to the dates this time round.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 19, 2016, 08:24:24 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 19, 2016, 07:20:25 PM

I'm glad you gave this another shot.

To be honest, I have this habit with some books as well. I start them, the story feels like it's going for a slow ride and I get bored. But then I give it a shot months later and find myself unable to stop.

I see what you mean about characters blending in too much so it's hard to tell. I haven't had that problem, but I did miss out on the dates. The book sometimes jumps back and forth like it will be on September and then go back to August and then September again. I tended to not notice until this reviewer pointed it out and I was like "oh, it actually does that!"  :laugh:

I'll be paying attention to the dates this time round.

I'm envisioning this book as a comic book or as an audio drama and I can't help thinking it would be pretty good.  It's because I am curious about the overall arc of the Prometheus / Alien storyline that I kept reading this.  It may be that since I am a comic book guy, I like an extra visual to go along with a book.  And I'm not talking about an illustrated story, but I liked the map at the beginning of Lord of the Rings.  I like the maps of Arrakis in the  Dune books, I liked the blueprint in Orson Scott Card's "The Abyss" novelization, and I enjoyed the maps of Mars in Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars series.  I wish there was some sort of visual material that came with Incursion.  It could be a simplified star map, or something, but it would be great to have something that grounds the reader in that world.  The overall premise is not so bad.  I'm fairly  happy with how the book picked up towards the end.

The Alien Predator

I agree, I would really love to see some visuals like a star map. Even the cover, if it reflected a scene from the book, even just showing the Marine's 27th century futuristic space ship going towards the Predator habitat. It'd be good to see. Or just a group of the marines in their futuristic nanosuit style armour.

Heck, just a trophy wall would do.  :laugh:

I like that the book leaves a lot to us to imagine. But I would like to see, like you, how it's "meant" to look.

Perfect-Organism

That's why I think it would adapt into a comic book really well.  Or a TV series for that matter.

The Alien Predator

Same here, I'd love to read this as a comic.

Ultramorph

Over on Titan's website they have a short interview with Lebbon. He doesn't reveal anything, but it's a good read.

http://titanbooks.com/blog/celebrate-alien-day/

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Finally the week has started.... tomorrow couldn't get here any quicker!!!

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 21, 2016, 04:18:11 PM
Over on Titan's website they have a short interview with Lebbon. He doesn't reveal anything, but it's a good read.

http://titanbooks.com/blog/celebrate-alien-day/

So
Spoiler
all three books may be set in 2692 according to Tim, if I read one of his responses correctly
[close]
?

Perfect-Organism

I just finally finished reading Incursion a few days ago.  While I can only recall maybe 2 or 3 characters, from the book, I think it did pick up quite a bit towards the end.  The characters are not memorable, but I've said that before.  It's the integration of the Predators into the human reality that I found interesting.  I could almost live with an AVP reality like this if it were set in the far future.  The world-building was quite good, and perhaps because of this, character development suffered, but this could be rectified in the next book.  Then again, most of the characters from the first book didn't survive so we shall see.  Bottom line, it would make a great comic-book, and also a great premise for a TV show along the lines of a dark Star Trek.  But it is such a visual story telling that without actual visuals, it falls a little flat.  This story is not beyond salvage.  Take it to a more visual medium and it could all change.

2.8 / 5 stars

Corporal Hicks

Hoping my review copy arrives today and I can get dug in.

Here's a new podcast with Tim Lebbon - I've not listened to it yet so don't know what he talks about.

https://thegeekspeakshow.com/2016/04/24/7-24-alien-day-426-a-few-days-early/

QuoteThe Geek Speak Show kicks off the #AlienDay426 celebration with an Alien-themed episode! First, Henry, Helen, and Brenden give out the details on how you can watch Captain America: Civil War on Free Comic Book Day at the Free Comic Book Day Thank You screening for Geek Speak listeners. Then, Famous Monsters of Filmland Magazine's Executive Editor, David Weiner, calls in to start the Alien Day episode. That's followed by a chat with writer Tim Lebbon, who's new book, Rage War Book 2: Alien Invasion, will be released on Alien Day 426.

Ultramorph

Hopefully my copy comes tomorrow for Aliens Day! I can't believe is been six months already since the first book.

Also, not really related, but I've been reading the 90s Guardians of the Galaxy, and in the first issue they land on a planet of humanoid canines, AND Starhawk is said to be an Arcturian. It's like the Titan books 20 years early!  ;D

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 25, 2016, 04:40:22 PM
Hopefully my copy comes tomorrow for Aliens Day! I can't believe is been six months already since the first book.
I got a notification from Amazon.com that my copy shipped today, it should show up tomorrow.

Ultramorph

Got my shipping confirmation, too!  ;D

The Alien Predator

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed