Season Pass/ DLC speculations

Started by acrediblesource, Jul 26, 2021, 12:23:52 AM

Author
Season Pass/ DLC speculations (Read 1,541 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Now its  time to talk about what type of paid DLCs we are looking at for this game.
I don't believe for one second that all they have planned for is equavalent to the pre-order bonus every 3 months. They can't expect people to wait three months for a bandana or a decal to drop, that I  of which i expect to be free.

Who here is confident or have heard or seen evidence that we are looking at maps dropping instead? and that these maps are paid dlc only? and how early do you think we will get news about this?  We are able to pre-order this stuff right away, would it not be prudent for them to give us some details?!
Judging how other games put out 'season' passes,I think we are more likely to see this game content in the form of maps and missions for these drops. Anyone else want to chime in?

Hemi

Hemi

Not sure these days it's smart to lock out maps for DLC. Is this still done? The game has a horde mode wich prob has smaller maps, and those can be themed more easy comparred to a campaign map. Would be nice to have a good selection of those.

Playing as your fav movie character isn't out of the question for DLC and has history with the Alien games. Movie themed DLC always sells big time. Horde mode maps of "Opreations" or "Atmosphere processor" would be a no-brainer... and would sell like hotcakes.

Cold Iron doesn't have any other titles to it's name, so it's a bit of a guessing game atm. They have plenty of job-openings that look related to the game, maybe thats a good sign? Or not lol.

Corporal Hicks

The terminology Season Pass makes me think it'll be more campaigns - which I really hope is the case. The whole premise of the Endeavour makes sense for them to travel to other locations, cleaning up messes.

BlueMarsalis79

More locations, more antagonists, one can hope anyway.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

In this video by Legacy Gaming

He explains that any DLCs will be purely cosmetic....'any' as in all season pass content?
Last i checked the term season pass couples each of the seasons DLCs together  in 4 releases(lest it not be called a season).
So if he is saying there are 5 tiny DLCs each season costing 2$ each my hearts breaking. Because its either every DLC will be an awesome cosmetic, or they are all shit with one really nice bandana. Cus for 2 bucks , thats probably what will happen. But we don't know how many there are, unless its one per season if it were a map.

Just to add, he also stated the team is planning additional 'free' content. To put it into perspective from the PHG pov, we never had to pay for maps because they had always dropped for free. However there were highly respected DLCs based off of franchise components and we had to pay for those.

Kailem

Kailem

Well the text in the AVPG news post about the name change and initial pre-order details says this, which I assume is from the press release:

Quote"The Endeavor Pass will contain four cosmetic DLC bundles — including class kit skins, weapon colors, head accessories and more — that will be released alongside free major gameplay updates! The Endeavor Veteran Pack will contain over 20 cosmetic items, including armor kit skins, emotes, weapon colors and decals. The Endeavor Pass and Endeavor Veteran Pack will also be available for purchase separately. "

So yeah, it sounds like all the paid season pass DLC will be cosmetic, and that we'll hopefully be getting the more substantial stuff (new maps, weapons, enemies etc.) for free at various points during these "seasons."

I could maybe see them doing paid movie-themed maps for the horde mode only, but by and large the practice of charging for map packs is dead these days. "Player retention" is apparently a big metric that many games' success is judged by, and paid maps only serve to split the player base and lead to its quicker decline. So yeah hopefully we will see some new maps, but I highly doubt we'll be paying for them.

This tweet basically saying that all the season pass cosmetics will essentially be "paid early access" is actually making me consider just getting the regular edition and the Veteran Pack, since it seems like everything else is going to be available for free likely two or three months later (like the new weapons in each Predator: Hunting Grounds DLC).

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Thanks for responding.  From my perspective, the term cosmetic needs to be verified as to what that is.
A cosmetic could be a shader or  a hat. and if they are saying that the season pass is 20 different hats in 20 different colors, my eyes are going to roll. 40 Extra dollars for a tint, tatoo, hair colour is a bit extremely reduntant.
They will HAVE to clarify something as to particulars of the DLCs for the so called Season Pass (especially this early).
I could buy it right now, but i could just as easily have as much value NOT buying it. I don't mean to be picky, but the elusiveness of their marketing campaign could use a little work.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jul 26, 2021, 06:42:38 PM
Thanks for responding.  From my perspective, the term cosmetic needs to be verified as to what that is.
A cosmetic could be a shader or  a hat. and if they are saying that the season pass is 20 different hats in 20 different colors, my eyes are going to roll. 40 Extra dollars for a tint, tatoo, hair colour is a bit extremely reduntant.
They will HAVE to clarify something as to particulars of the DLCs for the so called Season Pass (especially this early).
I could buy it right now, but i could just as easily have as much value NOT buying it. I don't mean to be picky, but the elusiveness of their marketing campaign could use a little work.

I don't know how much clearer it could be than the statement already provided, namely:

Quote"The Endeavor Pass will contain four cosmetic DLC bundles — including class kit skins, weapon colors, head accessories and more — that will be released alongside free major gameplay updates! The Endeavor Veteran Pack will contain over 20 cosmetic items, including armor kit skins, emotes, weapon colors and decals."

Ergo, it isn't going to be new maps, weapons, abilities, or anything else that would be classified as "gameplay elements". The table Hicks posted also shows modifier cards, which otherwise seem to be part of a random drop system, like the field crates in P:HG. Could be XP or drop-rate boosts as well. Who knows, the cosmetics might even apply to the enemies, allowing you to alter their appearance after you've finished the main campaign, perhaps.

If we look at the "seasons" featured in other games, they tend to be themed around something, so I'm inclined to think A:FE will be the same. Maybe each one is going to include a set of player skins and other cosmetics that all relate to a different entry in the franchise, like a Prometheus/Covenant pack, an Alien pack, an Aliens pack, etc.

Whatever the case, I think it's smart not to put additional maps behind a DLC paywall, as it inevitably leads to a fractured player base, which in turn can shorten the lifespan of the game. Some of the best multiplayer maps in AVP2010 were in the DLC packs, but I never really got a chance to play them because so few other people had them at the time.

Hemi

Hemi

QuoteWhatever the case, I think it's smart not to put additional maps behind a DLC paywall, as it inevitably leads to a fractured player base, which in turn can shorten the lifespan of the game. Some of the best multiplayer maps in AVP2010 were in the DLC packs, but I never really got a chance to play them because so few other people had them at the time.

Bleh, I remember that... that was such a shame.  :'(

acrediblesource

That actually makes sense. You can't play the map if you dont have it. :\
Well, i guess I can hope for exclusive film based skins.

Quote from: Hemi on Jul 29, 2021, 09:22:26 AM
QuoteWhatever the case, I think it's smart not to put additional maps behind a DLC paywall, as it inevitably leads to a fractured player base, which in turn can shorten the lifespan of the game. Some of the best multiplayer maps in AVP2010 were in the DLC packs, but I never really got a chance to play them because so few other people had them at the time.

Bleh, I remember that... that was such a shame.  :'(

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jul 29, 2021, 02:36:31 PM
That actually makes sense. You can't play the map if you dont have it. :\
Well, i guess I can hope for exclusive film based skins.

You are choking your own game to death that way. Specially if the playerbase is small(ish). Opening it up is they only way of keeping the fans and new players engaged without having to pull out the wallet every time. AVP2010 is a good example on how things went south were gaming communities were unable to play the new maps because some people didn't have the money to buy them.

If you are a lone wolf then you wont have this problem of course, at least in the beginning. But larger communties will not benefit from this and bail on the game early on. Thus leaving massive holes in your playerbase just because you put up the paywall for maps. After that the lone wolves will probably have a really hard time finding games for the newer maps...and slowly your game....dies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed