Predator: Hunting Grounds Is Released Today!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 24, 2020, 09:33:46 AM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Is Released Today! (Read 12,499 times)

Xiggz456

Just picked up a physical copy! Looking forward to giving it a go!!!

SteveC484

SteveC484

HUGE Predator Tip: Use the R1 leap to move around stalking soldiers, not running or predkour. It makes less noise and is hard to aim at. Also seems to confuse the soldiers when going in and out of cloak leaping. I've won my last 9/10 as Pred doing this.

bendinglight

Quote from: SteveC484 on Apr 26, 2020, 02:40:38 AM
HUGE Predator Tip: Use the R1 leap to move around stalking soldiers, not running or predkour. It makes less noise and is hard to aim at. Also seems to confuse the soldiers when going in and out of cloak leaping. I've won my last 9/10 as Pred doing this.

Thanks for the tip!

Galactus123

Quote from: SteveC484 on Apr 24, 2020, 11:55:44 PM
Anyone else sometimes have a hard times finding the fire team as Pred? Once and a while I just can't find them for 2/3rds of the match. Not sure if I'm getting turned around traveling or what. As fire team sometimes I go the whole match without seeing the Pred. Think they need to add something in so it's easier to track. It benefits both sides because who as the fire team really want to play without Pred interaction?

I did have trouble during the trial but I have been able to find them now. Just use the heat vision and move around. Also look around with the camera. Sooner or later someone will shoot and you see it.

Perfect-Organism

Is this strictly only for PS4?  Will there be other platforms in the future?

Corporal Hicks

It's also on the PC. Unlikely to go to another console, Sony funded it.

Kailem

Kailem

Yeah the R1 leap is honestly probably better than the predkour at this point. The cloak isn't good enough to actually do its job and as soon as the fire team hears the Predator nearby the first thing they do is look to the trees, so you end up getting spotted way too easily. More and more I'm finding it a better idea to just stay on the ground, since at least then you can hide behind stuff so the bad cloak isn't so much of an issue.

I also unlocked the Berserker, the combistick and the motion sensors last night, and man is that a great combination though! Just as with the trial the combistick is unquestionably the best melee weapon, taking about 4 hits to down people as opposed to 6 or more, and with more range than any of the others too. Plus you can throw it to either down or massively injure a player, so unless and until they buff the others once you unlock that there's no reason to use anything else.

The Berserker itself is obviously great because he can survive long enough when running in to make a claim to not immediately go into second wind or even have the majority of his health taken off if you play it right. You can still get shredded if everyone is firing on you, but he at least doesn't feel as squishy as the Hunter.

He has his downsides in that he's noticeably slower than anyone else, but even his lack of energy reserves isn't a huge problem since you should be focusing mostly on melee with him anyway. Me, Hicks, Ridgetop and Voodoo got smoked by two or three Berserkers in a row last night, so now that it's getting to the point where people are starting to unlock him I'd definitely expect to see a lot more people just running in for a four-man melee spam, unfortunately.

And the motion sensors are great for keeping track of the fire team and essentially acting as a replacement for needing to go up in the trees and scan them with your thermal vision to keep track of them. Once you've found which compound they're at, throw two or three sensors out and they'll send out blue pulse bubbles that have very good range and mark any fire team member who steps into them with a big red "kill" icon, allowing you to keep track of their movements much more easily.

Combine those with bear traps and you can much more easily tell when people have been caught in them and take advantage of that.

It's sad that it feels like you have to grind halfway through the progression until you unlock the one loadout that feels viable, but now that I do have it I can't see myself often using much else until they improve either the damage of the elder sword and war axe or make the cloak better and less visible (see the Wraith from Dead by Daylight if you want a perfect example of a movie-accurate Predator cloak in a video game) so that alternative options are just as good.

dave1978

I played the beta on PS4 and had some fun with it but one thing i need to know before buying is if they improved the PS4 graphics as in the beta they really were toilet.

Galactus123

Galactus123

I have liked playing as the Predator but he feels a bit underpowered if the Fireteam stays together. I have become a bit better but I haven't won a match yet as Predator. Maybe I just need to play more. Queue time for Predator has been around 5 minutes today. It takes just 30 seconds for Fireteam. I have the PS4 version.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 26, 2020, 02:32:29 PM
It's sad that it feels like you have to grind halfway through the progression until you unlock the one loadout that feels viable, but now that I do have it I can't see myself often using much else until they improve either the damage of the elder sword and war axe or make the cloak better and less visible (see the Wraith from Dead by Daylight if you want a perfect example of a movie-accurate Predator cloak in a video game) so that alternative options are just as good.

The cloak works super great but you need to know the following:
-Be Close to a wall so the light warp don't over exceed (bend and produce a very visible outline)
-Don't move (it'll slowly fade the predator to the player view).

Best it to be crouched because it combine both aspect (stillness and closeness to the ground).
I had many games where I was literally in the middle of the squad and they couldn't see me for a full minute playing the objective.
If you have a berzerker and initiate the first strike and they're all grouped, it's an easy win
(Plus you may get them scared on the mic because no one saw anything coming until it happened right in the middle of them thinking they were safe).

The worse case for the cloak is:
-Moving (your cloak is at maximum opacity)
-Standing (you cover much bigger area and are more likely to be spotted).
-In the trees because what's behind you visually is probably 100 meters away awfully bending the light warp behind.

I think the problem is more related to the "spot" ability.
I can spam the spot key in a direction of a tree where the predator sound came from and eventually, just by randomly pressing, I can spot the Predator and this become an absolute nightmare for the player.
I think this mechanic should go. You shouldn't be able to have the Predator outlined in Red (and especially through wall) once spotted.
Also be careful of the skins you use. I've seen countless people use Red Mark for the Predator. They look cool but, are so easy to spot.
I have done game where the cloak ability wasn't really necessary because I could blend with the foliage around me and I am very hard to spot even when uncloaked.

I think overall the cloak looks just like the movie (with this layers of lines, beautiful! Just like in the original first two movies that no other movie ever nailed after) but what needs to be tweak is the mechanic around the spotting ability.
I'm also enclined to have the Predator remain cloaked while using melee but uncloaked while using energy based weapons, that and reduce the Berzerker health cos right now it's pure nonsense this thing can take on 4 people with a stick.

Kailem

You just described the inherent problem with the cloak, which is that it's so bad it makes the entire "Predkour" system a liability. You're better off just running along the ground to approach the fire team because at least that way you have buildings and structures blocking them from being able to see you. Any time you use the trees they get audio cues that you're there, either from growling/clicking that you have no control over, or from you activating your cloak/vision, and since the cloak is terrible the instant they look up when they hear those sounds they spot you right away.

I don't think the cloak looks anything like it does in the movies though. I never liked how it looked when we first saw it in the convention videos last year, and having played the game now for the last few days I'm convinced that the reason it looks like vertical interference rather than the bending, heat-type effect from the films is just to make the Predator that much easier to see for the fire team.

The Wraith's cloaking effect in Dead by Daylight is basically a spot-on perfectly accurate Predator cloak. It looks exactly like the effect in the movies and is impossible to spot if he's standing still but more of a visible distortion in the air when he's moving fast. That's what I wish we had here, something that's good enough to allow you to actually position yourself up in the trees to try and scan and stalk and lay traps, not get spotted before you can ever get anywhere close and blasted back down to the ground.

Galactus123

I unlocked the Smart Disc yesterday and its fun to use. I was close winning a game as Predator but they were able to call reinforcement. I think Predator should have more time to stop it or the Fireteam members shouldn't come back all at once.

Corporal Hicks

In case people aren't aware, the Predators can destroy the reinforcement radios.

Kailem

I was totally not aware of this!

I guess that helps, though given that they're spread out all over the map and you don't now which one they're going to use you'd pretty much have to play enough to know where they all are then go around destroying them all before attacking the fire team, which would mean you'd also have to waste a lot of time you don't really have to begin with.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Picked up my copy today and just completed a run through of the tutorial. I am super impressed with everything about the game; the creature and map designs, all the details, and music. Awesome stuff. And, not gonna lie, it's kinda sexy watching the Predator climb through the trees.  ;D

Definitely need more practice before getting wrecked online though.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed