Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,614 times)

SuperiorIronman

We wont know for sure until Saturday but it looks a lot less messy than Jason and Friday the 13th. The legal battle however will kill the franchise and whatever comes up in its place we wont know until its over.

I can almost guarantee though Illfonic and Marvel are looking for the contact info for the Thomas brothers. f**k it, it circles back to Darkhorse. Ironically with Illfonic I was pretty sure we knew we had a year's worth of support and nearing exactly a year this shit goes down.

Voodoo Magic

Illfonic must be shaking their fist at the clouds and yelling.... AGAIN?!!!

And why would Illfonic invest in any new Predator content after this, even if a Judge temporarily allows the lincesees to continue, if the rug can be pulled out from underneath them at any time. ugh.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2021, 02:54:16 AM
This is all about me wanting to see the people that created the thing in the first place actually getting their end of the deal that they initially struck and not getting snuffed out by a massive corporation like Disney, like so many others before them have. I'd feel the same if the creators of any successful franchise were in the same position.

I do think the Dan O'Bannon family heirs can actually make the same pursuit, so start hoping!

I'm mixed about the issue personally. Like Alien, so many factors and talent outside of the Thomas Bros were key to making Predator work. It was one Boss Film Studio decision away from being quite a mess. Silvestri.... McTiernan.... But either way, I do feel if litigation happens, it shouldn't be allowed to stop projects already in production. But alas...

SM

Quote from: Engineer on Apr 16, 2021, 02:57:40 AM
So they are the creators of "predator"

But not so much for "predators" and the super predators featured in that film... could that be a loophole? Maybe that's why titan's new AVP book used the plural for the first time since that third film's era? "Aliens vs predators: ultimate prey."

They created the Predator character and universe it inhabits, effectively.  And they have a stake in AvP.  They couldn't just use Super Predators and cut the Thomas's out.

As a comparison, if they made an Alien film that only had an Alien Queen in it, O'Bannon and Shusett would get a 'Based on characters created by' credit and however much in royalties that nets.  James Cameron wouldn't get anything despite creating and designing the Alien Queen.

BlueMarsalis79

Does that mean they'll finally write another film?

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 16, 2021, 02:47:28 AM

I know you've mentioned you're not really a Predator fan so just imagine this happening with Alien. From Titan books, to games, to the series, if it goes the way of Friday the 13th, it can paralyze new content for years. :-[
Where do I sign?

BlueMarsalis79

Especially if it stops Marvel yes thank you.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 16, 2021, 03:14:51 AM
I do think the Dan O'Bannon family heirs can actually make the same pursuit, so start hoping!

If it starts breaking up some of these massive studios and dispersing more properties so they aren't all living under the same roof, I would absolutely love that. If everything is coming from one studio, with the same sets of eyes overseeing it all, then things are going to get stale fast. Studios like Disney just keep on obtaining IP after IP, and then a whole damn competing studio in the form of Fox, and that is awful for the industry as a whole and the individual voices within it.

Hell, I'll even take it a step further and say that as much as I want a Covenant sequel, I would also be fine if Alien came to a stop. There's something to be said for some franchises actually coming to an end – not every property needs to go on infinitely.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2021, 03:23:18 AM

If it starts breaking up some of these massive studios and dispersing more properties so they aren't all living under the same roof, I would absolutely love that. If everything is coming from one studio, with the same sets of eyes overseeing it all, then things are going to get stale fast. Studios like Disney just keep on obtaining IP after IP, and then a whole damn competing studio in the form of Fox, and that is awful for the industry as a whole and the individual voices within it.

Hell, I'll even take it a step further and say that as much as I want a Covenant sequel, I would also be fine if Alien came to a stop. There's something to be said for some franchises actually coming to an end – not every property needs to go on infinitely.

I don't know. I know Alien is your love. And you're one of the many (including me) starving for a crumb of info on that Alien TV Series and you probably have posted the most of us on that thread. I can't see you not being disappointed if a similar situation happened to Alien suddenly. It's a lot easier to wave away when the ramifications of this is theoretical, versus facing it as a very real potential immediate reality.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 16, 2021, 03:49:54 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2021, 03:23:18 AM

I don't know. I know Alien is your love. And you're one of the many (including me) starving for a crumb of info on that Alien TV Series and you probably have posted the most of us on that thread. I can't see you not being disappointed if a similar situation happened to Alien suddenly. It's a lot easier to wave away when the ramifications of this is theoretical, versus facing it as a very real potential immediate reality.

Even more than my love of Alien, though, is my love of movies and the people that make them. And I would rather see an environment where filmmakers can thrive creatively than one that is hardwired to hit certain criteria within the brands that I like.

You're absolutely right in that I am always going to get excited for/intrigued by any new installment in a franchise that I love like Alien, but that doesn't mean I need another one. If it was announced tomorrow that the Hawley series was canceled I'd be disappointed for sure (especially because I like Hawley's Fargo series) but, ultimately, I'd be fine. It would be far from the first Alien project to be canceled, and I am just as excited for Ridley Scott's upcoming films The Last Duel and House of Gucci, and James Cameron's Avatar followups. David Fincher's Mank didn't totally live up to the hype for me, unfortunately, but it was one of my most anticipated films last year and I still cannot wait to see what he does next. The individual works of the filmmakers that contributed to the brand are just as much a source of excitement for me as the brand itself.

BlueMarsalis79

If it goes ahead I hope Predator Skulls still happens, and also a proper Predator 3, in terms of a sequel to Predator 2 (The Bible), but considering the amount of good Predator stuff we get in general I can't imagine we will miss out on much anyway.

Sure Predator Hunters ruled but apart from it and perhaps three novels after over thirty years? Most of that stuff's nothing to write home about at best.

And with Marvel's track record the future looks bleak for EU material in Disney's hands honestly.

Enjoy

I see this as a very good thing .

Voodoo Magic

Well good discussion NA!  And I love that Predator 3 talk TQ!

Now I'm off to drink myself to sleep in hope that I awake and all this potential Predator turmoil is settled in record time!  ;D

BlueMarsalis79

Blabel

Hope The Thomas bros get their due. They deserve it.
Sad for all the actors/crew that will go unemployed if this f**ks up the production of the next movie (and it most likely will).

Immortan Jonesy

I dunno....ceative freedom to do what exactly? AVP, Prometheus? Attack of the Clones?

I'll be biased, but after Mandalorian and everything other than ST, I'm willing to give in for the benefit of the doubt, as things are often what they are because of a collaborative effort, like in Alien or Star Wars.

What they do with comics is f**king shit. And in that I do agree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed