Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 88,228 times)

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
God it's not bloody hard.

Not for nothing -- but you've done it, right?   :-\

Fact: The vast majority of movies that come out are not worth the film they were printed on.

The fact that this movie attempted to tackle the subject matter it did and a great if not perfect movie came from it is proof that it's much harder than you seem to think.

Because of all the other movies in its genre that were this good?  The last Sci Fi movie [without an Alien monster in it] that was this good and thought of in the regard it has been by an awful lot of people might have been 2001 -- an altogether different take on the same subject "where did we come from" and it took a second movie to try and answer the questions of the first- -- not to mention 3 or 4 more novels.

"God - it IS not that bloody hard" and the above post is simply post simply "Agreed"  ::) -- where is your film?  I'll watch it.  Not a film maker?  What was the last thing you've done personally on this scale that received this much positive [and negative] attention?  Where is your 100 movie long list of films in this genre that were better?

??? ??? ???

SM

SM

Ah, the old "Let's see yo do better" argument.

It isn't an argument at all.

That aside, yes it generally IS that hard.  Though it is easier when you're Ridley Scott.

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2012, 10:27:57 PM
Maybe this time they could make a movie that's actually as smart as it thinks it is. Or at least, stop acting like asking "Where did we come from? Aliens?" is some kind of deep, profound question. It isn't.

Wait a sec... you're saying the the question of where the Human Race and everything else on the planet Earth if not the entire galaxy / universe is not a profound question?   ???

Surely you jest.  Because I'd dare say that most astrophysicists and religious zealots would argu it is THE most profound question in Human History. 

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2012, 03:17:24 AM
Ah, the old "Let's see yo do better" argument.

It isn't an argument at all.

That aside, yes it generally IS that hard.  Though it is easier when you're Ridley Scott.

Yes - we can call me out on a logical fallacy -- but I am not asking that.

I am saying if it's so easy - and this isn't the quality of film I think is -- then tell me what you say is.  So I have a frame of reference.

Seriously SM - you might not realize the passive / aggressive nature of nearly all your posts -- but jeez you sure do like to stir things up -- and my guess is you'd deny it.

SM

SM

I think Sil might've been trying to say "It's been done". 

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: SM on Aug 06, 2012, 03:21:02 AM
I think Sil might've been trying to say "It's been done".

And so what?  Unless you're trying to tell me it was answered somewhere I am unaware of and thus there is a new most profound question that the human race would like answered.

Sorry - but let's stop sending rovers to Mars -- "It's been done"

Oh - yes - no one is writing any books on it anymore either.  Good grief.

Can Time mag stop putting out it's annual God issue -- because it's been done.

Also -- no more rookie cop dramas on TV please -- it's been done.  And of course - no A-Team sequels -- it's been done.

SM

SM

A-Team sequel hasn't been done.  Mores the pity.

As for the rest, take it up with Sil.  I made it pretty clear I was guessing.

redalert51

redalert51

Quote from: episodenone on Aug 06, 2012, 03:11:54 AM

Fact: The vast majority of movies that come out are not worth the film they were printed on.

The fact that this movie attempted to tackle the subject matter it did and a great if not perfect movie came from it is proof that it's much harder than you seem to think.

Because of all the other movies in its genre that were this good?  The last Sci Fi movie [without an Alien monster in it] that was this good and thought of in the regard it has been by an awful lot of people might have been 2001 -- an altogether different take on the same subject "where did we come from" and it took a second movie to try and answer the questions of the first- -- not to mention 3 or 4 more novels.

"God - it IS not that bloody hard" and the above post is simply post simply "Agreed"  ::) -- where is your film?  I'll watch it.  Not a film maker?  What was the last thing you've done personally on this scale that received this much positive [and negative] attention?  Where is your 100 movie long list of films in this genre that were better?

??? ??? ???
Ridley Scott has mentioned on record as admirer of 2001 A Space Odyssey ,,,

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: episodenone on Aug 06, 2012, 03:11:54 AM

??? ??? ???

I was making issue of the post production editing, the bad use of sound and music which amounted to no atmosphere, bad pacing and ultimately didn't pull me into the feeling of watching a movie.

You know what, yeah I think I could have done a better job at editing sections of Prometheus> I would've attempted to better pace the film and find a better way to handle having multiple characters instead of simply letting it be a series of scenes played one after the other. Nothing gelled particularly.
I've honestly been half thinking of recutting Prometheus when the DVD comes out, add a different score add in the deleted scenes. Kind of like what Topher Grace did with Star Wars Episode 1-3.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: episodenone on Aug 06, 2012, 03:18:48 AM
Wait a sec... you're saying the the question of where the Human Race and everything else on the planet Earth if not the entire galaxy / universe is not a profound question?   ???

Surely you jest.  Because I'd dare say that most astrophysicists and religious zealots would argu it is THE most profound question in Human History.
Problem is, it isn't asking a question about the origin of life.

It's asking about the origin of terrestrial life.

And then saying "Aliens did it".

This is not profound. This is not intellectually deep, nor is it difficult to fathom. It's every bit the cheap, lazy answer of "God did it". Something did it, something made it; we think this because this is how things work on the human scale. The existence of a watch implies a watchmaker, ergo we conclude that the existence of Man implies some Creator. Prometheus, being sci-fi, proposes its Engineers, and so thinks it's made some grand statement.

It hasn't.

Not only that, passing off the origin of life here to something over there doesn't actually answer the question of how life started, it just passes it off to something else. As Holloway himself asks, "Who made them?". If the answer is "Engineer Engineers", it's bullshit. If the answer is "Presumably the same way life in reality started -- no f**kin' clue", then what was the point in the Engineers in the first place?

But I admit I have missed what Prometheus clearly considers its biggest question -- not who, but why. Why make us?

Except the film never answers this. Nor does it give the audience the tools it needs to answer this. It doesn't even give the audience enough to begin justifying their own beliefs. All they can do is form an opinion and scrounge the film for scraps of information to tentatively support what amounts to musing. It throws the question out, dangling it in front of the audience, looking so God-damned pleased with itself because of it, and then tears it away and says "Nope, horror movie ending now, see you for part 2 when we get around to answering what is, ostensibly, the question that justifies this film's existence in the first place."

There's nothing smart or clever or deep or intellectual about posing a question in a vacuum. The film hardly seems bothered to make us interested in the question anyway. It's dropped in a handful of dialogue, but every time something comes up the movie throws another tentacle monster at us.

tl;dr "Did aliens do it?" is a boring horseshit non-answer to a legitimately intellectually stimulating question and saying "Why did aliens do it?" isn't actually profound or meaningful unless you actually give the audience something to mull on.

maddriver

maddriver

The question of "why" can be answered by saying: we were a lab experiment. A lab experiment gone wrong.
Examples can be: we turned against them at some point 2000 years ago -or-
we evolved too far, to the point of being able to colonize space - thus becoming a potential threat

Those 2 examples and the (known) fact that we tend to be a violent species with a need of conquering, maybe convinced the Elephants that we have to be shut down somehow.

Or simply the experiment reached the end goal, so the Elephants found no further use for us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we were nothing more but guinea pigs, who managed to turn against the scientists and even got out of the maze.
Now, think about what human scientists would do in such a situation? What would human scientists do if ants from an ant farm would've gotten out of the contained area and started spreading in the laboratory itself? You can't handpick each and every ant and place it back in the jar. You think about using a bug spray before the situation gets even worse.

n00b133

n00b133

enough with the hate already just because the movie wasnt exactly what you expected. i thought it was great. i dont remember any plotholes, although they did intentionally leave some questions unanswered and im ok with that. i cant wait for this next one, and possibly one more after that. im really curious to see this "paradise" and how everything bridges to the original Alien. and the evolution of the creature itself, of course. the only thing i agree with is that the tone should be a little more eerie. and less cg for the actual alien. other than that, great f**king movie!

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: n00b133 on Aug 22, 2012, 09:35:35 AM
enough with the hate already just because the movie wasnt exactly what you expected. i thought it was great. i dont remember any plotholes, although they did intentionally leave some questions unanswered and im ok with that. i cant wait for this next one, and possibly one more after that. im really curious to see this "paradise" and how everything bridges to the original Alien. and the evolution of the creature itself, of course. the only thing i agree with is that the tone should be a little more eerie. and less cg for the actual alien. other than that, great f**king movie!

If it's meant to bridge that gap at all.... "Paradise" could just as easily relate to something Shaw's father told her about other peoples beliefs, the question of 'what happens when we die', as seen by David during Shaw's dream in hyper-sleep. We know David knows how her father dies, maybe there's more to see in that scene, but Scott decided it wasn't necessary for the final film.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Aug 07, 2012, 12:10:02 PM

This is not profound. This is not intellectually deep, nor is it difficult to fathom. It's every bit the cheap, lazy answer of "God did it". Something did it, something made it; we think this because this is how things work on the human scale. The existence of a watch implies a watchmaker, ergo we conclude that the existence of Man implies some Creator. Prometheus, being sci-fi, proposes its Engineers, and so thinks it's made some grand statement.

It hasn't.

Not only that, passing off the origin of life here to something over there doesn't actually answer the question of how life started, it just passes it off to something else. As Holloway himself asks, "Who made them?". If the answer is "Engineer Engineers", it's bullshit. If the answer is "Presumably the same way life in reality started -- no f**kin' clue", then what was the point in the Engineers in the first place?

But I admit I have missed what Prometheus clearly considers its biggest question -- not who, but why. Why make us?

Except the film never answers this. Nor does it give the audience the tools it needs to answer this. It doesn't even give the audience enough to begin justifying their own beliefs. All they can do is form an opinion and scrounge the film for scraps of information to tentatively support what amounts to musing. It throws the question out, dangling it in front of the audience, looking so God-damned pleased with itself because of it, and then tears it away and says "Nope, horror movie ending now, see you for part 2 when we get around to answering what is, ostensibly, the question that justifies this film's existence in the first place."

There's nothing smart or clever or deep or intellectual about posing a question in a vacuum. The film hardly seems bothered to make us interested in the question anyway. It's dropped in a handful of dialogue, but every time something comes up the movie throws another tentacle monster at us.

tl;dr "Did aliens do it?" is a boring horseshit non-answer to a legitimately intellectually stimulating question and saying "Why did aliens do it?" isn't actually profound or meaningful unless you actually give the audience something to mull on.

You know it saddens me that such a well reasoned, intelligent, post 'can be' essentially played down with responses like "Well, I liked it" or "Stop with the hate."

It's damn near theological or religious in the natures of some peoples defenses around here when it comes to this movie.

I guess we'll just have to see, but I think the next film needs to one better than Prometheus. Not squander it's potential. Be more than the sum of it's parts. Not play intelligence frisbee by passing the scenes off early to monster scares.

JKS1

JKS1

Quote from: OpenMaw on Aug 23, 2012, 11:20:47 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 07, 2012, 12:10:02 PM

It hasn't.

You know it saddens me that such a well reasoned, intelligent, post 'can be' essentially played down with responses like "Well, I liked it" or "Stop with the hate."

It's damn near theological or religious in the natures of some peoples defenses around here when it comes to this movie.

I guess we'll just have to see, but I think the next film needs to one better than Prometheus. Not squander it's potential. Be more than the sum of it's parts. Not play intelligence frisbee by passing the scenes off early to monster scares.

Haha ..yeah...'Promethean Fundamentalists'...cant see past their own noses, all swivel eyed reaction, and simply unable to hear genuine and valid criticism of the film's many, glaring flaws ....'if youre not with us youre against us !!"

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: JKS1 on Aug 23, 2012, 01:28:13 PMHaha ..yeah...'Promethean Fundamentalists'...cant see past their own noses, all swivel eyed reaction, and simply unable to hear genuine and valid criticism of the film's many, glaring flaws ....'if youre not with us youre against us !!"

Just don't lump us all in with that generalization. I like the film because it's fun to watch. Sure, it has flaws. So does Alien3 - and I like that one, too.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed