New Predator Film "Skulls" to be distributed through Hulu per Thomas Bros lawyer

Started by Voodoo Magic, Jun 11, 2021, 03:16:07 AM

Author
New Predator Film "Skulls" to be distributed through Hulu per Thomas Bros lawyer (Read 28,652 times)

goose_3387

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2021, 11:42:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAzja2tWAg8

20 seconds in when the mask comes off. Left temple, right of frame. Few times throughout as well but that's the first time it shows up.

I'm not entirely sure it's intentional - it could well be a side effect of the mandible control - but God it works.

The irony of it being unintentional but being better than the intentional work of others - if that makes sense. 😅

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2021, 12:58:55 AM
The same people would still be complaining, but it'd certainly take the edge off things like the skin folds.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm even of the equal belief that if ADI makes the best Predator of all time (I know, not likely), the same people would be bitching about something else.

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 14, 2021, 10:41:22 AMStill though, the original KPH Predator is the only on screen Pred that makes me believe it really could be a real life alien and not a guy in a suit. In fact I still don't believe it's a guy in a suit, that Pred is real in my eyes. 😬😅

Completely agree there as well. All the Predators haven't moved as well since we lost KPH. Proof that he's a legend. Those who followed him have done great and fantastic work though, but no one has yet to hit his level.

Voodoo Magic

Performance is definitely part of the recipe, and puppeteer work, but ADI's poor execution in certain areas are definitely in play here too and definitely deserves to be on the discussion table.

When you have odd folds, rolls and skin pockets not on the maquette but on your final product, the problem can't be dismissed solely to improper lighting.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 14, 2021, 11:21:01 AM
But admittedly, I'd still take this obvious animatronic over every other obvious animatronic since.

Me too. 100%

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2021, 12:58:55 AM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 13, 2021, 10:42:25 PM
"People" more generous than I.
Less pretentious and condescending, to boot.

Let's keep it civil here please, SiL. Thanks!

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 14, 2021, 06:55:08 PM
When you have odd folds, rolls and skin pockets not on the maquette but on your final product, the problem can't be dismissed solely to improper lighting.
Performance all around definitely helps! I always thought the mandibles on City Hunter looked the coolest, but were the most choppy and stuttery in performance.

But camera work can elevate it all, along with the light, and personally I think those are all poorly composed and lit shots in the examples. Better lens focal lengths and angles can trick the eye into not noticing these things. But here, we have boring, static angles in very soft, almost beauty light. Scar is supposed to be outside, in the foggy moonlight. And yet, he looks like he's lit for a bright and pretty beauty photo. Fugitive is just lit... Ew... So soft and bland, which is a shame because Larry Fong is a great cinematographer, but The Predator was just butt ugly to look at in general. Wolf in that shot doesn't look too bad compared to the other two you posted, to be honest. It doesn't help that the example is a screen recording of a television though. But AvPR had poor light, along with the poor transfer after release. You can light things in shadow, without it being too dark.

But even in some decent light... Those folds can still be there, and on Stan's work too!

goose_3387

Performance is definitely part of the recipe, and puppeteer work, but ADI's poor execution in certain areas are definitely in play here too and definitely deserves to be on the discussion table.

https://i.ibb.co/nj4HpJ2/20210414-102511-1-1-1.gif

https://i.ibb.co/hy7JxHF/20210318-195010.gif

https://i.ibb.co/4gG9CYV/20210321-102513-1-4.gif

But admittedly, I'd still take this obvious animatronic over every other obvious animatronic since.

Me too. 100%

Wolf is the best of the bunch IMO. The broken tusk and scarring probably helps.

I really like that extended Wolf arrival scene when he takes his mask off in the ship. A rare moment in the film where the lighting suits the scene.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mikey on Jun 14, 2021, 07:31:02 PM
Performance all around definitely helps! I always thought the mandibles on City Hunter looked the coolest, but were the most choppy and stuttery in performance.

But camera work can elevate it all, along with the light, and personally I think those are all poorly composed and lit shots in the examples. Better lens focal lengths and angles can trick the eye into not noticing these things. But here, we have boring, static angles in very soft, almost beauty light. Scar is supposed to be outside, in the foggy moonlight. And yet, he looks like he's lit for a bright and pretty beauty photo. Fugitive is just lit... Ew... So soft and bland, which is a shame because Larry Fong is a great cinematographer, but The Predator was just butt ugly to look at in general. Wolf in that shot doesn't look too bad compared to the other two you posted, to be honest. It doesn't help that the example is a screen recording of a television though. But AvPR had poor light, along with the poor transfer after release. You can light things in shadow, without it being too dark.

That's fair. Lighting can definitely improve each of these situations.👍

QuoteBut even in some decent light... Those folds can still be there, and on Stan's work too!

Oh without a doubt. Especially with pausing, there has always been a slight roll or fold in both Jungle Hunter & City Hunter to find. Even in the shots we love to post...

But we're really talking apple seeds to watermelons here. And none of the Winston skin fold in opposite directions, or become loops, creating holes that can be filled with cannoli cream!  :D (I think I have my new gif idea!)

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 14, 2021, 07:34:53 PM

https://i.ibb.co/nj4HpJ2/20210414-102511-1-1-1.gif

https://i.ibb.co/hy7JxHF/20210318-195010.gif

https://i.ibb.co/4gG9CYV/20210321-102513-1-4.gif

Me too. 100%

Wolf is the best of the bunch IMO. The broken tusk and scarring probably helps.

I really like that extended Wolf arrival scene when he takes his mask off in the ship. A rare moment in the film where the lighting suits the scene.

Yes, agreed. Definitely. Wolf looking good straight on, not so much, but he definitely looks the best from the side angle. But when he's masked, I love him (an Ian's performance inside him.) 👏

goose_3387

^
It's a shame that Ian hasn't been invited back to perform. I read that he had schedule conflicts maybe?...

Or maybe the filmmakers just didn't want him?

SiL

QuoteWhen you have odd folds, rolls and skin pockets not on the maquette but on your final product, the problem can't be dismissed solely to improper lighting.
That can be explained by needing to accommodate a much wider range of motion, though. If the mandibles weren't designed to open ridiculously wide, there'd be no need for the excess skin.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 14, 2021, 08:26:06 PM
^
It's a shame that Ian hasn't been invited back to perform. I read that he had schedule conflicts maybe?...

I would love to have Ian back, just for his over 7 foot tall height alone!

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2021, 08:27:46 PM
QuoteWhen you have odd folds, rolls and skin pockets not on the maquette but on your final product, the problem can't be dismissed solely to improper lighting.
That can be explained by needing to accommodate a much wider range of motion, though. If the mandibles weren't designed to open ridiculously wide, there'd be no need for the excess skin.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to open as large as Wolf could...

But Fugitive can open really wide.

kwisatz

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 14, 2021, 08:55:19 PM
This should open up the forum for a whole new clientele.

Voodoo Magic

goose_3387

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 14, 2021, 08:55:19 PM
Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 14, 2021, 08:26:06 PM
^

I would love to have Ian back, just for his over 7 foot tall height alone!

Quote from: SiL on Jun 14, 2021, 08:27:46 PM

Yeah, it doesn't seem to open as large as Wolf could...

https://i.ibb.co/DpqPJ4y/ac7f5162b52de69b504f532c815ac10f.gif

Fugitives mouth always reminds me of when I was 7 or 8 and couldn't quite draw Predators properly yet.

Voodoo Magic

What a great observation CB. I would have never thought of it myself but it rings so true.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed