Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 102,154 times)

SiL

...they own the rights, they're literally the producers.

The Cruentus

Key word. Shouldn't.

I don't know what is going to happen when disney gets control but as long as they don't act like Fox, then its a non issue for me.

SM

It's their money - they get a say.

To suggest they shouldn't is ridiculous.

The Cruentus

No its not. If that is the case, it is ridiculous that they bother to hire producers, directors and editors if they just going to do it themselves.

Just because someone or something has power doesn't mean it is always right to use it.

Also "getting a say" is one thing but it is not the same as imposing their ideas on someone, which is what they do.

SM

SM

Once again - it's their money.  Especially when it comes to franchises.

They always get a say, and if the director doesn't have final cut, the studio generally has THE say.

It's silly to say 'why hire directors etc.'  They hire them because a studio exec doesn't have the necessary skills to make the film.  Their job is protect an investment.

The Cruentus

Which they have tons of, so I don't see why they should interfere. Investments are risks, that is the name of the game but not everyone doing so micromanages everything all the time.

SM

Indeed, but sometimes they do and sometimes it's necessary.

Bad investments can sink studios.

The Kurgan

Not saying that producers and studios can't meddle in, because well, they can and they do.

But they should trust the people they hired. I think you can count the cases for meddeling that lead to a better movie on one hand. So even from an investment point, it would make sense just to hire people you trust and are proven by past successes and let them make their thing.

SM

And sometimes the people you hire aren't as good as you thought they were.

It's a bit lazy to pin everything on the studio as so often happens.

Alien 3 ended up being a much tighter piece thanks to studio meddling - though it ultimately doomed from the start.

The Cruentus

An unchecked director can make bad decisions but that it why it is a gamble.
And Fox does need to think a bit more about their "ideas" before imposing them on a film. Neither is really a good path, either you got a unchecked director that doesn't care about continuity and lore or you got some studio suit putting insane ideas that mess with contiuity and lore.
I understanding making movies is far from simple, but there needs to be respect for the franchise, for the what the films are about.

Voodoo Magic

Back in the 70s - 80s, it was all about the director's vision, a time where the director can fight a studio and win!  And considering what resulted from those decades, albiet there were plenty of stinkers, and some smaller studios had to close their doors as a result, I suspect overall this was the better method.

SM

There's only ever been a small handful of people where it was "all about the director's vision".  Everyone else has to compromise with the studio - or simply do what their told.

Voodoo Magic

Fighters like Francis Ford Coppola, Oliver Stone, George Lucas, Ridley Scott, Stephen Spielberg, John Carpenter, James Cameron, John Milius, Paul Verhoeven, off the top of my head.

SM

I don't recall Lucas fighting with studios.  And the most publicised fight Ridley had - he lost.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Dec 23, 2018, 08:04:15 PM
I don't recall Lucas fighting with studios.  And the most publicised fight Ridley had - he lost.

Lucas fought the Fox board room heavily with Star Wars. And you're right, Ridley lost more battles than he won, but if you're still winning some, battling still provides a net-gain.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed