Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 114,811 times)

Katanu

Good to hear it! Hunters 3 wasn't the finale I was expecting for Predator, so I hope this one is good.

Corporal Hicks

I f**king loved this story. I think I was going "Oh, damn" like every 5 pages or so!  :laugh: The artwork was fantastic. Doug Wheatley was such a treat to go out on, and Rain Beredo's colouring complimented him really nicely. I really love Rain's colour work - on this and Dust to Dust.

Spoiler
This series was just so f**king brutal. So brutal. And so satisfying. To see the Predators massacre like that, to see the Elder take the pounding he did and continue onwards. I loved that it wasn't a traditional hunt either, but a border conflict where the rules weren't in play. And as an Alien fan, to see the Alien actually portrayed as being worthy of being considered the Ultimate Prey was soooo satisfying.

I was a little dubious of the main characters being children, but I think it worked. The child synthetic was genuinely interesting to me. A young mentality trapped within, facing his own "mortality" and obsoletion when he was supposed to be part of the family. I wasn't too sure on the team-up either (when am I ever) but it worked enough for me.
[close]

Really looking forward to reading this one through again.

Xenomrph

I just got the trade paperback in the mail today, I'm probably going to read through it in the next day or two.

Russ840

Just finished the digital copy, loved it.

Any extras in the Trade ?

SuperiorIronman

Just finished it. I picked up where I left off with the singles like Hunters so I kind of breezed through it. It started off a bit lacking but overall I think it nailed the landing. That was a solid ending for the book. If and when we get the inevitable AVP reboot out of Disney I hope they draw from this.

I got the paperback and I didn't see any extras. If this has any it might be in a hardcover.

skhellter

Good stuff. And a damn good book to finish Dark Horse's run with the series...

End of an era..  :'(

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 23, 2020, 09:59:05 AM
I f**king loved this story. I think I was going "Oh, damn" like every 5 pages or so!  :laugh: The artwork was fantastic. Doug Wheatley was such a treat to go out on, and Rain Beredo's colouring complimented him really nicely. I really love Rain's colour work - on this and Dust to Dust.

Spoiler
This series was just so f**king brutal. So brutal. And so satisfying. To see the Predators massacre like that, to see the Elder take the pounding he did and continue onwards. I loved that it wasn't a traditional hunt either, but a border conflict where the rules weren't in play. And as an Alien fan, to see the Alien actually portrayed as being worthy of being considered the Ultimate Prey was soooo satisfying.

I was a little dubious of the main characters being children, but I think it worked. The child synthetic was genuinely interesting to me. A young mentality trapped within, facing his own "mortality" and obsoletion when he was supposed to be part of the family. I wasn't too sure on the team-up either (when am I ever) but it worked enough for me.
[close]

Really looking forward to reading this one through again.

Finished this finally tonight. And I agree with most of what you said Aaron.

Doug's artwork and also Rain Beredo's colours were amazing. The rendering of the Xeno was perfect and really nailed the sinister creepiness of it all.

My only gripe was it did move along at a breathtaking pace at times. Perhaps not a gripe rather it was a rollercoaster from the first page to the last.

Russ840

I have to say. Other than the original AVP and possibly Eternal, this has got to be the best AVP comic we have had.

What do you all think ?

Kradan

Quote from: Russ840 on Dec 08, 2020, 09:01:54 AM
I have to say. Other than the original AVP and possibly Eternal, this has got to be the best AVP comic we have had.

I feel like Local's vote would be for DotS

Xenomrph

What do you all think ?
Eternal is a great Predator story, but it's a bad AvP story. The Aliens are totally inconsequential to the plot, you could remove them entirely and nothing would change.

happypred

This is like Eternal (and AvP 2004) in that Alien fans will be grateful for how the alien is portrayed in combat. Also like Eternal, the art is this comic's strength.

Other than that, thought this was OK, not incredible.

Spoiler
I note that the elder seems to have graduated from the Broken Tusk school of Yautja-Human relations. Probably the most sympathetic predator we've seen so far...though he does get himself maimed in a silly way to serve the plot
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 09, 2020, 07:23:22 PM

What do you all think ?
Eternal is a great Predator story, but it's a bad AvP story. The Aliens are totally inconsequential to the plot, you could remove them entirely and nothing would change.

So what's the top three AVP Graphic Novels in your opinion ranked?

Xiggz456

What do you all think ?

For a four issue series yes I agree that it's the best since the original. Best art for sure! I do really like Duel (2 issue series) and The Web (2 parter from DHP) but those are shorter stories so it's harder to directly compare. The whole eating a Predator heart gives you 200 years of life used to kill Eternal for me but I've slowly come around to being okay with it (really using it for Dutch in Hunting Grounds alongside reverse engineering the Pred's medkit made it more plausible for me).

Kradan

I find Thicker than Blood to be surprisingly sweet and charming story

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed