NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,174,027 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Is there a scan of all NECA's figure background stories somewhere?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 26, 2020, 06:49:11 AM
If you think the NECA story sucks, then just ignore it and say it's apocryphal/Predator myths and legends/whatever.

It might as well be apocrypha, because the Hish were the ones who had enslaved the Amengi in Forever Midnight, although this could be explained that they had turned their former masters into slaves... However, in THIS particular backstory, it is mentioned that the Hish were smaller, unintelligent and perhaps non-sapient until the Amengi had more or less produced the first Yautja, Kaail, where as there was no indication of the Hish being smaller, more animalistic, and unintelligent in Forever Midnight.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 26, 2020, 08:20:24 AMIs there a scan of all NECA's figure background stories somewhere?

I'd be interested in seeing that too!

Still Collating...

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 26, 2020, 08:35:53 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 26, 2020, 06:49:11 AM
If you think the NECA story sucks, then just ignore it and say it's apocryphal/Predator myths and legends/whatever.

It might as well be apocrypha, because the Hish were the ones who had enslaved the Amengi in Forever Midnight, although this could be explained that they had turned their former masters into slaves... However, in THIS particular backstory, it is mentioned that the Hish were smaller, unintelligent and perhaps non-sapient until the Amengi had more or less produced the first Yautja, Kaail, where as there was no indication of the Hish being smaller, more animalistic, and unintelligent in Forever Midnight.

But the backstory mentions they were like that before Kaail, at the beginning when the Amengi arrived, once the tables have turned you get the Predators we all know and love. It's just that some predators still call themselves Hish, and some like the new term Yautja.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Still Collating... on May 28, 2020, 08:22:02 AM
But the backstory mentions they were like that before Kaail, at the beginning when the Amengi arrived, once the tables have turned you get the Predators we all know and love. It's just that some predators still call themselves Hish, and some like the new term Yautja.

Oh I know this, but I am not a fan of this backstory at all.

That and I really don't like the Hish interpretation of the Predators, and the fact that they just got f**king Prometheus'ed here.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

It's a bit of Prometheus here though that being said we do have a lot more wiggle room then the Alien continuity does and it ends on the Alpha Predator backstory being described as a "tale".  Worth mentioning that the Hunting Grounds leak also gives flavor-text to the Predator by describing him as being "known in legend". Meaning that while while in-universe the uprising against the Amengi occurred its events are known in legend and ascribed to this individual. This uprising may have played out exactly as described but there's enough wiggle room that this origin can be seen of dubious authenticity.

The sickle is said to be used by this individual Predator and the implication is that the figure and class in HG is meant to be this specific individual. But it's entirely possible these events are just tall tales or not exactly what happened though it seems the Amengi did have an encounter with them. 

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 28, 2020, 03:02:33 PM
Quote from: Still Collating... on May 28, 2020, 08:22:02 AM

Oh I know this, but I am not a fan of this backstory at all.

That and I really don't like the Hish interpretation of the Predators, and the fact that they just got f**king Prometheus'ed here.
Out of curiosity, what about Hish do you not like? Are they all that different? I kind of half look at stuff outside the films.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Hish in Forever Midnight? Bloody awful.

Hish in Flesh and Blood? No problem with that at all.

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2020, 10:34:16 AM

I'll have to check them out.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on May 30, 2020, 01:57:59 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2020, 10:34:16 AM

I'll have to check them out.

Good luck - they're long out of print.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on May 29, 2020, 03:44:49 PM
Out of curiosity, what about Hish do you not like? Are they all that different? I kind of half look at stuff outside the films.

Basically everything about the Hish... The whole hermaphrodite aspect of the Hish (or to be more accurate, the gender swapping), the Hish being more conquerors and slavers than Hunters and Warriors, the Kill-Gland aspect which required them to take a medicine to control themselves, Hish pups using remote controlled humans to play Mortal Kombat with them, the whole setting fire to Hish pups right after birth to prove who's worthy to survive...

For me, I am all about the Yautja, and while I understand that most people don't like that aspect either-- to me, the Yautja seemed more in line with what came in the movies as far as the years 1987 - 2007 happened to be concerned. Now it seems like they're completely changing that.

I just don't like how they reconciled it. It would've been so much better if the Super Predators were written to be the Hish, and the normal Predators were the Yautja.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 01, 2020, 01:25:04 AM

Basically everything about the Hish... The whole hermaphrodite aspect of the Hish (or to be more accurate, the gender swapping), the Hish being more conquerors and slavers than Hunters and Warriors, the Kill-Gland aspect which required them to take a medicine to control themselves, Hish pups using remote controlled humans to play Mortal Kombat with them, the whole setting fire to Hish pups right after birth to prove who's worthy to survive...

For me, I am all about the Yautja, and while I understand that most people don't like that aspect either-- to me, the Yautja seemed more in line with what came in the movies as far as the years 1987 - 2007 happened to be concerned. Now it seems like they're completely changing that.

I just don't like how they reconciled it. It would've been so much better if the Super Predators were written to be the Hish, and the normal Predators were the Yautja.

Yeah that basically sums up why I never wanted to read Forever Midnight twice. I'm basically fine with it being a Legend and so we don't know for sure if this happened.

Man, I hated that book. I still own it but it's up there with One More Day in books I never feel the need to read again.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jun 01, 2020, 02:57:05 AMYeah that basically sums up why I never wanted to read Forever Midnight twice.

That and the fact it's a terrible book.

A couple of the Hish things I honestly didn't mind. The kill-gland idea in particular was interesting (albeit really badly realised in Forever Midnight; it was far better implemented in Flesh and Blood). Even the gender-swapping didn't bother me (and would at least spare us the Yautja's ridiculous boobie-Pred look).

To be fair though I find the over-exploration of the Predators to be a bit silly either way, Yautja or Hish. I far prefer them to be vague and mysterious, the way they're presented in books like the Predator 2 adaptation or South China Sea.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Less is quite often more.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 01, 2020, 01:25:04 AM

As someone who's never actually read any Predator novels I never knew exactly why people would always say "I never liked the Hish or their portrayal" etc. until now. Yeeeah that doesn't sound too hot.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed