unessasary quoting

Started by Der_Meister, Oct 25, 2007, 07:05:51 PM

Author
unessasary quoting (Read 6,243 times)

Der_Meister

Der_Meister

I hope you don'tmind making a thread for this ,but its come to my attention that when people reply to someone's post that they quote it.I find it quite pointless.Especially when pictures are being quoted, they appear 5 times a page,wich is quite irritating to me.I only quote to previsious posts.Just my 2 cents :)

Kriszilla

Kriszilla

#1
I agree this is annoying, but people do it nonetheless. And what we say about it won't make a difference. I mean, we're not allowed animated gifs for avatars or sigs, but if you look around, you'll see them pop up occasionally.

Master Chief

Master Chief

#2
Quote from: Der_Meister on Oct 25, 2007, 07:05:51 PM
I hope you don'tmind making a thread for this ,but its come to my attention that when people reply to someone's post that they quote it.I find it quite pointless.Especially when pictures are being quoted, they appear 5 times a page,wich is quite irritating to me.I only quote to previsious posts.Just my 2 cents :)
Quote from: Kriszilla on Oct 25, 2007, 07:47:03 PM
I agree this is annoying, but people do it nonetheless. And what we say about it won't make a difference. I mean, we're not allowed animated gifs for avatars or sigs, but if you look around, you'll see them pop up occasionally.

:D...Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

I don't mind the quoting of statements, but I do mind the quoting of pictures....

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

#3
The only one that bugs me is when someone quotes an entire post (usually a long one) only to add "I agree" at the bottom.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

#4
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 26, 2007, 01:59:43 PM
The only one that bugs me is when someone quotes an entire post (usually a long one) only to add "I agree" at the bottom.
I agree.

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

#5
Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 26, 2007, 01:58:30 PM
but I do mind the quoting of pictures....

I've only done that a bit but I never actually thought about it been annoying until I read this.
I should try to stop doing it or at least keep it to a minimum. I feal embarrased :-[
When you think about it it is annoying.

OneThousandEyes

OneThousandEyes

#6
Back where I come from, it's OK to edit the quoted guy's post. How do you guys on this forum feel about it?

Example:

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 26, 2007, 01:58:30 PM

:D...Sorry, I just couldn't help it.


Shorted down for simplicity.

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

#7
I don't see anything bad with quoting, I meen quoting is there for a reason, to be used.

SiL

SiL

#8
Because this forum doesn't stick 'In reply to Post #' up the top, with the post number, people have to use quotes in order for others to know who they're talking to.

Master Chief

Master Chief

#9
Quote from: OneThousandEyes on Nov 04, 2007, 01:01:05 AM
Back where I come from, it's OK to edit the quoted guy's post. How do you guys on this forum feel about it?

I don't think anyone has a problem with that.  I do it.

REYALS

REYALS

#10
Quote from: OneThousandEyes on Nov 04, 2007, 01:01:05 AM
Back where I come from, it's OK to edit the quoted guy's post. How do you guys on this forum feel about it?

Example:

Quote from: Master Chief on Oct 26, 2007, 01:58:30 PM

:D...Sorry, I just couldn't help it.


So, Im not sure how to edit quotes... fill me in... please. :-\ ;D

Shorted down for simplicity.

Master Chief

Master Chief

#11
Quote from: REYALS REIGN on Nov 09, 2007, 04:56:53 AM
So, Im not sure how to edit quotes... fill me in... please. :-\ ;D

first things first...when quoting someone, try not to put your text in their statement.  Make sure you start typing after you see this --> [/quote] it will avoid the problem you had with your last post.  Make sense?

REYALS

REYALS

#12
 Yeah, but I tried not to do this, but I dont know what happened here. I even "modified" my post quote, and it threw me back in the other persons quote area.... dont know how it did this, but oh well. I just want to know how to shorten peoples quotes, because I dont like re-posting quotess to the fullest.

Wolfs Girl

Wolfs Girl

#13
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 26, 2007, 05:57:43 PM
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 26, 2007, 01:59:43 PM
The only one that bugs me is when someone quotes an entire post (usually a long one) only to add "I agree" at the bottom.
I agree.
I second that agreement.
lol

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

#14
It would be nice if "unessasary quoting" could be enforced.  I visit some other forums on the interwebz and one of them has another quoting rule.  "No omislashing".  Basically for anyone who doesn't know this is a reference to a move in Final Fantasy 7 where the main hero dude slashes the shit out of his opponent.  What the rule basically means is that you can't slice up another post and pick each individual sentence apart one at a time because;

1.  It looks messy and
2.  It often leads to quoting out of context, which further leads to putting words into others mouths and strawman arguments.

Basically if you want to discuss points made in a long post, break them up a bit but don't cherry pick your points.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed
Contact: General Queries | Submit News