Fede Alvarez Talks Sir Ridley Scott's Response to Early Alien: Romulus Cut

Started by Darkoo, Oct 16, 2023, 07:29:19 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez Talks Sir Ridley Scott's Response to Early Alien: Romulus Cut (Read 23,457 times)

Neila

I have the utmost respect for Ridley Scott BUT:
I agree with many here that he is not the sole ruler of the Alien franchise. He is not what George Lucas is or was for Star Wars.
Not all of the decisions he made were obviously good for the Alien brand.
He always seemed pretty arrogant in interviews when it came to Alien and said that he doesn't care about the other films in the Alien universe.
While I actually think Prometheus and Covenant was pretty good, it didn't achieve the desired success and upset a lot of fans.
That's how it was with Cameron with Terminator DF and Shane Black with THE Predator
(and they were actually really shit)
In addition, it is generally no longer a guarantee these days if a director of an original speaks positively about a script or follow-up film.
I'm looking forward to Romulus, but you have to decide for yourself whether it will actually be good and you can't rely on other people's statements or feel safe just because Fede had made good films before.

Wweyland

Well, I guess it's better than if he said he hated it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Neila on Oct 18, 2023, 10:22:58 AMHe always seemed pretty arrogant in interviews when it came to Alien and said that he doesn't care about the other films in the Alien universe.

Quote from: Ridley Scott"so what I think James Cameron did was an excellent action picture. It really was amazing what he accomplished. There's also no question that Cameron made an excellent film with Aliens. It really is an achievement." In 2012, he stated: "Jim loved Alien, adored it ... I would never, ever critique or criticise [Aliens] because I think it was very successful and what he did was really good."

Quote from: Damon LindelofHe [Scott] hasn't seen the Alien Vs. Predator films, he likes Cameron's sequel but he admits to feeling a little conflicted that he was passed over in terms of directing the sequel. He's a huge Fincher fan and feels sorry that David was so hamstrung in terms of what he could and could not do in terms of Alien 3 and while he acknowledges that it's a beautiful looking film I think he wishes that Fincher would have been allowed to do what Fincher does on that film. I have a feeling that if Alien 3 had been Fincher's third film instead of his first then it would have been up there in the pantheon of great sci-fi. We didn't talk about Resurrection

Ridley also visited the Alien 3 set while they were filming and his son, Jake worked in Alien 3's art department.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BenditlikeBeckum on Oct 17, 2023, 07:18:58 PMThey hired Underwaters' exceptional cinematographer Galo Olivares, so that shit is highly expensive stuff right there.

Nope, they hired Underwaters' production designer Naaman Marshall.  Galo Olivares didn't do the cinematography for Underwater. He most recently did the cinematography for Gretel and Hansel (2020), which was teal and orange central :/

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

woops totally copied the name of the guy in the title of the thread. It is Naaman Marshall.

BenditlikeBeckum

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 18, 2023, 10:24:05 AMWell, I guess it's better than if he said he hated it.
exactly. 

bobby brown

The OG directors of franchises always say this when they are on as producers, Spielberg about Indy 5, Cammeron on T5,6... However, I have faith in this. I think a young and hungry director is the very best choice. and It's a plus if he wrote it himself. Then you know its a passion project.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: bobby brown on Oct 18, 2023, 05:19:41 PMThe OG directors of franchises always say this when they are on as producers, Spielberg about Indy 5, Cammeron on T5,6...

Ridley Scott on Blade Runner 2049:

Quote"I have to be careful what I say," Scott told Vulture when prompted in an interview. Though, he wasn't that careful. "It was f—ing way too long. F— me! And most of that script's mine," he continued.

https://ew.com/movies/2017/12/27/blade-runner-2049-ridley-scott-reaction/

Ingwar

Yeah, but he said that long after BR2049 release.

RIP77

RIP77

Quote from: bobby brown on Oct 18, 2023, 05:19:41 PMThe OG directors of franchises always say this when they are on as producers, Spielberg about Indy 5, Cammeron on T5,6... However, I have faith in this. I think a young and hungry director is the very best choice. and It's a plus if he wrote it himself. Then you know its a passion project.

Yes, but this is not promotion if it happened in the context that Fede says.

He gave the example of BR2049 where Scott did not like Villeneuve's cut (as the director explained, the final cut is not the director's) and they had to negotiate until they reached a middle ground. And yet Scott said publicly that he preferred his montage that lasted 25 minutes less, which was still very good. He said this already in the campaign and yet he did not bite his tongue saying in public the same thing that he told him in private.

But one thing is the campaign and another behind closed doors where Scott obviously says what he thinks since the final montage depends on it, as happened with 2049. So if you don't like it, you would have to look for another until you find the key. .

That is why it is not a campaign nor can it lie, quite the opposite because it is part of his job (hence what he feared that Fede could happen).

Scott cannot be in campaign mode in the context that Fede says. It would be nonsense if Scott didn't like her and say she's very good... if she didn't keep quiet publicly in the 2049 campaign like she's going to do privately, having the power to change that setup... It wouldn't make sense and it would only make sense. so that later Fede uses his phrase to publish...

Another thing is whether we believe all this about Fede and from the roots it is part of the campaign (which would not be the first time) but as he tells it in private, Scott will always be sincere and also being Scott as he is, he will want to control the movie... So it doesn't matter that, what is Scott going to say because the context is not the same as in other cases where you have to sell that it is always good.Scott in private is work and can control the movie if you don't like the editing. Scott in private no lie.

The positive thing is that it is Fede's montage whether Scott is right or not.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 18, 2023, 05:35:43 PMYeah, but he said that long after BR2049 release.

Well... he has pre-emptively said that Hawley's show won't be as good as his original movie as well. :laugh:

Neila

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 18, 2023, 11:16:27 AM
Quote from: Neila on Oct 18, 2023, 10:22:58 AMHe always seemed pretty arrogant in interviews when it came to Alien and said that he doesn't care about the other films in the Alien universe.

Quote from: Ridley Scott"so what I think James Cameron did was an excellent action picture. It really was amazing what he accomplished. There's also no question that Cameron made an excellent film with Aliens. It really is an achievement." In 2012, he stated: "Jim loved Alien, adored it ... I would never, ever critique or criticise [Aliens] because I think it was very successful and what he did was really good."

Quote from: Damon LindelofHe [Scott] hasn't seen the Alien Vs. Predator films, he likes Cameron's sequel but he admits to feeling a little conflicted that he was passed over in terms of directing the sequel. He's a huge Fincher fan and feels sorry that David was so hamstrung in terms of what he could and could not do in terms of Alien 3 and while he acknowledges that it's a beautiful looking film I think he wishes that Fincher would have been allowed to do what Fincher does on that film. I have a feeling that if Alien 3 had been Fincher's third film instead of his first then it would have been up there in the pantheon of great sci-fi. We didn't talk about Resurrection

Ridley also visited the Alien 3 set while they were filming and his son, Jake worked in Alien 3's art department.
Well, that all reads pretty harmoniously and if that was the case, that's of course a good thing.
In the Making of Alien 3, which was broadcast on TV, Ridley was also on set. However, I seem to remember that around the time of Covenant's release I saw a video interview of Ridley in which he was asked what he thought of the other Alien films.
and he replied that he had actually never watched it and didn't care. That was a bit strange for me too because I think he had seen the films. Maybe someone noticed this and can confirm it.
To be honest, I don't speak the language properly and I may have misunderstood something.
If that is the case, I will of course take back my statement.
Maybe I can find the video online again and check it out.

Ingwar

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 18, 2023, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 18, 2023, 05:35:43 PMYeah, but he said that long after BR2049 release.

Well... he has pre-emptively said that Hawley's show won't be as good as his original movie as well. :laugh:

He ain't wrong ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Neila on Oct 18, 2023, 06:15:29 PMHowever, I seem to remember that around the time of Covenant's release I saw a video interview of Ridley in which he was asked what he thought of the other Alien films.
and he replied that he had actually never watched it and didn't care. That was a bit strange for me too because I think he had seen the films. Maybe someone noticed this and can confirm it.
To be honest, I don't speak the language properly and I may have misunderstood something.

Yes, that was during an interview with IGN. The interviewer asked him whether he had seen any of the Alien games, comics and other EU stuff as well as the other films. Ridley's negative response was with regards to the games, comics, books etc. rather than the Alien sequels which he has all seen including Alien: Resurrection ("which was kinda adequate" - R. Scott).

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 18, 2023, 07:04:09 PM
Quote from: Neila on Oct 18, 2023, 06:15:29 PMHowever, I seem to remember that around the time of Covenant's release I saw a video interview of Ridley in which he was asked what he thought of the other Alien films.

Yes, that was during an interview with IGN. The interviewer asked him whether he had seen any of the Alien games, comics and other EU stuff as well as the other films. Ridley's negative response was with regards to the games, comics, books etc. rather than the Alien sequels which he has all seen including Alien: Resurrection ("which was kinda adequate" - R. Scott).

Yeah, there was no way he would get away with claiming he hasn't seen the movies - the whole showdown of Covenant literally does 'Alien 3's door run, before, blowing it out of the airlock/into space..for the 4th time. 😂 (Insert obligatory need to fanboy and point out once again that 'Alien 3' is the only sequel in the franchise with an original ending 😌).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed