Fede Alvarez Talks Sir Ridley Scott's Response to Early Alien: Romulus Cut

Started by Darkoo, Oct 16, 2023, 07:29:19 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez Talks Sir Ridley Scott's Response to Early Alien: Romulus Cut (Read 19,738 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The uninformed should watch this:

Literally go a minute in.

SiL

Alvarez is good at making small, tension packed movies so it doesn't surprise me that he may have done a good job in a franchise that is receptive to small, tension packed movies.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: MC11 on Oct 17, 2023, 06:31:49 PMThat's nice and all. But remember when James Cameron endorsed Terminator 5?   I will take this quote and sweep it to the side and just wait for the film with tempered expectations.

A better comparison here would be Terminator: Dark Fate, which Jimbo was actually involved with (as Ridley is here), as opposed to the weird half-assed promotion he did for Genisys.

RIP77

RIP77

Scott hired the writers of BR2049 when he was director.

He gave the script to Villeneuve and he had to accept it as explained.

He then spent more than 4 hours doing his thing, more than what was in the script. But he had to fight with Scott in the final cut.

And the final result is good.

Scott hasn't been that involved in Romulus. The draft was from Fede and he gave it to him and he said it wasn't the time and years later he called him and he gave him the green light.

Fede made HIS movie that's why he was afraid of what Scott would think because he wasn't involved like in 2049 when he knew everything.

In 2049, Villeneuve did not give him a final cut, but from the beginning of post-production there was a follow-up from Scott who had his personal cut and there was negotiation.

That didn't happen in Fede's Alien, which is why Scott saw that montage for the first time without knowing previous montages or having an opinion.

Cameron did the same (MORE MORE) as Scott in BR2049. His story, his cast. His film made by another director, only here Cameron had more weight since Miller is not Villeneuve. That's why Miller said that he would never work with Cameron again because she was his puppet and not even the final cut left him. Cameron laughed publicly. Comparation with Alien FEDE is a mistake. Sports  differents.

Therefore, what happened with Scott/BR2049 and Cameron/Dark Fate has nothing to do with Scott and Alien/Fede.

In Dark Fate it is Cameron's movie made by Miller being his puppet and that's how he got angry and said it publicly.

In BR2049 Villeneuve suffered pressure from Scott working on his film, his script BUT being Villeneuve's film also working on the basis of Scott's when he was director and the final cut was a good negotiation for both of them. Villeneuve struggled but his name It had a lot of weight.

In Fede Alien that never happened. Fede shot his movie, his script, edited it the way he wanted and showed it to Scott. THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. That shows that it's his movie, not Scott's.

Villeneuve did not have the director's cut (he said it) and Miller even less (he said it too).

And the process of creative freedom is much greater in FEDE compared to Scott and Cameron in 2049 and Dark Fate.

NOTHING to do with the comparisons with DArk Fate and 2049. FEDE's process is another, that's why I was afraid because Scott didn't condition his script or filming and that's why he had a director's cut that was something unknown to Scott until he saw it.

Scott did not have to wait for Villeneuve because he knew everything since it was his script and film when he was director. And Cameron didn't have to wait for Miller because he was 90% the boss and Miller was a puppet.

Fede was lucky because Scott delegated a lot to him because it didn't start out being his movie like 2049.Since FEDE has had the opportunity to have. Afterwards he might not like or yes  it but the process until having that final cut was without Scott.

For better or worse it is FEDE's movie, is not PUPPET.

DArk Fate is Cameron's movie as Alita (he said it in interviews).Projects born  Cameron not from the director ( Miller/Rodriguez) as if FEDE has done in Alien.

BR2049 BORN in SCOTT.  Is 40 or 50% Scott's film BUT also Villeneuve's, due to its direction and changes in the script, although the basis was Scott's film and he has his percentage to blame because without that script Villeneuve would never have filmed 2049 that we know otherwise. other. BUT MOVIE VILLENEUVE.

Scott is productor Alien Romulus but different 2049 and Cameron/Dark Fate. Sports DIFFERENTS the relationship and freedom with  FEDE in comparation Miller or Villeneuve. 2049 and DF  are movies Scott and Cameron in origin, his  babys  in adoption.

FEDE Alien is  son adult with  independence.

Rudiger

Presumably Scott thought Prometheus and Covenant were great too, so this is hardly a ringing endorsement.

PrincessFiona161

Kinda funny Scott inquired who wrote the dialogue. I have a feeling it hasn't been improved since the leaked audition tapes.

littlesprout

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 17, 2023, 07:41:04 PMThe uninformed should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv6hLkZWvzY

The 1:20 minute mark to 1:34 is my problem with Ridley. That's a hazardous attitude some might refer to as over confidence.

Immortan Jonesy

[cancerblack]

Quote from: littlesprout on Oct 17, 2023, 10:02:35 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 17, 2023, 07:41:04 PMThe uninformed should watch this:

The 1:20 minute mark to 1:34 is my problem with Ridley. That's a hazardous attitude some might refer to as over confidence.

Honestly, I like it. He's done well for himself and should get to make the art he wants to in his twilight years.

xShadowFoxX

Hey, as long as there's no black goo.. or engineers.. actually, no prequel elements, then I'm all in.

littlesprout

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 18, 2023, 12:46:23 AM

Honestly, I like it. He's done well for himself and should get to make the art he wants to in his twilight years.

Well, three things in the life are certain. Death, taxes, and [cancerblack] sticking up for Ridley Scott

BenditlikeBeckum

BenditlikeBeckum

Ridley added: "The dialogue is great. Did you write it?"  :'(

Getting ready to watch this film we'll be so hyped up for the dialogue I won't even watch the visuals.
Just eyes closed/ ears open for  dialogue.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: littlesprout on Oct 18, 2023, 05:35:27 AM

Well, three things in the life are certain. Death, taxes, and [cancerblack] sticking up for Ridley Scott

No, he f**ks up all the time, when if he were "lesser", he'd get reigned in. It does not get the best results for us, the consumer.

But f**kin, he's old. Let the man paint.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 18, 2023, 09:12:04 AM
Quote from: littlesprout on Oct 18, 2023, 05:35:27 AM

No, he f**ks up all the time, when if he were "lesser", he'd get reigned in. It does not get the best results for us, the consumer.

But f**kin, he's old. Let the man paint.

I agree with cancerblack - sometimes I feel directors are at their best when there is someone in the background saying "no", and once these directors get the freedom they desire, the ideas and creativity becomes chaotic until the focus is lost. (Likewise, I also feel some directors get really lucky for a variety of factors, receive all of the praise that really should have been directed at a team of individuals, and then can never live up to that expectation ever again).

This is another thing I like about Fede Alvarez; if you follow his social media, he shares posts such as images of himself and Jane Levy on the set of Evil Dead (2013) arguing, and publicly acknowledges that 9 times out of 10 after an argument, he'd watch the film back and realise she was right; he acknowledges that he gets it wrong and recognises feedback from others is important. Not many in the industry these days would do the same.

That being said, sometimes you just have to sit back and let the artist create - if it's good, awesome, if it's shit, it's on the individuals head.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed