Predator: Dark Ages.

Started by Tally101, May 16, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

Author
Predator: Dark Ages. (Read 54,737 times)

Russ

Russ

I loved it, but it did make me wonder if there's an inherent problem with future Predator films. What do you do with a Predator aside from have him hunt folk? One idea postulated on this forum by "worldpeace" I think (I'm not sure he posts here anymore) was to have the Predator being the one hunted (his ship crashes in somehwereistan and a Black Ops team goes in to get him which turns the thing on its head.

But in and of itself, Dark Ages was a triumph – I really really enjoyed it and more was impressed by the quality on so little money.  A top

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think it's more the setting that you put the Predator in that can make it interesting. What timezone, etc.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Russ on Jun 11, 2015, 02:50:06 PM
I loved it, but it did make me wonder if there's an inherent problem with future Predator films. What do you do with a Predator aside from have him hunt folk? One idea postulated on this forum by "worldpeace" I think (I'm not sure he posts here anymore) was to have the Predator being the one hunted (his ship crashes in somehwereistan and a Black Ops team goes in to get him which turns the thing on its head.

That's actually a pretty neat idea, Predator: Concrete Jungle (video game) follows on that idea somewhat and it did rather well.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/06/17/avpgalaxy-interviews-james-bushe-simon-rowling-predator-dark-ages/

I've just uploaded our interview with James and Simon, the guys behind Dark Ages.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

For those of you who pledged enough for the Blu-ray of the film, the survey for addresses went out last night.  :)

ADC

ADC

They did a top job on that film, though it was ace.

Nice poddy, Hickster

The_Angry_Barbarian

The_Angry_Barbarian

I gotta say I wasn't overly impressed by this fan film, I mean obviously aspects I liked but on a whole I didn't think it was much better than some other fan films. First off I do want to say the special effects were fantastic I really couldn't fault that aspect the cloaking was as good as the originals effects and the head blowing up was really well done. The acting was decent particularly like Brother Richard and at least unlike Predators the characters were developed somewhat and the directing was good. The problem I had was story, now I like the concept and the initial build up but when we get to the Predator I think it fell a little flat. To me it seems that some aspects of the hunter were completely ignored this primarily stood out to me where it kills one of the soldiers and uncloaks itself in front of the two witnesses. This to me was a little strange as the Predator creature has always liked to track its prey, observing them at a distance before taking them out one by one when it is hunting alone. I mean granted City Hunter does take on multiple gang members simultaneously but he only uncloaks to deal with the final gang member which is the Predator allowing its prey an honourable death. It rarely bothers uncloaking before prey if it is confronted by many adversaries (I'm ignoring the comics and xenomorph encounters).

The end was a little bit strange though I like that the Predator remained alive for once but the whole Sied sneaking up on it to then surrender. I mean I get it I understand the Predator in Dark Ages is supposed to respect Sied doing what he does but as soon as he snuck up on the Predator with a blade drawn he would have signed his death certificate. I'm going to use Poncho as an example here as he barely engages the creature at all throughout the original movie the only time really being when they all destroy the jungle following Blaine's death but after that he doesn't get much of a chance to fight it but it still kills him as he is brandishing a gun and has been seen using it. The only person the Predator willingly spares is Anna as she doesn't brandish a weapon and though she carries one and intends to fire she is stopped from doing so thus she doesn't use a weapon but what Sied does is issue a threat to a Predator by putting his knife to its throat. As soon as he puts the knife away the Predator is going to kill him. Sure it will respect his actions but all that will do is give the Predator a reason to take a trophy opposed to skinning him and that's if the Predator allows him to get far enough to put his weapon away, it would then finish off the templar.
Ultimately I view this fan film as I view most other fan films and Predators (which lets face it is a glorified fan film) it is a rehash of the original wanting to be the same thing and tweaking a few elements to differ it, other than that its pretty good but I'm waiting for a Predator film that can take the franchise in a new direction, expanding the mythos and retaining the base elements. I don't want to keep having to sit through some heroic figure who is obviously a wannabe Dutch fight against the Predator that's why I actually liked Predator 2 it was different and perhaps not quite the right thing to do completely but at least it was a different set up to a group of soldiers are hunted in a jungle or forest and killed with someone somehow surviving. The only good thing about this fan film is they didn't kill the Predator.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://www.facebook.com/PredDarkAges/photos/a.483719518425009.1073741828.483498921780402/717268228403469/?type=1

QuoteSo guys exciting news. Seems Predator Dark Ages has been nominated for Best Fan Film at the London Short Film Awards next year. To gain votes we need you guys to either post #BestFanmadeShortPredatorDarkAges or you can like and share this post. Thanks for all your support!

stevo

stevo

Why 30 mins not 2hrs 30mins ????

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Budget. They barely had enough to do a short film.

That said, I imagine if they did another campaign it's go better as we've seen what they can do now.

QuoteWow, how time flies !
This weekend marks exactly 12 months since we started filming Predator: Dark Ages.
Here I am between scenes with the man most responsible, writer and director James Bush

Randomizer

Randomizer

Watched it but was too lazy to post until now.

Basically, I'm impressed, very professional-looking, and I like how the sound samples from AvP2 were used.

The 1st encounter with the Predator felt quite clumsy, but like how this was fixed in the final battle between Thomas and the Predator. One thing that I rarely seen movie directors ever do was making the Predators agile and with fast reflexes.

Overall, loved it.  :) I hope to see more from you guys !

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm quite hopeful they'll do more too. Was really impressed with this and I'd like to think since we've all seen how well they can make films, another Kickstarter would do better but I'm not too sure.

CthulhuQueen

CthulhuQueen

Just watched this. Overall very impressed. Some of the acting was a bit clunky and I wish it had been longer but otherwise I really liked it. The suit is fantastic and I loved the whole medieval setting. I'd certainly contribute if they were to make another.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteGreat news! Predator Dark Ages has won 'best fan film' at the
Tri-Cities International Film Festival this month. Huge congratulations to the cast, crew and everyone who helped us in getting our short film made.

http://www.trifi.org/

Great news. It was very well deserved.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Wayched it recentaly thought it wold be those cheap boring fan films,this however was great ,lot of money was put into it this movie deserves a reward.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed