Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 158,479 times)

Xenomrph

I got the PDF and I've been skimming through it, it's pretty neat so far. The thing is, I hate reading books on my computer so I'm likely going to wait for the print edition before I really dive deep into anything.

I'm still really hoping that they crib from the old Leading Edge RPG.

Corporal Hicks

I ended up ordering the standard bundle over the anniversary bundle. Just prefer the original artwork.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 28, 2019, 12:38:41 AM
The thing is, I hate reading books on my computer so I'm likely going to wait for the print edition before I really dive deep into anything.

I'm the same, so I'm gonna have Staples print me a copy and coil bind it.

And yeah, that Anniversary Edition looks pretty bland compared to the Standard!

FenGiddel

I'd love to get a rolled map...

Xenomrph

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 28, 2019, 09:01:53 PM
The thing is, I hate reading books on my computer so I'm likely going to wait for the print edition before I really dive deep into anything.

Let me know how much that ends up costing you, maybe I'll do the same thing.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 29, 2019, 01:23:10 AM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 28, 2019, 09:01:53 PM

Let me know how much that ends up costing you, maybe I'll do the same thing.

Just placed my order. Printed b&w, double-sided, on regular 20lb bond with cardstock covers and coil bound was $33.87 Canadian, tax in.  :)

Nostromo

Really awesome cover, feel like buying it just for that reason alone.

Monster Man

Reading through this stuff, everything seems fine. Everything except how movement is covered. Ordinarily something like D&D uses a grid along with 5-foot increments to measure a characters movement within' a round. This mentions something about zones and the like, kinda weird.

Dachande

Quote from: Monster Man on May 29, 2019, 09:53:54 PM
Reading through this stuff, everything seems fine. Everything except how movement is covered. Ordinarily something like D&D uses a grid along with 5-foot increments to measure a characters movement within' a round. This mentions something about zones and the like, kinda weird.

Outside of D&D and Pathfinder, i think rules for movement can vary. I know the Star Wars themed RPG's don't use grid based combat, and just have different distance measurements, the same for the Legend of the Five Rings RPG, and The One Ring. It depends on the game and the DM playing the game, i've had D&D sessions where you don't need a map for combat, it just makes it easier.

Reading through the Starter Guide, and just envisioning how the game could play, i don't think it would really work too well to use a grid based combat system in an Alien universe, where generally speaking you aren't really going to be fighting lots of enemies at once, and if you are, you're probably pretty screwed.

Mr. Clemens

I'm always happy to dump the grid in RPGs. People counting squares is a real tension-killer.  :P

I do love me some miniatures as a visual aid, but I find putting 'em on a grid strips back the drama.

SM

Back in my playing days we never used a physical board or grid.

Got the PDF today, but haven't had a chance to have a read yet.

Dachande

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 30, 2019, 02:23:09 AM
I'm always happy to dump the grid in RPGs. People counting squares is a real tension-killer.  :P

I do love me some miniatures as a visual aid, but I find putting 'em on a grid strips back the drama.

I'm gonna be quite happy using the Board and Minis from Nemesis, I think that will work great

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Dachande on May 30, 2019, 11:33:28 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 30, 2019, 02:23:09 AM

I'm gonna be quite happy using the Board and Minis from Nemesis, I think that will work great

Didn't get the Prodos stuff while it was around?

SM

Read about half of it so far.  Doubt I'll get an opportunity to play it, but from I've read so far they seem to have a really good handle on the tone.

Local Trouble

Does it recycle any of the technical errata from the CMTM?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed