Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 158,452 times)

[cancerblack]

I'm going to try to get a peek at someone else's PDF upon pre order, coz if I like it enough I'll swing for the $99.99 version - but I'd not do it sight-unseen.

Mr. Clemens

I'm in for the Standard Bundle. I'll likely never play the game, but I want this stuff on my shelf.

Monster Man

Gonna have to stop myself from impulse buying the $250 deal. Even if the stuff it offers sounds cool, I don't think a TTRPG is worth that much.

Xenomrph

I'm dropping the coin on the $100 bundle. I doublt I'll play it which makes the GM screen and dice superfluous, but I'm interested in the map and cards.

FenGiddel

Yeah, the map. So it doesn't come with the standard edition? (The 100-dollar bundle's "helpful maps" description seems to indicate something other than that big map...)

Xenomrph

Quote from: FenGiddel on May 25, 2019, 10:26:13 PM
Yeah, the map. So it doesn't come with the standard edition? (The 100-dollar bundle's "helpful maps" description seems to indicate something other than that big map...)
It looks like the standard edition is only the book itself.

Also I noticed that the map includes a section of space controlled by the UPP (from one of the Alien3 script drafts), that's a nice touch. ;D

FenGiddel

Yes, it is. That's right out of Gibson's script, isn't it?

Xenomrph

Yep, they also show up in the Nintendo DS game "Aliens: Infestation".

Mr. Clemens

Pre-ordered the Standard Bundle, which works out to $144 Canadian, including shipping.

Looking forward to reading it!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: FenGiddel on May 25, 2019, 10:26:13 PM

You can buy the map separately: https://frialigan.se/en/store/?product_id=3687330316336

I've got to wait until tomorrow but then I'll be picking up Anniversary bundle!

Mr. Clemens

I'll bet the map is in the book too, but again, partially obscured by the binding, like FFG's Star Wars rpg.

RidgeTop

That artwork is pronominal, think I'll be picking this set up. I've never really gotten into table top RPG's, the massive rule-books just always seemed a bit intimidating. I assume people are looking up rules in-game plenty?

Xenomrph

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 27, 2019, 10:11:18 AM
That artwork is pronominal, think I'll be picking this set up. I've never really gotten into table top RPG's, the massive rule-books just always seemed a bit intimidating. I assume people are looking up rules in-game plenty?
If it's anything like tabletop wargames, then people are looking up rules in-game non stop. :P You aren't expected to memorize the rulebook (but you can if you want to).

Corporal Hicks

QuoteThis is the sixth official newsletter for the upcoming ALIEN tabletop RPG by Free League Publishing and Twentieth Century Fox.

After the start of the pre-order at ALIEN-RPG.COM Saturday, we have now sent out the first wave of Cinematic Starter Kit PDFs to everyone who pre-ordered so far. And the response has been pretty great! Some early reactions:

"Alien by @FriaLigan is a delight so far, setting the stage for a universe set just after the events of Alien 3. Themes of corporatism and uncertainty at the far edge of space."

"Very nice change of pace from D&D and it'll be interesting to see my friends squirm under what is DEFINITELY a more brutal game."

"This is absolutely and utterly fantastic. It is all wonderfully well written and crafted. The art work is wonderful as well."

We'll send out a new wave every day if we can, so if you're eager to get your hands on this space beast asap, pre-order at ALIEN-RPG.COM now!

THE FEEDBACK FORM
By taking part in the pre-order you can also provide feedback on the game before the core rulebook goes to print, and thereby help us making the game even more awesome – and be credited as an official playtester.

There is a link to a feedback form inside the Starter Kit PDF itself, but it seems many of are having trouble accessing the link. If so, please try this direct link instead.

Other Questions about the Pre-Order? You're welcome to our forum, dedicated to the ALIEN RPG and our other games.

TRY THE GAME AT UK GAME EXPO

At the UK Game Expo in Birmingham this coming weekend, you have the opportunity to try out the ALIEN RPG at the official Free League booth, #1-598. Come by to chat with the designers and sign up to try out the unique demo scenario run by Matt and Dave from the awesome Coriolis Effect podcast!

Missed the previous newsletters? If you missed our previous newsletters about the ALIEN RPG, you can find them here – and don't forget to sign up for future issues! If you have questions or thoughts on the ALIEN RPG, don't hesitate to visit our forums on the Free League website or follow us on Facebook.

/Free League Publishing

https://mailchi.mp/5c86d23a203b/first-wave-of-alien-rpg-cinematic-starter-kits-sent

farsightblogger

I've got my hands on the Starter Kit and I'm making my way through it now.

It's got a history, from Weyland's TED talk to post Fiorina 161 (there's a cult surrounding survivor Morse and his book 'Space Beast' he wrote about whathappened, which is really cool), and it not only covers the alien but also the governments, corporations and factions.

It's giving the players a chance to play the horror of Alien, the action of Aliens or the mystery of Prometheus. If you wanted to do something that doesn't involve the alien and stick to some corporate craziness - like Outland - then that's cool, too. There are plenty of options for all kinds of games.

I'll be starting the rules soon, but up to yet I'm loving what I'm seeing. They're based on the system they uses for Tales from the Loop and Coriolis and it works well, but it's not the full rules as they're leaving some of it for the full rulebook. However, I ran a Coriolis campaign last year and the system handles dark sci-fi really well, so I think this'll be a good fit.

Additional: Also, the GM is called the 'Game Mother'. Brilliant!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed