Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 167,463 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Gorman being a bit of a cliché is also simply the result of Cameron's so-so writing style.

A guy like that in charge of such an expensefull military operation naturally triggers all kinds of conspiracy theories if a realistic way of looking at things is applied (which is more or less the case when fans discuss their fan stuff).

It's highly unlikely the USCM isn't testing their command personnel in stress situations. It's all just a bit too conveniently written.

Think I always had a bit of a gripe with that scene. Up to it Aliens is excellent slow burn and then Gorman losing it like that at literally the first opportunity not even really trying to handle things - yeah always felt a bit too film cliché for me, even for Cameron.

In the end it's just a detail though.

Or maybe I'm overall exaggerating things and the Sulaco is just the equivalent of sending one tank and three grunts, in which case who cares not the USCM, dunno --

SM

I do like that Gorman actually has something approaching development.

kwisatz

Yeah, and I'm not even trying to say Cameron's a bad writer or anything. He actually reminds me quite a bit of GRRM.

It's just that balanced secondary characters don't seem to be too high on his priority list when fabricating a story.

The rest's just taste anyway.

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: SM on May 19, 2021, 01:56:24 AM
Yeah, he's not getting off "Scott-free"...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: kwisatz on May 19, 2021, 12:50:23 AM
It's highly unlikely the USCM isn't testing their command personnel in stress situations.

I'm guessing that's what his 38 simulated drops were for.  If his first combat drop went smooth and by the numbers, it probably only served to inflate his ego.

kwisatz

kwisatz

One really needs to question the quality and structure of those simulated "combat" drops though when in reality the trained subject mentally disintegrates entirely at the very first possibility of defeat. Gorman doesn't really strike me as someone who's experienced such a situation ever before (and it's the future; bet they can make these training sessions feel like the real deal). Like not even once.

Oh well, USCM probably should've included one or two Kobayashi-Maru-Test type scenarios in those simulations.  8)

c) Gorman slept his way up.

SM

Quote from: TNF on May 19, 2021, 03:29:34 PM
Quote from: SM on May 19, 2021, 01:56:24 AM
Yeah, he's not getting off "Scott-free"...

Booyah

Protomorph

I've not seen these RPG's. Do you need a minimum amount of players to play it? If so i'll not be able to play it easily.

Is it worth getting for the books alone or will that serve no purpose?

Xenomrph

They're definitely worth buying even if you don't intend to play.

judge death

I would say you need to find at least 2 others who want to play with you and 1 person as a gm so 4 in total for a decent experience. Not something you can play alone. I tried to start a group here who would play this rp online but no interest so gave up on it.

Kailem

Just got my pre-order artbook PDF, so keep an eye on your inboxes as those are being sent out now.

Some really great art in there. I've actually not spent much time at all reading through the Operations Manual, but I'm wondering if the tenth image might be a spoiler for the marine campaign (which I'm not going to read regardless). But either way it sure looks cool!

Xiggz456

Nice thanks for the head up! About 50 pages deep into the Operations Manual and the History section is fascinating and full of EU references!

BlazinBlueReview

Looking into this. Wishing to get this but again no one round here to play with.

judge death

Im volountaring :P
An option is to join the text rp we have going on the official discord for it :)

Corporal Hicks

It's easy to play online too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed