Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 159,437 times)

SM

It's not a question if there's source material telling us otherwise.

Local Trouble

I must have forgotten what the source material said about it then.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Spoiler
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 24, 2019, 12:35:23 AM
Not just that, let's think about how an Auriga-contracted egg-hunt might shake out:

Auriga contracts some mercenaries to do an off-the-books job. Grabbing eggs is dangerous without some kind of preparation, so the Auriga tells the mercs vaguely what they're dealing with so they don't f**k it up - the Auriga doesn't get their eggs if all the mercs are dead, after all.

Who knows if the pay is "good", or maybe the mercs start to think they've got a goldmine on their hands and double-cross the Auriga and try to find a higher bidder - assuming the details of the job haven't already leaked and someone on the Auriga flips for the opportunity for a payday, or one of the mercs opens their mouth and corporate interests find out about the job ahead of time and sabotage/intercept it. There's a lot of ways the Auriga could get f**ked, and they'd have no recourse. Shit, maybe it already happened "off screen" and it's not brought up in the movie.

And since you're dealing with Aliens, the mercs could still drop the ball and get themselves killed at any point despite having an idea of what they're getting themselves into. And all of this is irrespective of a hypothetical blockade or quarantine or whatever.

Or you send the mercs in blind with minimal instruction, and hope they don't pull a Nostromo and get themselves killed, or that they get clever and sell out anyway.

Telling a bunch of mercs to capture a bunch of warm bodies and not tell them why is likely to raise less questions and decrease the chances of something going wrong, and that's probably a big factor in why the Auriga did what it did.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 24, 2019, 12:58:19 AM
There's also the question of territoriality during the era of Alien Resurrection.  Is LV-426 even located within USM-controlled space?  Maybe the old corporations fled Earth and made homes on far-flung colony worlds where they maintain control over their territorial holdings with military power of their own.

[close]

Yeah I really like where this is going.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 24, 2019, 01:10:42 AM
I must have forgotten what the source material said about it then.

Yes.  Yes I believe you did.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Gediman definitely referred to Fiori-16, but I don't recall anything in AR about LV-426.  I'm talking specifically about the planet, not the derelict.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 24, 2019, 01:29:17 AM
Spoiler
Not just that, let's think about how an Auriga-contracted egg-hunt might shake out:

Auriga contracts some mercenaries to do an off-the-books job. Grabbing eggs is dangerous without some kind of preparation, so the Auriga tells the mercs vaguely what they're dealing with so they don't f**k it up - the Auriga doesn't get their eggs if all the mercs are dead, after all.

Who knows if the pay is "good", or maybe the mercs start to think they've got a goldmine on their hands and double-cross the Auriga and try to find a higher bidder - assuming the details of the job haven't already leaked and someone on the Auriga flips for the opportunity for a payday, or one of the mercs opens their mouth and corporate interests find out about the job ahead of time and sabotage/intercept it. There's a lot of ways the Auriga could get f**ked, and they'd have no recourse. Shit, maybe it already happened "off screen" and it's not brought up in the movie.

And since you're dealing with Aliens, the mercs could still drop the ball and get themselves killed at any point despite having an idea of what they're getting themselves into. And all of this is irrespective of a hypothetical blockade or quarantine or whatever.

Or you send the mercs in blind with minimal instruction, and hope they don't pull a Nostromo and get themselves killed, or that they get clever and sell out anyway.

Telling a bunch of mercs to capture a bunch of warm bodies and not tell them why is likely to raise less questions and decrease the chances of something going wrong, and that's probably a big factor in why the Auriga did what it did.

There's also the question of territoriality during the era of Alien Resurrection.  Is LV-426 even located within USM-controlled space?  Maybe the old corporations fled Earth and made homes on far-flung colony worlds where they maintain control over their territorial holdings with military power of their own.

[close]

It still doesn't mean we're getting praetorians.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Dec 24, 2019, 01:05:50 AM
The movie is noncommittal and easily explained, the novelization is a little harder but not impossible, the CMTM says it's definitely there, the WYR and RPG are ambiguous, and other sources like AvPClassic and ACM feature the derelict prominently, if one chooses to accept those.

Also none of the aforementioned sources say anything about territoriality anyway, so LT's question is a valid one.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 24, 2019, 01:46:28 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 24, 2019, 01:05:50 AM

The movie is noncommittal and easily explained, the novelization is a little harder but not impossible, the CMTM says it's definitely there, the WYR and RPG are ambiguous, and other sources like AvPClassic and ACM feature the derelict prominently, if one chooses to accept those.

Also none of the aforementioned sources say anything about territoriality anyway, so LT's question is a valid one.

I wasn't sure what source material we were talking about so I just defaulted to the movie.

The Old One

AVP Classic is excellent but it's nearly got no story to speak of, if only it used Monolith's story, but I'd sooner take Aliens: The Ultimate Doom, as canon over ACM.

Corporal Hicks

But we keep the weaponry.

The Old One

Yeah, but for Aliens The Ultimate Doom weaponry variety is off the charts so apart from three weapons, ACM is completely disposable.

HuDaFuK

In not sure it's the worst in the entire franchise, but ACM's story might be the one I hate most more than anything else.

The fact they had the outright gall to expect us to accept that someone who just happens to be wearing bandages in the exact same places as Hicks manage to find his way onto the Sulaco and then conveniently got thrown in his cryopod...

Yeah, f*ck that game. F*ck it hard. With a crowbar.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Dec 24, 2019, 12:24:52 PM
AVP Classic is excellent but it's nearly got no story to speak of, if only it used Monolith's story, but I'd sooner take Aliens: The Ultimate Doom, as canon over ACM.
There's a loose enough plot that you can follow what's going on, especially in the Marine campaign. The nameless Marine is stationed at a new research facility built around the Derelict in the decade since 'Aliens', and the facility is compromised. He makes his way through the facility and outside to the new colony, and from there he goes to the new atmosphere processor and primes it to explode (it's been a while since I played - I know the game gives a reason for why he does this but I don't remember it), and takes a dropship to the orbiting space station. It's also infested (and there are some Predators and prototype weapons on the loose) so he boards an escape craft to the USS Tyrargo in a nearby orbit. This is *also* infested, so he shoots his way to the hangar, ejects a Queen into space, and assumes he's safe. What happens to him after that is unknown.

Like it's coherent enough and you can follow where he's going and why, it's not like he's just jumping from one map to the next.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 24, 2019, 12:34:34 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/b36f3b78fa25a12571b365c9f74436d0/tenor.gif

But we keep the weaponry.
According to the RPG's Facebook group we're getting a book about the USCM next, so I'm hoping we get an expanded arsenal cribbed from the EU. Gimme some of those Alien-liquefying particle cannons from 'Aliens: Backsplash'.

Local Trouble

So have we achieved consensus on the status of the derelict then?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 24, 2019, 08:02:56 PM
So have we achieved consensus on the status of the derelict then?
We achieved consensus back in 1986, all of this has just been hypothetical discussion.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 24, 2019, 01:41:56 AM
Gediman definitely referred to Fiori-16, but I don't recall anything in AR about LV-426.  I'm talking specifically about the planet, not the derelict.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Dec 24, 2019, 01:29:17 AM
Spoiler

[close]

It still doesn't mean we're getting praetorians.
One passage in the novelization details the state of LV-426.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed