Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 166,776 times)

The Old One

The Old One

That's completely incorrect, you obviously don't understand it- it does not do just anything. We know this for a fact.

Spoiler

We know from various sources (Covenant, Advent, David's Drawings, Alien The Cold Forge, Alien The RPG) that the Pathogen is defined as so: At the beginning of Prometheus we see a substance used to create life, do not misunderstand, this is not the Pathogen- it is honeycombed in structure, breaks down the Engineer and is stored entirely uniquely. It is life creating, although requiring a sacrifice, while The Pathogen itself is referred to as death creating behind the scenes.

When the four liquid capsules in an Ampule (The Pathogen storage device) activate, presumably when deployed by a Juggernaut craft, it atomizes the particles to the air. The Pathogen is designed to empty a planet of life, how fast it affects a host in doing this depends upon dosage.

"The original liquid atomized to particles when exposed to the air."

"The pathogen was designed to affect all non-botanical life forms. All the animals, the 'meat', if you will... either kill them outright or use them as incubators to spawn a hybrid form, highly aggressive."

David refers to it dispersed as intended during deployment, but when it's not dispersed as intended and instead a host comes in contact with the Pathogen in it's liquid form it clearly also modifies the recipent until the host dies as the Pathogen eventually intended.

An example of Pathogen dispersement:
David, the artificial son of Peter Weyland sacrificed a population of Engineers against their will- wiping the planet clean, first because of the extreme concentration of the Pathogen during initial deployment it killed most Engineers in their Citadel immediately, then when the Pathogen settled into the air, it attached itself to pollen creating infected Fungus, the first step of bringing forth Neomorphs to finish the job. Presumably the Engineers had an antidote to end the Pathogen's presence on a planet when it's job completed. Whether it's the life creating substance or something else before that is introduced is unknown.

"From the eggs, came these parasites... shock troops of the genetic assault. Waiting for a host, entering the host... rewriting the DNA... and ultimately... producing,
these enviable unions." The Neomorph.

The lifecycle of a Neomorph can be equated to the titular Alien.

Spore Pod = Egg
Motes = Facehugger
Bloodburster = Chestburster
Neomorph = Adult Alien
In the Neomorph's case, when it dies it turns into more of the Pods responsible for it's creation, after 24 hours regardless- owing to it's accelerated life cycle.

The Pathogen is consistent in it's creation:
All creations feature:
-Acidic blood/saliva
-Pale, fleshy, translucent skin
-Elongated limbs
-Extra appendages; back protrusions, extra fingers and a pharyngeal jaw in the Neomorphs' case.
(The unfolding appendages around the head hiding an attack method in the case of the Hammerpede [A variation of the Neomorph born from a worm] and Trilobite [A potential stage in the creation of a Deacon, because of Doctor Elizabeth Shaw's infertility] much like the pharyngeal jaw.)

During the Prometheus' expedition to the empty world of LV-223 the crew discovered a massacre of Engineers by the Pathogen, infected by it in it's liquid form.
The process is seen in the numerous bodies of the Engineers, with combusted features, the decapitated Engineer, Fifield and Charlie Holloway. It's stated by the team behind Prometheus, that all three exist as stages of the one process.

Just as the decapitated Engineer, the infected Charlie Holloway carries identical symptoms with veins rising to the surface of his skin, complexion alteration, bloodshot eyes, pain and he also started becoming aggressive when crew members of the Prometheus tried to assist him.The infected Sean Fifield is a further stage of this, in addition he became bloated in the cranium, further aggressive and further violent. It's stated (by Alien The RPG) the penultimate stage is a distinct departure as it begins to develop further into something resembling a Neomorph, but only in terms of it's skin and the head becoming a shrunken hideous caricature, with a gelatinous cowl now covering any semblance of humanity. The end potential result is a horrific creature, with nearly every feature of a Neomorph, but most notably a now bulbous translucent cowl displaying partially hidden dark eyes or what used to be them perhaps- it's unclear, also pale translucent skin, enlongated limbs and possibly a new limb, additional back protrusions, extra fingers and a pharyngeal jaw. It also changes from a mostly bipedal stance to a quadrupedal stance. Charlie Holloway is the beginning, infected by a minute dosage and infecting others- with the potential to create a Trilobite and then Deacon with a sexual partner. With Fifield being the middle, transforming into a bulbous monster, with enlongated limbs and numerous features of a Neomorph, completely primal destroying everyone in it's path known as an Abomination. Then the Engineer, the end comes- often including combustion, a horrific death.
[close]

The above isn't my opinion, it's a logical conclusion based upon all the sources available. Prometheus, Prometheus BTS, Covenant, Covenant BTS, David's Drawings, the RPG itself and more sources than I'm willing to spend the time listing.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

If "BTS" means "behind the scenes", then all of that is conjecture and opinion, and not necessarily relevant. It's not something that's actually within the films or any sources themselves.

Also, your conclusions for ingestion or exposure via the skin are based on a single case study within 'Prometheus', and one example does not make an entire conclusive data set - especially when we see that David deploys the pathogen against the Engineers and a whole shitload of them don't turn into abominations, they're just corpses.

it also isn't clear what form the pathogen even takes - sometimes it's a goo or drinkable liquid, sometimes it's some kind of airborne pathogen, sometimes it (somehow) forms spores on the ground that spawn an airborne pathogen, it's all over the place.

The Black Goo's effects are wildly inconsistent, and it's a really common complaint against the movies. Having the goo have crazy effects like we see in the comics is hardly out of the question - and, again, is the point of the goo itself. The Engineers lost control of the stuff and it destroyed their outpost on LV-223 in horrible ways, interacting with the goo causes crazy, unpredictable, but uniformly horrible effects and that's what makes it scary, just like how the Alien in the first movie was crazy, unpredictable, and generally unpleasant.

Concluding that Holloway would have become like Fifeld did is spurious at best, considering we don't see the stages that Fifeld went through to become what he did, nor do we see what Holloway would actually become since he was too busy being lit on fire.

You're really clearly arguing from a position of bad faith here - you didn't like what the comics did, so you're retroactively trying to find spurious ways to show that the comics are "impossible" or "non-canon". I can absolutely guarantee that we wouldn't be having this conversation if you liked what the comics did.

Like, you're welcome to disregard the comics, no one is going to stop you. But to declare that it's some kind of "fact" that they're "non canon" is pretty hilarious - people can choose to accept or ignore whatever they want.

Ahaha the RPG references the Harvesters from the old Leading Edge RPG, I f**king love it. This book rules.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 24, 2019, 05:06:40 PM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 15, 2019, 08:50:22 PM
It shouldn't be using non-canon (Garbage) material that contradicts the current material, case in point- everything about LV-223 past the Prometheus time period.

It's not "non-canon", nor does it contradict. The whole point of the Black Goo is that it's an unpredictable mutagenic macguffin that does weird and scary shit that you can't predict.

I thought Covenant negated everything in F&S and TCF actually clarified what the goo does and how it works.  Am I mistaken?  ???

The Old One

The Old One

I don't count the story of LV-223 in Dark Horses' Publishing mainly, regardless of my opinion because it factually contradicts the prequels, all new lore from
numerous sources and the RPG. The Pathogen is easy to understand if you pay attention.

Spoiler
I'm not arguing from a position of good or bad faith- I'm just trying to find the facts, and when you step back it all becomes very clear. It's far from unpredictable, but I don't blame anyone for thinking that without ruminating on the Prequels considerably. But I never said anything about the exposure type affecting anything?
[close]

And everything since, Covenant, David's Drawings, TCF and The RPG back that up whether you like it or not. 

Local Trouble

Will no one take me up on my bounty for Xenomrph's collection of non-canon stuff?

SiL

I thought it was pretty obvious the black goo is liquid plot device and does whatever it needs to to push the story ahead.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Edit-- pruning.

I'd much rather agree to disagree and enjoy this super cool RPG book - it looks like it's got something for everyone and people can take from it what they want, and I think that's a really good thing.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 24, 2019, 09:51:03 PM
Will no one take me up on my bounty for Xenomrph's collection of non-canon stuff?
Shit, I'll mail you that for free - it's an empty box. :)

Quote from: SiL on Nov 24, 2019, 09:52:49 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious the black goo is liquid plot device and does whatever it needs to to push the story ahead.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Hahha the list of planets gives a shout out to Bracken's World (from the old Colonial Marines comics), and the Conestoga-class description mentions deploying EVAC fighters.

This book is the gift that keeps on giving.

Local Trouble

How does one with a moral opposition to physical media acquire this RPG if one were so inclined?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 24, 2019, 10:38:19 PM
How does one with a moral opposition to physical media acquire this RPG if one were so inclined?
The book doesn't have a full retail release until Dec 10th, I wouldn't be surprised if Free League sold a PDF version from their store after that point. I've seen lots of RPG/tabletop companies sell PDFs for their stuff.

Local Trouble

Will you have space on the bookshelf for this?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 24, 2019, 10:42:24 PM
Will you have space on the bookshelf for this?
It'll take some rearranging, but I'll make it happen.

Local Trouble

Does this RPG specify the size of LV-426?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 24, 2019, 11:08:01 PM
Does this RPG specify the size of LV-426?
It says it has a gravity of .86, like the CMTM does.

It also makes reference to Odobenus Station, from the Marine campaign in AvPClassic. That's hilariously obscure.

Local Trouble

Any references to Colonel Dr. Church yet?

Xiggz456

My bundle arrived! Beautiful presentation!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed