The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 236,231 times)

The Alien Predator

I agree with you Perfect-Organism that there doesn't need to be any conflict between AvP canons. I also like the idea of everything being in one continuity and like Predxeno, I try to put things together and for me, what doesn't make sense, I only slightly change it in my headcanon.

I treat some of these comics, novels and movies as "reports" of these incidents, and like with reports, there can be multiple reports and there can always be an error or two as nobody remembers events too perfectly.

Anyway, I see you aren't a Predator fan and that's absolutely fine. I am curious about what it is about them you don't find appealing anymore. You did mention that the thought of an entire race being obsessed in hunting was ridiculous, however, to me that is what makes them absolutely ruthless as a race.

To me, Predators are technological and sapient, but in no way would I class them as "civilized". I don't even see them as having Predator lawyers, accountants, bankers etc as funny as those examples you listed were to picture in my head. :D

But from the cities we saw in AvP-R and AVP2010 game (although that was more of an abandoned ruin) they seem to have a vastly different society to ours, one based more on rituals and strict clan rules. One fanfiction I read long ago mentioned how Predators prefer to build things by hand and to me, that would make them rather unique as opposed to us who are using more robots in factories. Obviously about their ships some things could be automated while the rest could be done by Predators. They are a very physically powerful race so building by hand does not seem out of the ordinary.

As for their currency, I like the idea of it being status based. I know some fans here are against "honour", but to me, Predator honour is based more on how "honourable" your clan deems your actions to be and not on what human opinions on honour are. For example, it's based more on being a badass and making something harder for yourself. You don't really have to disarm yourself to fight a Xenomorph Queen, nothing stops you from blasting her head apart with a charged plasma caster. Buuut... females smile upon the hunter who chucks his caster away and breaks that Queen's neck with his bare hands.

And such deeds bring respect which helps you rise among your clan and gives access to better living quarters and technology. Falling down the ranks means you lose such things just like you would in human society if you were to go bankrupt.

Since at the age of 100, it is implied that they are merely adolescents, then it is of no surprise that they may spend the earlier ages being taught by their parents or clan how to fight as well as about their technology. I think most Predators actually KNOW how to build their own masks and customize them. How many humans know how their smartphone works and would they be able to build it from scratch? Just a little hypothetical question. I would love to see this being explored about the Predators. They do seem very intelligent despite their savage brutality and strict ritualism but like I mentioned earlier, in no way are they by any means "civilized" in terms of behaviour.

And this is why I find them so appealing, there is something about a race that just doesn't give a damn and goes out there to hunt other sapients that is so appealing. I don't see Predators as allying with anything either, they seem way too isolationist for that.

The RTS game AvP Extinction gives some really good scraps on their society including their clan laws and their ruling council the "Council of Ancients" that are over 1,000 year old individuals who govern other clans which are in turn lead by Elders.

I am gonna leave you guys with this quote from a Predator in the AvP2010 game manual, what do you guys think of it and I hope Tim Lebbon explores this too:

"We are old, my brother. Our race is few and scattered. Our ancestry lost to myth. The humans are still children, creatures of desire and hubris, with no comprehension of the long hunt. Still, they make good sport. They have discovered a trophy long locked away. They must not be allowed to find the crucible that spawned our most respected prey. If they succeed, all life will succumb to the crawling dark...".

Speaking of AvP2010, I remember the Predator telling me to "breach their primitive security systems" while in the lab, I love how even the year 2209 human technology is "primitive" to these guys. Plus apparently they consider the marine war tactics to be "juvenile" according to Wikipedia but I couldn't find that during the game.

I wonder how they will compare technologically to 25th/26th century humanity. One thing I love doing so much in this franchise is comparing the two races tech wise. And now with the addition of more races, it's becoming even more fun to add in other contenders. To me, Predators are definitely "up there" in the list of advancements while humans could be mid-tier.

Ultramorph

The summary over on Amazon has been changed slightly, I think to be less spoilerific. It now omits any reference to the xenos being controlled.

QuoteThe first in an epic trilogy crossing between Predator, Alien, and AVP! When Predator spacecraft begin entering human space in alarming numbers, headed toward Earth, the Colonial Marines assume it's an invasion and launch a full military response. Then when they discover the presence of Xenomorphs, they realize the threat is more catastrophic than anything they could have imagined! Beginning an epic three-book space war that will include: Predator: Incursion; Alien: Invasion; Alien vs. Predator: Armageddon.

http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Incursion-Rage-War-1/dp/1783296240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428340711&sr=8-1&keywords=rage+war+lebbon

Corporal Hicks

Bet Tim is happy now xD

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2015, 05:29:32 PM
Bet Tim is happy now xD

Yeah but we still know about some details than originally intended.  :laugh:

TheBATMAN

Are you gents lining up a new chat with Tim about the upcoming novel?

The Alien Predator

Man, the wait for this novel is killing me! It is so close! Just a couple of more months.

Anyone got anymore speculations or things to discuss about the novels? This thread was pretty silent lately.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jul 01, 2015, 10:46:45 PM
Are you gents lining up a new chat with Tim about the upcoming novel?

Nothing planned yet but I intend to when we get closer to release.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jul 01, 2015, 10:54:25 PM
Anyone got anymore speculations or things to discuss about the novels? This thread was pretty silent lately.

No new details out.  :-\

HuDaFuK

I'd completely forgotten about this. Might have to put a pre-order in.

Ultramorph

Still looking forward to this. Hopefully it lives up to its potential. I like the idea of a three-book space war. The one thing I'm really pulling for is for some Arcturians and dog-aliens to show up.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. I'd really like them to expand a bit more (and go somewhere with it!).

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 02, 2015, 11:42:02 AM
Still looking forward to this. Hopefully it lives up to its potential. I like the idea of a three-book space war. The one thing I'm really pulling for is for some Arcturians and dog-aliens to show up.

Aw hell yeah!

And to explore the ship weaponry of both the Colonial Marines and Predators.

Also to explore how the Predators deal in such situations of strife that they seem to be in. How this possible alliance with humans could shape their culture further, if their opinions may change on us.

And who knows? A wild Engineer may even turn up.  ;D

I'm so pre-ordering this when September hits.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jul 02, 2015, 04:03:43 PM
And to explore the ship weaponry of both the Colonial Marines and Predators.

This is something I'd really like to see more of.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Predator: Incursion has an updated summary over on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Incursion-Rage-War-1/dp/1783296240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438015297&sr=8-1&keywords=tim+lebbon+rage+war&pebp=1438015302135&perid=1N18VP15GBVSP17EX9VE
Spoiler
QuotePredator ships stream into human space in unimaginable numbers. The Colonial Marines, controlled by Weyland-Yutani, respond to the incursion, thus entering

THE RAGE WAR

This terrifying assault by the Yautja cannot go unchallenged, yet the cost of combat is high. Predators are master combatants, and each encounter yields a high body count. Then when Lt. Johnny Mains and his marines—the VoidLarks—enter the fray, they discover an enemy deadlier than any could imagine.

BOOK ONE IN AN EPIC TRILOGY

...that continues in ALIEN: INVASION and concludes in ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: ARMAGEDDON. The universe will forever be changed.
[close]

One thing that jumped out at me
Spoiler
VoidLarks....Larke....
[close]

Probably nothing, but still amusing. Can't wait for this book. I hope it lives up to the promise of changing the universe.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 27, 2015, 04:46:54 PMThe Colonial Marines, controlled by Weyland-Yutani

Lame.

Also, would the Colonial Marines even exist over 300 years after Aliens?!

Ultramorph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2015, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 27, 2015, 04:46:54 PMThe Colonial Marines, controlled by Weyland-Yutani

Lame.

Also, would the Colonial Marines even exist almost 300 years after Aliens?!

They basically reset the universe in Sea of Sorrows, getting rid of the USM and bringing W-Y and the Marines back.

I'm not thrilled by the "controlled by W-Y" thing, but I suspect, given the ending of Sea of Sorrows, that there's something interseting in store for what role W-Y will play in Rage War.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed