Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,495 times)

SM

SM

The Alien spends some time flexing it's not at all floppy tongue on the Narcissus without killing anyone.

The Fiorina creature fires out the tongue after Dillon wrestles Kevin from it.

And that one on the Auriga used it to press a button.

SiL

SiL

The original Alien's tongue looked like it was made out of bone. Nothing floppy about it.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SiL on Dec 16, 2020, 04:22:17 AM
The original Alien's tongue looked like it was made out of bone. Nothing floppy about it.

As it should be.  Doubtless there will be a half dozen variant covers so hopefully some of them will avoid "tongue-gate".

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 07, 2020, 08:29:29 PM
So from what I'm gathering here, this seems like it is going to be an ongoing series, rather than a miniseries like we've been used to all all of Dark Horse's various runs.

That could be a good thing. Guess we'll find out.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 07, 2020, 09:09:56 PM
Yeah I don't like the sound of new breed but ill give it a shot.

New breed? Great, back to dumb lol.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 07, 2020, 09:15:57 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 07, 2020, 09:09:56 PM
Yeah I don't like the sound of new breed but ill give it a shot.

I'm not opposed to a mutation or whatever, Dark Horse had been pumping stuff out like that for decades for better or worse (and that is often why I cite Alien: Resurrection as being a Dark Horse comic come to life), but it just kind of baffles me that they want that to be the very first thing of theirs that people read. Especially with this being an ongoing, you'd think they'd be playing it a bit safer by having the first six issues would play out like a traditional Alien(s) story and then at the end of issue six tease this mutant thing to run through the next arc in issues 7-12.

This exactly. Defiance, Labyrinth and the like worked without 2 IQ mutant stories.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 07, 2020, 09:58:56 PM
The bendy jaw! Brought to you by the fans of Crabators! 🦀

Other than that, this guy's excited! (Except the new breed of Xenomorphs makes me involuntarily flinch a bit.)

They had to bend the inner jaw...guess they never saw Alien...always a bad sign.

Quote from: Bug hunt wilson on Dec 08, 2020, 02:17:23 PM
Uncle marvel back at it again this time molsteing a new franchise but who knows It might be good I just not going to hold out hope so I can't be disspaonted no matter what

Lol.

BlueMarsalis79

It's bended before, onscreen and offscreen. In fact I remember H.R Giger lamenting how "tube like" the inner jaw became in it's practical form. Then went on to improve it in his own words with a tongue designed to push down your throat and pull your intestines out.

HuDaFuK

Does the Alien not bend its jaw slightly after punching through Elgyn's chest in Resurrection, when it spits out the bit of gristle?

[cancerblack]

Pretty sure it does, although I'm sure the case will be made that they're hybrids and don't count.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 17, 2020, 09:34:50 AM
Does the Alien not bend its jaw slightly after punching through Elgyn's chest in Resurrection, when it spits out the bit of gristle?
Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 07, 2020, 10:54:45 PM
About 45 seconds in. (But I chalk this up to the DNA mishmash from the cloning process. As far as we know, the xenos in every other movie couldn't do this.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6N_gS3oXQ

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 06:31:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz8jHD6JqU

Haven't listened to it yet: http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/audio/podcasts/the-fanbase-weekly/item/11466-fanbase-feature-an-exclusive-interview-with-writer-phillip-kennedy-johnson-on-crafting-the-first-alien-story-from-marvel-comics

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 06:36:48 AM
Haven't listened to it yet: http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/audio/podcasts/the-fanbase-weekly/item/11466-fanbase-feature-an-exclusive-interview-with-writer-phillip-kennedy-johnson-on-crafting-the-first-alien-story-from-marvel-comics

So from what I've listened to so far - sounds like the intent is it be an ongoing series with mini-arcs like any of the other Marvel titles. First arc seems to be under the working title of Bloodlines/Spring. Marvel seems to have been hands-off editorially with this one, with the only real thing being they wanted to replicate Aliens which Johnson pushed back on, and seems to be going for more of an Alien-vibe.

DNA reflex seems like it is coming into play here. But the original Big Chap is going to be represented. We'll see more Gigeresque design elements too.

Johnson considers this his best work.

Not gonna lie, listening to Johnson talk about this is getting me really excited for what he's bringing to the table! Thanks for sharing that podcast!

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 06:31:54 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 06:36:48 AM

So from what I've listened to so far - sounds like the intent is it be an ongoing series with mini-arcs like any of the other Marvel titles. First arc seems to be under the working title of Bloodlines/Spring. Marvel seems to have been hands-off editorially with this one, with the only real thing being they wanted to replicate Aliens which Johnson pushed back on, and seems to be going for more of an Alien-vibe.

Totally missed this interview, but listening now and it seems like he's hitting a lot of notes that interest me. He has an interesting take on the prequel stuff, he actually likes Alien 3, is intrigued by Call/Autons in Alien: Resurrection despite not liking the film, and I appreciate that he pushed back a bit on the Aliens influence. I adore Aliens, it is a damn near film, but it shouldn't be the sole reference point of the series.

What I find most interesting, though, is that he's drawing from a well of Giger art outside of his Alien work as well...

I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic about this comic than I had been.

Corporal Hicks

Not watched yet, but another interview.

skhellter

Relevant info he dropped:

- This is a new continuity in the Alien comics.
- Only Alien and Aliens matter for his story, as the writer isn't confident that any of the other movies will matter for the "canon" once the dust settles over at Disney.

Kimarhi

The above is kind of what I figured all along.

It will be telling if they can get Scott onboard the tv series as a producer though.  I think he wouldn't go for it if Prometheus and Covenant were nuked.

The only selling point I think Disney would have is if they promised Scott a redux on the movies because of the new continuity OR a different series for him to helm. 

Voodoo Magic

It seems like he was uncertain if Dark Horse continuity would remain/be ported over to Marvel, seemingly anticipating a retcon of everything after Aliens, and a returning character from Alien & Aliens??

Very excited to check out this comic and delve into our new Alien future!

skhellter

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 20, 2020, 07:36:47 PM
It seems like he was uncertain if Dark Horse continuity would remain/be ported over to Marvel, seemingly anticipating a retcon of everything after Aliens, and a returning character from Alien & Aliens?

Jonesy will feature heavily in the comic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed