"Freezers" How do they work? Pragmatism vs Theory

Started by Spoonman101, Jun 24, 2014, 03:16:17 PM

Author
"Freezers" How do they work? Pragmatism vs Theory (Read 4,683 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2014, 09:50:44 PM
Adult teeth, too, which rules out Newt.

I guess they went through with it after all and impregnated Hicks despite Michael Biehn's objections.  :laugh:

Those sly FOXes!  :laugh:

OpenMaw

Well the editing makes it vague, but i'm pretty sure the intention was always for Newt, then Ripley, to be the ones impregnated. The ADI guys built that effect for the tube going down Ripley's throat (That's taken from their words on the matter.)

Local Trouble

Script says the queen embryo swam out of Newt's mouth and into Ripley's so I'm not sure I take the ADI guys' word as gospel either.

Empirical evidence leads to Hicks.

SM

Whoever said hypersleep subjects are "frozen solid"?

It's simply a form of suspended animation.  The body is still working.  There is still brain activity.

And despite what the CMTM says, it's not necessary for supralight travel.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm wondering now if all of the characters were simply being facetious about dreaming during hypersleep.

OpenMaw

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 24, 2014, 10:19:23 PM
You won't be frozen solid at −150 °C?

Again, that is presuming we take the terms used in some of the films at face value, and not accept the possibility that these terms are being used loosely/colloquially. 

Local Trouble

I like to think that words mean things and that "cryo" means "frozen."  Not sure how to reconcile that with spoken clues about brain activity during hypersleep, but Ripley sure did look good after 57 years of beddy byes.

SM

Where did the -150 figure come from?

Prometheus mentions cryo sleep, cryo stasis, and subjects dream.

Local Trouble

Can't you just end this whole discussion with a proclamation?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2014, 10:45:38 PM
I like to think that words mean things and that "cryo" means "frozen."  Not sure how to reconcile that with spoken clues about brain activity during hypersleep, but Ripley sure did look good after 57 years of beddy byes.

So when a person uses slang terminology you take them literally?  :laugh:

"Roll down the window will ya?" does not mean you literally roll the pane of glass down like it were a carpet rolled into a tube. Same principle. When Parker says "Why do you freeze him?" I never once thought he meant literally freezing Kane into a popsicle. I took it to mean an arrestation of function, to hold in the current state thereof. There's a huge chasm between those two meanings, and plenty of evidence that falls on either side.

Just going by the visual look of things (Aside from the opening of ALIENS which, as someone previously pointed out was more likely due to the Narcissus drifting through cold space for 57 years. The whole ship was frozen looking.)

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2014, 10:46:50 PM
Where did the -150 figure come from?

Prometheus mentions cryo sleep, cryo stasis, and subjects dream.

From "cryo" I think.  :D

SiL

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2014, 10:52:14 PM
"Roll down the window will ya?" does not mean you literally roll the pane of glass down like it were a carpet rolled into a tube.
You used to roll the handle to bring the window down, though :P

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2014, 10:52:14 PMSo when a person uses slang terminology you take them literally?  :laugh:

Indeed.  It makes life rather awkward at times.  :(

SM

QuoteFrom "cryo" I think.

So, essentially nowhere then.

QuoteWhen Parker says "Why do you freeze him?" I never once thought he meant literally freezing Kane into a popsicle. I took it to mean an arrestation of function, to hold in the current state thereof. There's a huge chasm between those two meanings, and plenty of evidence that falls on either side.

When Parker said "Why don't you guys freeze him?"  (twice effectively) he meant put Kane into hypersleep so if he was sick it would stop the disease in its tracks, and he could get proper care on Earth.

QuoteJust going by the visual look of things (Aside from the opening of ALIENS which, as someone previously pointed out was more likely due to the Narcissus drifting through cold space for 57 years. The whole ship was frozen looking.)

The marines hypersleep tubes were frosted up, but the whole ship wasn't as cold.

QuoteCan't you just end this whole discussion with a proclamation?

Lemme go find my quill and scroll.

Local Trouble

"I'm talkin' about breathing, not this frozen shit."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed