"Freezers" How do they work? Pragmatism vs Theory

Started by Spoonman101, Jun 24, 2014, 03:16:17 PM

Author
"Freezers" How do they work? Pragmatism vs Theory (Read 5,136 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Do they ever use the word "cryogenic" in any of the films?

OpenMaw

I'm pretty sure "Cryosleep" comes up in Alien 3 and I seem to remember something along those lines in Alien Resurrection.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

mmm... You see the very definition of Cryogenics (or Cryo for short) rests on extremely low temperatures below −150 °C. If Cryosleep is an official technical term in the Alien universe then it would mean that they most likely do get frozen solid.

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2014, 08:27:14 PMI never thought it was literally "freezing" the subjects. That, more than likely, is just a euphemism used by those who have lived with the technology and humorously liken the experience to being in a near vegetative state, or alternatively referring to "freezing" in the sense of it is halting any changes in bio-chemistry within the person's body, or at the least reducing it a few hundred fold.

But the computers say it too.  "Fire in cryogenic compartment..." 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Which then begs the question. How does the facehugger impregnate a solidly frozen Ripley?

Or is it merely sitting on her face waiting for her to defrost?

Spoonman101

Hmm I think we may have found another contradiction in the Alien universe... (Next to Ash's routine jogs haha)
As for cryonic practice I believe there is a coagulant like antifreeze they use as an imitation for nucleating proteins, it replaces the water in a persons body. At best they can inject that in them but I don't have any evidence on what the consequences can do to a living person. If anyone is willing to search what that coagulant is it might explain further details.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 24, 2014, 08:55:40 PM
Which then begs the question. How does the facehugger impregnate a solidly frozen Ripley?

"Stasis interrupted."

Besides, there's no evidence that it got to Ripley before the EEV crashed and there's plenty against.  She would have been more or less thawed out by then.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2014, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 24, 2014, 08:55:40 PM

"Stasis interrupted."

Besides, there's no evidence that it got to Ripley before the EEV crashed.  She would have been more or less thawed out by then.

Just re-watched that segment. It shows us the scan of the hugger on Ripley's face at the same time the computer voice says "stasis interrupted". But like I said, maybe it was simply waiting for her to "thaw".

Local Trouble

Watch it again.  Ripley's cryotube was still intact AFTER that scene.  It wasn't Ripley.  SM said it can only be Hicks.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2014, 08:45:59 PM
But the computers say it too.  "Fire in cryogenic compartment..."

I completely forgot about that. I just watched Alien 3 a week ago.

@Spoonman101

I do remember reading about the usage of Anti Freeze or some such similar substance in the Cryonic trials. The problem with it is, well... It causes even further damage to the body in the process. That was some years ago, but even still I doubt they'll crack the glaring issues with cryonics anytime soon. There are so many things that have to be, essentially, perfected before the program can work. Any one of them going wrong would kill the subject, and cause severe damage to any deceased subjects.

I think the term "Stasis" leans even further to this being some kind of an augmented hibernation process, suspending life functions and/or greatly limiting them.

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2014, 09:46:51 PMThat was some years ago, but even still I doubt they'll crack the glaring issues with cryonics anytime soon.

I know, right?  Here we are with FTL drives in our space shuttles and we still can't crack that damn cryonics issue...  >:(

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2014, 09:44:12 PM
Watch it again.  Ripley's cryotube was still intact AFTER that scene.  It wasn't Ripley.  SM said it can only be Hicks.

Yep, that scan looks like it might be a male.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Adult teeth, too, which rules out Newt.

I guess they went through with it after all and impregnated Hicks despite Michael Biehn's objections.  :laugh:

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 24, 2014, 09:49:18 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 24, 2014, 09:46:51 PMThat was some years ago, but even still I doubt they'll crack the glaring issues with cryonics anytime soon.

I know, right?  Here we are with FTL drives in our space shuttles and we still can't crack that damn cryonics issue...  >:(

FTL would be a little harder than cryonics. Yet, in terms of understanding how we might do it, we're closer to FTL than we are cryo.

Of course that also depends on how you're looking at it. Theory/principle are not quite the same as engineering hurdles.

Local Trouble

How about 'splody fusion reactors?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed