"Hey, I thought you were dead? Yeah I get that a lot."

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 27, 2014, 03:25:04 PM

Author
"Hey, I thought you were dead? Yeah I get that a lot." (Read 23,535 times)

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

This is the only forum where I actually find fans defending Resurrection. I believe this film is still one of the most underrated films in the series. Even far worse underrated than Alien 3. Alien 3 has actually gained some notoriety over the coming years because of the improved Assembly Cut and the dark themes throughout the film which really set a tone with many fans. In the world of the films man LV-426 was toast. After the Nuclear Processor blew it was like a Nuclear Bomb going off. The nest and the rest of the Aliens would of been wiped out easily. The Derelict Ship was destroyed also in the blast considering how close it was to Hadley's Hope. It probably wouldn't of survived either. Remember Bishop saying, "In 20 minutes this place is going to be a vapor cloud the size of Nebraska." So there's no way "Going back to where the aliens came from." Like Aliens Colonial Marines suggests. Sorry guys.. So what are you left with? Your left with the only way to bring back the species....to clone Ripley in hopes of birthing a new Alien Queen. I honestly don't give a crap about the technical jargin "how could they clone a queen alien inside a new Ripley??" blah blah blah. Cloning Ripley seemed like THE BEST way to bring back Ripley from the dead and not only that but I think they did a pretty good job conveying that with the aborted clone scene. That scene showed the audience that what the scientists were doing was clearly wrong and what the Military had been hiding was nothing good. They made it believable, fun and entertaining. Cloning Ripley seemed much more logical than going back to a desolate, destoryed planet with nothing but nuclear waste to touch. It wasn't an option to swing with and Sigourney Weaver along with 20th Century Fox didn't want to go back to earth either after Resurrection. I learned to really appreciate the four films and filmmakers of the franchise, and one of the first things I learned was that the first four Alien films are spectacular achievements of science fiction cinema as well as the 5th part Prometheus. Part four is yet another amazingly impressive Alien film. I watch it all the time whenever I watch the series.

There is a negligible subplot involving a group of shady characters headed by the wonderfully sinister Michael Wincott as Frank Elgyn, who promises his men won't start trouble or get into any fights if they are allowed to stay on board for a few days and nights. I also have to mention Ron Perlman, who just has a face for this kind of movie. Probably most recognizable as Hellboy, this has to be one of the least appreciated actors of the last few decades. In just over 20 years he has acted in more than 150 films and TV shows, and at the time of this writing he has 18 projects in the works. Unbelievable! He also has one of the best lines in the movie ("Whats the big deal *beep* waste of ammo....must be a chick thing).

The aliens are at times the thing that will really enhance this movie, and in my opinion they were impressive. The occasional CGI effects are nicely convincing, and they didn't overdo them. Even the aliens swimming underwater was not too much for me to accept, perhaps given the automatic tension that is immediately generated in almost any movie where someone has to hold their breath for a long period of time. This went on far and long and created some very good tension. I would also argue that this is the goriest of all of the four alien movies, particularly at the end, but also contains some of the best comic relief. This combination makes the movie highly entertaining, even following in the long shadows of its spectacular predecessors.

There is a high energy scene in the third act of the film where Perlman's character performs a daredevil stunt (which he did in real life) to shoot one of the pursuing aliens dead which is followed by what has to be the funniest spider killing in film history. I haven't laughed out loud like that at a movie in a long, long time. It is so obvious that everyone jumps on the bandwagon about bashing this movie. No one ever gives this film a second chance and I don't think many understood what Jean-Pierre Jeunet was trying to say with this film. I see nothing but whiny, pouting little brats and trolls whimpering and griping about little nitpicky details in the movie, condemning the third sequel in the Alien quadrilogy as a travesty and an embarrassment and a pathetic way to end the series. Just so many haters...

Stupid people in large numbers, man. It's sad to see such a clear mob mentality slamming a movie that is much more F'in better than most people say. But its a great installment in the series, and you could certainly do a lot worse for some fun popcorn sci-fi on a Friday night. but it is clear to me that Alien: Resurrection has yet to receive the respect it deserves.

Kimarhi

I must be stupid then. 

Movie is terrible Alien movie.

It is merely okay if you take it away from the franchise and watch it by itself.  But to each their own.

Elmazalman

Quote from: winddownandsmoke92 on Feb 27, 2014, 03:25:04 PM
I see nothing but whiny, pouting little brats and trolls whimpering and griping about little nitpicky details in the movie, condemning the third sequel in the Alien quadrilogy as a travesty and an embarrassment and a pathetic way to end the series. Just so many haters...

All the films have been nitpicked and criticised here.

RagingDragon

Well imo it is a pathetic way to end the series, and completely nuked any possibility for further movies in the same universe with just a few throw-away lines.

But I think you'll find a wide variety of opinions here. I like the movie, but will agree with some that it was a terrible move for the franchise.

SM

QuoteI see nothing but whiny, pouting little brats and trolls whimpering and griping about little nitpicky details in the movie, condemning the third sequel in the Alien quadrilogy as a travesty and an embarrassment and a pathetic way to end the series. Just so many haters...

What about people who have legitimate gripes with the dialogue or pacing?

Resurrection does get way more vitriol than it deserves - but it's in no way above criticism.

RagingDragon

This is... this is second thread same thread :D

Inception!

Bwaam!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0I1DrqvW3Y#ws

Local Trouble

Alien Resurrection was garbage.

Scree

I adore Alien Resurrection. Still one of the best movie experiences I've ever had in the theater. Four times. Yes, it's different from the others but that's ok because each Alien movie has it's own feel and look. That's the beauty of this film series. Yes, it is more silly and more like a comic book. I'm wonder why it's not a lot more popular today since pretty much everyone here is a Marvel movie junkie and A:R definitely has that vibe, thanks to Joss Whedon.

stephen

I'm glad you like it.

I personally don't.

It would have been interesting to see the themes explored in greater detail - like what it means to be human etc.  I mean it had a good set up in Ripley being part human part alien, but I felt that it wasn't explored enough.

Not to mention I think the style of the film was completely out of touch with the other three.  That's not always a bad thing but in this case I think it is.

But hey, you liked it and that's great.

Rabbit2100

It was Fox's way to begin milking the franchise. It shat all over what the last 3 alien films were about stylistically. The entire alien series has a gritty grungey feel, one of the reasons ridley scott chose a dark and drab tone was to set it apart from films like star wars which gave their viewers a more vibrant, almost glossy sci-fi. and alien resurrection was all gloss.

SiL

The original Star Wars was pretty grungy. Escapist fantasy, but grungy-lookin'.

SM

Yeah Star Wars did the "used universe" thing before Alien did.

QuoteIt was Fox's way to begin milking the franchise.

That began with Aliens.

SiL

You mean the Mantis Alien and Gorilla Alien and Snake Alien weren't deeply held artistic and creative expressions by a team of profoundly inspired artists? :o

Xhan

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2014, 12:05:30 PM
You mean the Mantis Alien and Gorilla Alien and Snake Alien weren't deeply held artistic and creative expressions by a team of profoundly inspired artists? :o

you make randy sadface.

Local Trouble

Quote from: stephen on Mar 04, 2014, 06:31:50 AM
But hey, you liked it and that's great.

I wish I liked it.  I wish I liked the AvP films too.  I don't like being disappointed.  >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed