"Best" Ripley

Started by aliennaire, Nov 07, 2011, 12:03:06 AM

Which film's Ripley do you like most of all?

Alien
13 (31%)
Aliens
23 (54.8%)
Alien^3
5 (11.9%)
No preferences
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author
"Best" Ripley (Read 3,302 times)

predxeno

predxeno

No preferences, aren't they all essentially the same person?

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 07, 2011, 11:24:31 PM
No preferences, aren't they all essentially the same person?

Yes, basically, it's the same face and invariable name from film to next one, however, if to look at my question from the ancient philosopher's slant, who insisted one can't step in the the same river twice, it's quite easy to spot different (and presumably consequent) stages of character's maturation, when she goes through hardship, caused by our famous antagonist, and not only them.

Also, I suppose there is a swarm of reasons, by which one can choose that or this Ripley's embodiment as their favourite of her. Heard the opinion, that Weaver is a superb dramatic actress, hence A^3 was her best role of Alien series. On the other hand her character seems to fully unfold its strength at Aliens, so you can find devotees to Cameron's Ripley, and so on.

I just wanted with my poll to gather as much opinions, as it's possible to draw the average picture of her.

And I like to learn people's motifs for preferences, selecting between the variants.  :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: aliennaire on Dec 08, 2011, 08:49:10 PM
if to look at my question from the ancient philosopher's slant, who insisted one can't step in the the same river twice,
Heraclitus

Heraclitus everywhere.

DARIAS93

DARIAS93

Ripley in Aliens, no doubt.  Film audiences will remember her for ages.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

I feel II is the most iconic. III brought the character ark to a sad though fitting conclusion.
I personally enjoyed her in the 1st film because she fit nicely into the "final girl" mold, as per the horror genre the movie was based on. More so than any other chapter, you can feel her fear. The Laurie Strode of science fiction films.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 11, 2011, 06:12:36 PM
Heraclitus

Heraclitus everywhere.
:P

Quote from: TheMonolith on Dec 13, 2011, 08:15:24 PM
...because she fit nicely into the "final girl" mold, as per the horror genre the movie was based on.

I suppose, for science fiction genre the analogous term might be coined as most intuitive character (regardless of their gender), since there is often the one, who somehow knows from the beginning, what's wrong and right and who is mainly derided or distrusted by their peers.

TheMonolith and AVPVT Extinction, thank you for your input!  :)

PsyKore

PsyKore

I voted Aliens. For me, the scene that really grabs me is when she's unloading the Pulse Rifle and Grenades into the Queen's nest; her face conveys so much anguish and hatred, and you can see that she's unloading a lot of pain she's felt in that moment. What I think is a nice touch, too, is that the Pulse Rifle starts sputtering and firing erratically from her squeezing the trigger down too long, but she's so filled with rage she can't help it.

The thing I like about Ripley is she's affected emotionally but she fights through it all, which might sound corny I guess, but I find it uplifting and that scene conveys that aspect of her character really well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed