Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,397 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 05:18:01 PM
That's stupid. We're a niche gaming market though. As I have said these are "old people" franchises. At least I did my due diligence in buying 2 copies...PC and Xbox1.

Oh well.

I will never ever agree with this statement. Alien and Predator aren't "old people" franchises. With each "restart" of the franchise you get influxes of new fans. You get people becoming fans at random ass points too. I've been playing Alien and Predator since I was a wee nipper, near enough exclusively in my early teens.

I'm 30 this year. I'm jazzed to have a new mobile game. The last one is a few years old now and as f**king fun as that was, I'm ready for a new thing.

I didn't expect an Isolation 2. We've known for years that it didn't do well enough commercially. We also know that Fox was showing us Amanda was accessible in more than just Isolation.

SM

Corporal Hicks

AhabPredator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 10, 2019, 09:30:46 AM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 05:18:01 PM
That's stupid. We're a niche gaming market though. As I have said these are "old people" franchises. At least I did my due diligence in buying 2 copies...PC and Xbox1.

Oh well.

I will never ever agree with this statement. Alien and Predator aren't "old people" franchises. With each "restart" of the franchise you get influxes of new fans. You get people becoming fans at random ass points too. I've been playing Alien and Predator since I was a wee nipper, near enough exclusively in my early teens.

I'm 30 this year. I'm jazzed to have a new mobile game. The last one is a few years old now and as f**king fun as that was, I'm ready for a new thing.

I didn't expect an Isolation 2. We've known for years that it didn't do well enough commercially. We also know that Fox was showing us Amanda was accessible in more than just Isolation.

Ask 20-something's and younger about Alien and Predator. See what they say. Most of them don't know what it is or think the originals suck. Trust me, these have been my peers for ages.

SiL

Growing up I didn't know anyone my age who was interested and yet here I am, surrounded by people my age who've been interested as long as me.

Personal peer groups are awful sample sizes.

AhabPredator

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 11:28:20 AM
Growing up I didn't know anyone my age who was interested and yet here I am, surrounded by people my age who've been interested as long as me.

Personal peer groups are awful sample sizes.

High school - nobody interested
College - some knew what it was but didn't like it
Work force - a couple older folks like it, but nobody my age does.

The only reason people here like it is because this is a FAN site. This is a conglomerate of people coming together for these IPs.

Most younger people know who Thanos is but not what a Xenomorph is.

The Cruentus

Making films is definitely not simple and I do appreciete the effort that goes in to it, but I do think everyone involved in the process do needs to make sure continuity and previous films are respected.
The route The Predator went down just undermined the previous ones. The creature was better of as an alien hunter looking for a good and challenging game, nothing more. Taking trophies from a successful hunt was brilliant but now apparently, they just want spinal fluid and to invade the earth...
The dna thing is terrible and it does not work that way. I don't know why both franchises had to go down the hybrid and genetic experimentation route.

Sometimes its best to keep a film simple and stay true to its roots. At least in my opinion anyway.

I'm glad Dekker is aware of the flaws, especially when you got some filmmakers like Uwe Boll who will think their movie is brilliant and the best thing ever when its trash. :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 11:27:10 AM
Ask 20-something's and younger about Alien and Predator. See what they say. Most of them don't know what it is or think the originals suck. Trust me, these have been my peers for ages.

Plenty of people my age didn't know about the series when I was growing up. Plenty of people my age still don't know about the series. Same for people plenty older than me.

SiL

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 11:30:50 AM
Yup. Same here.

Yet here I am, surrounded by people my age approaching 30 and they've been fans as long as me. Yes, it's a fan site. That's how you find the fans.

QuoteMost younger people know who Thanos is but not what a Xenomorph is.
Ask young people again in 40 years.

AhabPredator

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 11:35:44 AM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 11:30:50 AM
Yup. Same here.

Yet here I am, surrounded by people my age approaching 30 and they've been fans as long as me. Yes, it's a fan site. That's how you find the fans.

QuoteMost younger people know who Thanos is but not what a Xenomorph is.
Ask young people again in 40 years.

We'll see what happens when I go as Ahab Predator at the next comiccon, but I have a feeling most people who will want pictures of the character not because they know who or what he is. But because it will be a really cool costume. But perhaps that's all it takes to build faith and interest again.

SiL

It's feeling like this is more to do with your specific location. I go to the local con every year and there's always A/P merch, cosplayers, and people interested in the franchises. Either you're just in a particularly empty area or you're really overselling the lack of interest. Either way, I can assure you -- it's not that bad!

SM

I don't imagine many people at a comic convention wouldn't know what a Predator is.

SiL

They might not know "who" it is, as it's Ahab specifically, but "what", definitely.

Wysps

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 11:47:20 AM
It's feeling like this is more to do with your specific location. I go to the local con every year and there's always A/P merch, cosplayers, and people interested in the franchises. Either you're just in a particularly empty area or you're really overselling the lack of interest. Either way, I can assure you -- it's not that bad!

I'll second this. I'm also 30 and all of my peers (20's to 40's) know what Predator is. Most of the men I've mentioned the fandom to (they've mostly commented on shirts I've worn in the past or the topic has been brought up randomly by way of games, movies, etc.) have expressed their liking of the franchise, even if it's not the same level of devotion like we have here. Other women have also mentioned knowing about the franchise, but I'll admit that particular peer group has been less outspoken about knowing what it is. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's your particular area or your maybe being somewhat self conscious of your level of fandom (your in good company!), it doesn't seem to match up with what I've seen in the public.

AhabPredator

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 11:47:20 AM

I've seen a Colonial Marine once in person but that was it. And then a Predator cosplayer on the news. So that's two people in this metropolitan area who like the franchises. Beyond that though, have not seen anyone else. In media or otherwise. Being in central FL, I would expect to see more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed