From The Other Side, Discussing Dan Trachtenerg's Predator 5 (aka Skulls) - AvP Galaxy Podcast #119

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 09, 2020, 04:00:50 PM

Author
From The Other Side, Discussing Dan Trachtenerg's Predator 5 (aka Skulls) - AvP Galaxy Podcast #119 (Read 15,205 times)

ace3g

I was going to post this a while ago but some names I think could be cast in this movie.

Julia Jones
Q'orianka Kilcher
Irene Bedard
Grace Dove

Zahn McClarnon
Martin Sensmeier
Tatanka Means
Rudy Youngblood
Tokala Black Elk
Forrest Goodluck

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: ace3g on Dec 14, 2020, 06:50:02 PM
I was going to post this a while ago but some names I think could be cast in this movie.

Julia Jones
Q'orianka Kilcher
Irene Bedard
Grace Dove

Nice list! I think I'd still personally go with Kelsey Asbille Chow. She just has the old soul quality. I'm not a fan of Dove's line delivery for sure, but if not Kelsey, I'd be very happy with Q'orianka Kilcher!  :)

Mr.Turok

Great episode guys, always love to hear ya'll while I'm working. I'm just happy to see that a Predator movie is comming out sonner than one thinks.

Oh as for Voodoo trying to shoehorn Greyback in this upcoming film, I would actually love more than anything is to see Greyback during the Korean War. Why put all our eggs in the basket when instead we can get another Predator film in another setting? The Korean War is history that is rarely touched upon here in the States and even in media so it would be cool to get something like Saving Private Ryan but with Predator in the Korean War.

Not to mention if we follow the usual formula to these films, the Predator is killed at the end so it wouldn't make sense for Greyback to bite the dust back then and have him in P2. I want that twist of a Predator surviving the film too but better in a rarely used setting I say.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 15, 2020, 05:31:47 PM
Great episode guys, always love to hear ya'll while I'm working. I'm just happy to see that a Predator movie is comming out sonner than one thinks.

Oh as for Voodoo trying to shoehorn Greyback in this upcoming film, I would actually love more than anything is to see Greyback during the Korean War. Why put all our eggs in the basket when instead we can get another Predator film in another setting? The Korean War is history that is rarely touched upon here in the States and even in media so it would be cool to get something like Saving Private Ryan but with Predator in the Korean War.

Not to mention if we follow the usual formula to these films, the Predator is killed at the end so it wouldn't make sense for Greyback to bite the dust back then and have him in P2. I want that twist of a Predator surviving the film too but better in a rarely used setting I say.

I always wanted to see an assortment of films dealing with a Predator in the past, though big events in history, so during the Korean War sounds great to me. That's why I am so excited that this new film will apparently take place at the time of the Comanche Warrior!

Why I hypothesized this new film could be tying in with Predator 2 was driven more by an opportune circumstance, that around the year of 1715, the Comanche were fighting Spanish colonists, and the flintlock tossed to Harrigan is a Spanish gun. It all ties to the gun. Other than Raphael Adolini sounding like an Italian name, the circumstances are perfect. But yes, that would mean the young Elder would have to survive at the end. :)

Happy to hear you liked the podcast!  :)

Xiggz456

Fun listen fellas. I for one think they should drop Predator from the name and just title it "Skulls". Predator fans will know this is Predator 5 but non Predator fans could be pulled in by the "Skulls" title. As a Marketing major I'm a bit disappointed that the marketing plan was spoiled but I'm also so excited for the announcement of the new film to the point where I'm looking forward to all the upcoming marketing regardless. I really have high hopes for this one.

Voodoo Magic

Yes!! So hoping it stays just "Skulls". Fingers crossed!!

Local Trouble

426Buddy

Little do we know it's a secret AvP film and the skulls refer to the aliens specifically.

Local Trouble

426Buddy

In that case I might have to delete my post   :-\

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 17, 2020, 01:30:58 AM
Little do we know it's a secret AvP film and the skulls refer to the aliens specifically.

I didn't get it until I saw Local's post above yours  :D

MudButt

Voodoo, I love your for mentioning Kelsey Asbille Chow. She is a great actress. I love her on Yellowstone and she has a great but small role in Wind River. I would love to see her involved in this!

Some other actors that have a Native Background that would be awesome are Gil Birmingham (Yellowstone, Wind River, Hell or High Water), Graham Greene (Wind River, Dances With Wolves), and Martin Sensmeier (The Magnificent 7 Remake).

Great shoutout to Zach McClarnon. He is awesome in Doctor Sleep as Crow Daddy.

We could get some awesome fight scenes between Comanche warriors and our favorite space hunter  8)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: MudButt on Dec 18, 2020, 12:27:11 AM
Voodoo, I love your for mentioning Kelsey Asbille Chow. She is a great actress. I love her on Yellowstone and she has a great but small role in Wind River. I would love to see her involved in this!

Some other actors that have a Native Background that would be awesome are Gil Birmingham (Yellowstone, Wind River, Hell or High Water), Graham Greene (Wind River, Dances With Wolves), and Martin Sensmeier (The Magnificent 7 Remake).

Great shoutout to Zach McClarnon. He is awesome in Doctor Sleep as Crow Daddy.

We could get some awesome fight scenes between Comanche warriors and our favorite space hunter  8)

Thanks brother!  :)

I really love the idea of adding Zach McClarnon and Graham Greene to the cast. Just discussing all these great native american actors as possibilities in a Predator film quickens the ol' pulse! Trachtenberg has a real opportunity to make something special here!

BigDaddyJohn

Geno Segers could be cool for this movie, a big badass warrior !

Wysps

Really enjoyed the podcast!  Listening to it in one sitting really does require a time commitment  :laugh:  I'm putting my thoughts under the Spoilers since I hate just leaving a wall of text.

Spoiler
First off, I'm so excited that we don't have to wait another 5, 10+ years for another Predator film.  I thought because of how poorly received the last one was, we'd definitely be looking at a 10+ year hiatus. I feel so lucky to be a Predator fan right now.  Both A and P fans have so much to look forward to going into the 2020's  :)

When you guys were talking about the potential mystical angle (portraying the Predator as if it were like a ghost or paranormal figure, rather than a Scifi alien monster), I think this could very well be an angle that they go with.  Especially with the way in which they were wanting to keep the involvement of the Predator under wraps.  It may be their intent to go back to the roots of the first movie and focus mostly on the characters outruning/out smarting the Predators, with the suspense of the Predator in the shadows/backround.  Kind of like the "monster" in It Follows.  We get to see it and recognize it's power, but we're always kept at two arm's length without really ever understanding it, if that makes sense.

I don't think it would be a stretch at all to somehow tie this film into the Predator 2 ending with the flintlock pistol.  It seems like it would be more of a hop than a leap, per se.  The setting works, loosely, as does the time period (though to be honest, it's hard for me to imagine a Predator movie taking place in the Plains or desert.  Won't that have an effect on the mystery?  Where will everyone hide?)  But going back to the setting/time period, I suppose it depends on what they mean by pre-colonization: pre-contact or pre-colony building (and then, which colonies). 

I'd love to see a female protagonist go up against a female Predator.  I think this would be the perfect opportunity to finally use one and it feel just natural to the script.  My guess is that they'll go with the portrayal in Hunting Grounds (not my first choice, but eh).  I've never really liked the reasoning that because the males are muscular with linear torsos, they are the equivalent to human males.  And therefore, the females are supposed to have breasts.  I don't buy it. 

But as far as casting choices for the female Comanche protagonist, it's too bad there aren't more known actresses to pull from.  I do see some potential problems that could impact how the film is received.  There's already a lot of issues with people acknowledging their Native American ancestry, who gets to claim their ancestry and what checkboxes they have to mark in order to do so.  Just some quick googling of the actress that you mentioned, Voodoo, already shows some controversy on the subject.  I'd hate for this film to be rejected or denounced  because of a cultural oversight or something.  That was my first thought when you guys mentioned the possibility of somehow tying in the Predators with some of the existing folklore of the tribes.   

Spoiler
So also, like what was brought up in the podcast about the contemporary gender politics, it did give me pause when I first read the movie description. Idk, I suppose whenever there's a female main it feels personal.  Like I get extra invested in it.  I'd like the female main to be taken seriously and be a good character.  The last thing I want is to be pandered to or patronized.  I truly hope they reach out to experts and give an accurate representation of life within the tribe, and not just superimpose the gender experience of Europeans at the time or in modern times.  Though I will say, from what I've read so far, there are similarities.  The captivity story of Bianca Babb is an interesting read.
[close]
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed